Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Ultra cheap build for my 6yo

Need a third PC... wife getting sick of the 6yo dominating her PC - mostly for games like Roblox and Minecraft where a 2200G with it's Vega onboard is good enough.

Managed to smash out a fairly decent PC for fa.
    All items brand new.

Ryzen 2200G ($135 Amazon)
    Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H ($76 Amazon)
    Some-shitty-brand 256GB Nvme m.2 ($65 Amazon)
    Some-shitty-brand 8GB DDR4 2400 ($49 Amazon)
    Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 3 case ($30 Trademe)
    FSP 400W PSU ($29 Trademe) - bit dodge, but not GPU and low power CPU, should be all g WAS NOT ALL G
    All shipping costs ($32)

Total $416

Goal was to do it for under $400... so close. Could have got there if I hadn't opted for nvme, Sata only would have saved me another $20 or so.
    Last edited by pyronical; 29th May 2019 at 9:44 pm.

2. Post
    Pretty good for the coin! Especially including a SSD of any type. I would have thought the 400w will be easily enough too.

3. Post
    Makes you look twice and some of the garbage second hand machines on tards in the ~$400 range.

4. Post
    Make sure to put an RGB Strip in there !

5. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    Make sure to put an RGB Strip in there !
    lol, its a closed case.

6. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    lol, its a closed case.
    Then haphazardly drape it over the top.

7. Post
    I have this going for $400 2nd hand .. https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2153529810

Bit more risk with 2nd hand but has been my 9 year olds gaming PC without issue for 6 months

8. Post
    I would honestly go with a better PSU -you can always re-use it for a future build...

9. Post
    brand wrote:
    I would honestly go with a better PSU -you can always re-use it for a future build...
    Meh, I'll just swap the PSU out if I decide to put a GPU in in the future or something.

10. Post
    Kind of flies in the face of the all the evidence about giving children access to even more screen time imo.

My kids were part of the first generation of children to have access to computers, and by and large it was just wasted time, with obvious health risks attached.

11. Post
    Zarkov wrote:
    Kind of flies in the face of the all the evidence about giving children access to even more screen time imo.

My kids were part of the first generation of children to have access to computers, and by and large it was just wasted time, with obvious health risks attached.
    Aaahahahaha

12. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    Need a third PC... wife getting sick of the 6yo dominating her PC - mostly for games like Roblox and Minecraft where a 2200G with it's Vega onboard is good enough.

All items brand new.

FSP 400W PSU ($29 Trademe) - bit dodge, but not GPU and low power CPU, should be all g
    All shipping costs ($32)

Total $416

Goal was to do it for under $400... so close. Could have got there if I hadn't opted for nvme, Sata only would have saved me another $20 or so.
    + Operating System, GST and import costs.

TBH look at a $250-$400 second hand built computer using a SATA SSD on Trade Me / Facebook marketplace.

13. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    GST and import costs.
    Included.
    dickytim wrote:
    + Operating System,
    Ok + ~$25
    dickytim wrote:
    TBH look at a $250-$400 second hand built computer using a SATA SSD on Trade Me / Facebook marketplace.
    Terrible advice

14. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    Included.

Ok + ~$25

Terrible advice
    a simple no thanks would be sufficient instead of being an a$$hole.

Where can you get a Windows licence key for $25? I know you can get an image, but not an active legitimate licence key for that.

15. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Where can you get a Windows licence key for $25? I know you can get an image, but not an active legitimate licence key for that.
    There are many places online, search for an OEM key. You can debate the legality (just not in this thread) - but last time I used one of these I used the phone activation and the customer service person asked me where I got the key, told them straight up, exactly where I got it and they were fine with it.

16. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    Meh, I'll just swap the PSU out if I decide to put a GPU in in the future or something.
    If you started with a decent PSU you wouldn't have to swap it out. Even if you are building to a budget I wouldn't want my system relying on a $29 PSU.

17. Post
    I'll sell you my old box for $400.

18. Post
    brand wrote:
    If you started with a decent PSU you wouldn't have to swap it out. Even if you are building to a budget I wouldn't want my system relying on a $29 PSU.
    I can only assume you have checked how much power a 2200G system uses? Bugger all. 400W will be fine, even if you add a low end GPU. FSP also seem to sell some good units.

19. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    I can only assume you have checked how much power a 2200G system uses? Bugger all. 400W will be fine, even if you add a low end GPU. FSP also seem to sell some good units.
    It isn't about the power output it is about the quality of the internal components. I sincerely doubt the 400W PSU is one of FSP's finest units...

20. Post
    Nothing says good parenting like Japanese capacitors and Gold rate.

21. Post
    Shovin in the cheapie - will let you know if it blows up and kills my kid.
    Btw, this is the PSU: https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...upply/28220830 - also available on tards for $29.

Privoxy wrote:
    I'll sell you my old box for $400.
    No way to talk about your mrs.

22. Post
    pyronical wrote:

All items brand new.

FSP 400W PSU ($29 Trademe) - bit dodge, but not GPU and low power CPU, should be all g
    All shipping costs ($32)

Total $416

This is great, thanks for the info didn't realise it would be so cheap for a new build. Warranty claims with Amazon have been easier than local NZ retailers.

Kids these days only play shitty browser games and Fortnite(surprised the 2200g handles it well), this will be perfect. Will be doing a similar build.

23. Post
    brand wrote:
    It isn't about the power output it is about the quality of the internal components. I sincerely doubt the 400W PSU is one of FSP's finest units...
    So uhm....

It was DOA.... hue. Knew it was dodge, but not DOA dodge, fuark. Maybe for the best, tardme seller did give me a full refund at least.

Ordered this instead: https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...x-psu/24458023

MILD UPGRADE

24. Smile
    Just wanna say that's pretty good at keeping costs down.

Ryzen, SSD and 8GB for about $400 ain't bad at all, makes me think i should ask GP for advice for my next build because i swear i pay more than i have to.

Good work.

25. Post
    If you need any more parts I've just gutted my old desktop and listed each part for $1 starting price on TM: https://trademe.nz/search?member_listing=668884

Was a beast of a system at some point...