1. Post
    trackers wrote:
    It may not, but if you did a poll to the entire nation on whether they should recover 30 sets of bones that have been in a very unsafe cave for nearly a decade, or spend $120 on every single child in poverty in the country, what would the result be?
    It's only 11 million more for 29 grieving families than it was for a fleg referendum, so I'm good with it.

2. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Tell that to the child, that you could have bought them a jacket, blanket, socks, shoes, hat etc. Tell them that some bones came out of a cave, as it has been put, but we could have made you warm for one winter (or more)
    Hahaha, love it.

3. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    What a ratshit attitude to have. But yes lets waste $36 million on some votes and to make 30 people feel better about their families choice to work in a dangerous profession.
    I like how not thinking throwing a few dollars to poor kids is going to solve anything is a "ratshit attitude", whilst suggesting these people shouldn't choose a dangerous job if they didn't want to die is seemingly an OK attitude.

I'm surprised you didn't throw in the "if you had kids you'd understand" argument.

4. Post
    Good with it or not, why do we waste so much on feel good ventures and ignore our real problems with recycled plastics buildup, river pollution, nurse and teacher wages, futureproof infrastructure and poverty?

5. Post
    Sin^ wrote:
    Good with it or not, why do we waste so much on feel good ventures and ignore our real problems with recycled plastics buildup, river pollution, nurse and teacher wages, futureproof infrastructure and poverty?
    We don't ignore all those problems. We've let some of them become problems, but some are being addressed in one way or another to try and improve them. Just take a look at last year's budget, e.g. "Our Families Package will see $5.5 billion over the next four years focused on improving the living standards of those who need it most. When fully rolled out by 2021, this Package will see 384,000 families better off by an average of $75 per week".

Gives you an idea of the kind of on-going spending required to try and make a real change, not some token one-off cash payout.

6. Post
    Sin^ wrote:
    Exactly, if we feed, cloth children or solve another ACTUAL problem with the money it is better than using it to buy votes.

7. Post
    DW wrote:
    suggesting these people shouldn't choose a dangerous job if they didn't want to die is seemingly an OK attitude.
    Never said that, said their remuneration was commensurate with the risk they were undertaking.

8. Post
    Sin^ wrote:
    35 million would work out to a 37c per hour payrise per teacher, which I doubt is going to resolve that particular issue.

9. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    35 million would work out to a 37c per hour payrise per teacher, which I doubt is going to resolve that particular issue.
    And that is for one year only.

10. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Never said that, said their remuneration was commensurate with the risk they were undertaking.
    https://www.careers.govt.nz/jobs-dat...quarry-worker/

Pay for miners and quarry workers varies depending on experience and level of responsibility.
    Hmm, didn't see anything there about "and the likelihood that the mine explodes and your remains never recovered".

Which is odd, if they're paid for that risk, then presumably underground coal miners would earn significantly more than underground gold miners yet I can't find anything to back that up.

So, I don't think that they're paid commensurate to the risk.

- - - Updated - - -

DW wrote:
    And that is for one year only.
    Oh yes, forgot to mention that, that's a 37c per hour payrise for one year.

11. Post
    Its a start.

But instead, we can insist the coffers are empty and ignore the core problems.

12. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:

Hmm, didn't see anything there about "and the likelihood that the mine explodes and your remains never recovered".

Which is odd, if they're paid for that risk, then presumably underground coal miners would earn significantly more than underground gold miners yet I can't find anything to back that up.

It is interesting, because miners are actually paid around the 6 figures mark by and large due to the risks / hazardous conditions, yet statistically, you'd be less likely to do in a mine in New Zealand (on a historical basis) than you would in a number of other professions (driving a truck springs to mind) that don't pay you for the risk

13. Post
    trackers wrote:
    It is interesting, because miners are actually paid around the 6 figures mark by and large due to the risks / hazardous conditions, yet statistically, you'd be less likely to do in a mine in New Zealand (on a historical basis) than you would in a number of other professions (driving a truck springs to mind) that don't pay you for the risk
    They also work shift work as they're 24 hour operations, and underground mines aren't super pleasant places to be, no sun, wet, cold, noisy. Hell, mine owners trying to force their workers to have their lunch break underground literally caused the Labour Party.

14. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    You all know that mining is inherently dangerous don't you? Why do you think they are paid so well, it is dangerous and dirty work, and there is a real chance you can die doing that job and your remains never be recovered. This is what you sign up for as a miner.
    Lol, no. We have labour laws you know.

15. Post
    ITT: people not understanding post mortem examination

yes, i just did that flex

16. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:

I’m not 100% on this, but I don’t think we have underground gold mines in NZ.

17. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    I’m not 100% on this, but I don’t think we have underground gold mines in NZ.
    Oceana has an underground operation up at Waihi I believe.

18. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    Oceana has an underground operation up at Waihi I believe.
    Oh? I thought it was all open cast. Havent been in there though, just past a few times.

19. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    That research article I linked would indicate so.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Interested in reading more about that, would you have a link?
    I know its a blog but it has an easy summation of a few links between Andrew L and the Pike River mine.

20. Post
    gneiss wrote:
    Oh? I thought it was all open cast. Havent been in there though, just past a few times.
    They have both open pit and underground although Iím not certain if the open pit is still operational.

21. Post
    Gordy wrote:
    They have both open pit and underground although I’m not certain if the open pit is still operational.
    Ahhh, just did a Waihi gold history google and I see that they opened the underground in 2004. Last time I went through was 2001. That’ll learn me not to keep up.

22. Post
    Daynger wrote:
    I know its a blog but it has an easy summation of a few links between Andrew L and the Pike River mine.
    The link got lost in your edit I think.

23. Post
    Edward Diego wrote:
    The link got lost in your edit I think.
    https://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/2012/11/e...ike_river.html

Sorry, i didnt even pasta the link i copied.

24. Post
    There are a hundred better things to spend money on than digging skeletons out of a mine. I don't understand why anyone beyond the wives and mothers would give a shit.

Imagine how ****ed up it would be if one of the recovery people died trying to achieve something that's completely pointless. This is in no way similar to trying to rescue kids from a flooded cave.

25. Post
    ^Yep