Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

RDR2: 6 months later - Masterpiece or Sluggish Snail?

Googling RDR2 followed by keywords like "boring,slow or sluggish," yields some pretty interesting articles and reddit posts over the last six months since its release re the game and it kinda surprising for a game that was so anticipated and was at one point pegged to win game of the year before God of War.

I share a lot of the same issues and complaints that have been expressed since its release six months ago.

I gave up pretty quickly when it first came out. Tbh it was kinda daunting given how massive it was. Theres no denying its a visually stunning game. I have actually just redownloaded the game as id like to give it another try. As id really like to get further into the story. How do you feel about it now that its had time to sink in? Do you share any of the same complaints or issues that have popped up since its release or do you still see it as a masterpiece?

2. Post
    I get overwhelmed with choice with open world games

3. Post
    My favorite game I've played in the last 10+ years. Absolute masterpiece

4. Post
    I personally think it's a masterpiece, albeit one that plays terribly.

I actually struggled with fatigue when playing the game. It felt so heavy and exhausting. But at the same time, the game world, the plot, the characters, the sheer bounty of options it gives you... it's truly a masterpiece in that regard. If the gameplay wasn't so awful, it'd be a 10/10 in my books because just about everything else about it deserves a 10, but alas one major glaring flaw really lets it down.

Alas GTA V, RDR1 and GTA IV all suffered from the same issue...

5. Post
    I'd say it easily has the best open world of any game ever made. Just the way the world reacts to the player & the sheer variety of stuff to do is amazing. The story is really good & it's also one of the best looking games I've ever played.

Having said that I do feel the game is overrated. The mechanics are very sluggish & the missions are extremely linear & lacking in variety for an open world game . The wanted system is also a pain in the ass & is overly harsh & ridiculous at times. The upgrade systems are largely pointless & don't make much difference eg upgrading the camp doesnt really have a big effect & you never feel like your character is getting stronger etc.

For the first half of the game I though it was amazing & one of the best games ever made but that feeling slowly declined as the game went on.

6. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    The wanted system is also a pain in the ass & is overly harsh & ridiculous at times. The upgrade systems are largely pointless & don't make much difference eg upgrading the camp doesnt really have a big effect & you never feel like your character is getting stronger etc.
    100% agree with all of this.

I also really hated the bounty system with the fact that the only way to get rid of the law was to pay your bounty. It leeched away at what little money I had at the beginning of the game and really took away from the whole 'outlaw' side of things when the game actively punished you for being one and actively discouraged you from doing wild outlaw shit.

7. Post
    Another gripe I had is you get all this money during chapter 2 or 3 after that bank heist so doing petty crimes etc is pointless after that. They take away any incentive to rob stores, stage coaches etc. Also got sick of Dutch saying "We need more money" straight after making a big score. Its like wtf did he do with the money he just got lol. He's not putting it towards the camp or anything lol.

8. Post
    Funny, I just started playing this again after a few months hiatus.

I just want to get it done (then move on to God of War). But my initial reaction was just that "God this is sluggish".

Case in point, I'm in a shoot out and for some f*cking reason, Arthur always gets stuck in something. A fence. A piece of furniture. A rock. And then he'll suddenly bolt off in a random direction - like the run button registration was lagged.

I can't even be bothered with all the inane side quest. Hunting and fishing? No. Picking up randos while I'm trying to go somewhere? Not anymore.

It looks great. One of the best looking games I've seen. It's like I want to know the story, but it puts up blockades in front of that.

9. Post
    Xev wrote:
    I personally think it's a masterpiece, albeit one that plays terribly.

I actually struggled with fatigue when playing the game. It felt so heavy and exhausting. But at the same time, the game world, the plot, the characters, the sheer bounty of options it gives you... it's truly a masterpiece in that regard. If the gameplay wasn't so awful, it'd be a 10/10 in my books because just about everything else about it deserves a 10, but alas one major glaring flaw really lets it down.

Alas GTA V, RDR1 and GTA IV all suffered from the same issue...
    So the one thing that is actually important in a GAME i.e GAMEplay is awful. And they never fix it. Good reason to keep this game in the history books as the biggest flop of our generation

10. Post
    I havent heard anything good about the online side of things either

That its just cut and paste GTA online but changed for old timey days, and everything has had the grind wound up to 11 to make you buy game money with real money - is that still the case

11. Post
    I thought it was great at first, but like most games I got bored after a few sittings after getting stuck on a mission and didn't return.

The gameplay was okay, but like GTA5 it really didn't have enough to draw me back in. Thought the story was pretty good though.

12. Post
    MAC_HATER wrote:
    I havent heard anything good about the online side of things either

That its just cut and paste GTA online but changed for old timey days, and everything has had the grind wound up to 11 to make you buy game money with real money - is that still the case
    I think its still in "beta" which is an obvious sign that it's shit & they're just using that as an excuse lol

13. Post
    I finished it but it never really clicked. I played it straight after Assassins Creed Odyssey and I thought that game was infinitley better.

Loved the graphics though. And the fishing.

14. Post
    I haven't played the game yet even though I bought it months ago.Going by what people are saying about it it's a shame what Rockstar have turned into.

15. Post
    For me, how a game plays will always be the defining factor.

This game plays sluggish, slow and unintuitive so can never be considered a masterpiece

16. Post
    Is the new multiplayer shit any good?

17. Post
    Bloodline wrote:
    Is the new multiplayer shit any good?
    Nope.

18. Post
    RDR1 was hands down my favourite (non fighting) game of the PS3 generation.

I quit RDR2 at about 30%. For me, it lacked any sense of urgency and I just felt bogged down by the game's mechanics and even worse I felt like I had to fight the controls. I don't want to manage cleaning my gun etc, the "random" side quests got tiresome real fast and hunting was boring. The story lacked any sense of urgency.

I've given it a few months and considered playing it again but when even thinking about playing it I get frustrated at the thought of the mechanic and controls.

I get that some people like it and that's all good but personally this was one of my biggest gaming disappointments of the last 5 years or so.

19. Post
    I found the game just drags on and on for to long and the controls weren't the best, Spent many a time crashing my horse into things lol

I think they should tone down the cinematics and actually work on gameplay. For their next game.

20. Post
    I found moving around, looting and combat incredibly clunky. I did a few missions from the first town after the prologue, then just gave up.

21. Post
    Just finished the SP after grinding out the last 30% of the game

Sold on FB the next day

22. Post
    Tbh, it's clunky af: the shooting is pretty dog level too...it really soured me.

The story is phenomenal however, gets it an auto 8.5 from me even with the balls-dipped gunplay, overly sensitive wanted system and annoying break in pacing near the end (I hate those types of rejig breaks in pacing..like in Deus Ex's DLC).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

23. Post
    I liked the game, despite it's clunkiness.

My main issue with it though is it took forever to get from Point A to point B.

24. Post
    Is it out for PC yet?

25. Post
    brand wrote:
    Is it out for PC yet?
    I'm pretty sure they wanted to make sure SirGrim was well and truly gone before they released for PC.