Page 2 of 2 First 12
Results 26 to 37 of 37

  1. Post
    #26
    Privoxy wrote:
    1 for 90 isn't very good.
    It used to be $1 for $75 and we also earned bonus cash reward too but it appeared to have stopped. Need to shop around for new card. We did a 10K transfer from another card for 12 months interest free so it was useful then.

  2. Post
    #27
    DW wrote:
    I do this and get around $4-500 worth of rewards each year (which I typically just redeem as Bunnings/other retail vouchers when I need things) + a free Air NZ flight, with American Express. I also have the lowest tier of card with Westpac for where AmEx isn't accepted.

    Not exactly a huge benefit but its better than nothing. Fees are $150 annually for the AmEx and around $40 for the Westpac card.
    We're getting rid of the Amex as it is just too limited as to where it is accepted, the payments take too long to clear and because my wife made a mistake when applying for it the credit limit is too low and they don't want to review it.

    I am also finding that 50% of the purchases we make are now attracting 2.5% service fee for Amex so there is no net gain to us. We just use the money we have now with Visa debit for online payments etc.

  3. Post
    #28
    Thats really interesting, im assuming you are using it for bill payments etc then? Most companies charge a convenience fee in that case for credit cards.

    I use an Amex Platinum Airpoints, have made a bit over $1000 in APD over the past year, I called to cancel it after the first year just recently and they offered to match the annual fee with APD

  4. Post
    #29
    dickytim wrote:
    We're getting rid of the Amex as it is just too limited as to where it is accepted, the payments take too long to clear and because my wife made a mistake when applying for it the credit limit is too low and they don't want to review it.

    I am also finding that 50% of the purchases we make are now attracting 2.5% service fee for Amex so there is no net gain to us. We just use the money we have now with Visa debit for online payments etc.
    That is surprising.

    Nearly all my monthly APs are with my AmEx (power, mobile with 2degrees and Skinny, insurance, Spotify, Netflix), all our groceries, fuel, any purchases at major retailers and online retailers, and I so far haven't incurred any additional fees that I'm aware of (since switching from the previously used Visa).

    We still have a Visa, but our monthly AmEx bill is approx. twice as big as the Visa.

  5. Post
    #30
    Skinny Broadband don't accept Amex at all, Vodafone, Contact energy, Watercare etc all put a fee on, Contact is 1% for not using direct debit, then a 2.5% service fee for Amex. We were paying more for these than the points were worth.

    Petrol, groceries etc. there is not service fee, but the local fruit and veg shop don't accept it, and a lot of smaller shops in our area don't.

    To be honest the whole credit card thing is not worth the effort. We're taking our free flight and cutting it up.

  6. Post
    #31
    dickytim wrote:
    Skinny Broadband don't accept Amex at all, Vodafone, Contact energy, Watercare etc all put a fee on, Contact is 1% for not using direct debit, then a 2.5% service fee for Amex. We were paying more for these than the points were worth.

    Petrol, groceries etc. there is not service fee, but the local fruit and veg shop don't accept it, and a lot of smaller shops in our area don't.

    To be honest the whole credit card thing is not worth the effort. We're taking our free flight and cutting it up.
    I can't see any reference that Vodafone charge any excess for AmEx (they do appear to have a general fee for one-off credit card payments however, not just for AmEx).

    I've seen people comment on the "effort" before, but there really isn't any once you've got the card. I signed up for my card, and after that I don't do anything other than claim rewards. I use my Amex for most purchases, and if they aren't accepted I just pull out my other card. My bills are paid automatically each month.

  7. Post
    #32
    Lots of places charge more for Amex. Makes sense, costs them more than Visa or MasterCard and most people have those so there's no real incentive.

    I think by effort, he's referring to not being able to use the same card all the time and having to work out where he can and can't use it. Some people might have the time for that, I know I don't.

  8. Post
    #33
    bradc wrote:
    Lots of places charge more for Amex. Makes sense, costs them more than Visa or MasterCard and most people have those so there's no real incentive.

    I think by effort, he's referring to not being able to use the same card all the time and having to work out where he can and can't use it. Some people might have the time for that, I know I don't.
    I don't really think a lot of places do charge a premium over other cards. Perhaps they did in the past, but not once have I paid for something at the point of sale with Amex and had them adjust the sale price.

    I can't speak for how other people shop but I don't tend to go to "new" shops all that often. 95% of my spending is done at the same places regularly, so you already know whether its accepted or not.

    If it's somewhere that you don't usually shop, its typically displayed at the point of sale. I wouldn't consider that any level of real "effort", but everybody is different I suppose. In this scenario, its really no different to knowing if they accept credit cards at all and having to establish that before making your payment.

  9. Post
    #34
    Perhaps you are just lucky with the group of retailers you do business with. 20% of online retailers won't accept Amex and more again in physical stores. It's more accepted with larger businesses, if that helps, so if you're mainly groceries, utilities, etc with the card then you won't notice it much.

  10. Post
    #35
    DW wrote:
    I can't see any reference that Vodafone charge any excess for AmEx (they do appear to have a general fee for one-off credit card payments however, not just for AmEx).

    I've seen people comment on the "effort" before, but there really isn't any once you've got the card. I signed up for my card, and after that I don't do anything other than claim rewards. I use my Amex for most purchases, and if they aren't accepted I just pull out my other card. My bills are paid automatically each month.
    You are right about Vodafone. I had made the mistake of assuming the convenience fee was for all transactions.

    As for effort, it is subjective, and in my case the effort is managing the wife and her usage, personally I could do this, but the outside factor makes is not worth the effort.

  11. Post
    #36
    I guess it depends on your spending habits. I usually do my shopping at shopping centers and major online marketplaces and have had no problems at all using AMEX as my main card.

    So far the only ones who do not take AMEX are the dentist and one courier company so not a huge deal for me.

  12. Post
    #37
    When im shopping somewhere new I just try the amex, and if it doesnt work, i use my free asb platinum visa, no harm and I know for next time. But yeah, as above, it seems to be just cafes and small shops that don't accept amex.