1. Post

Best way to get into strength training? (Complete novice)

So I'd like to get into weights or general strength training at the gym but I'm not really sure where to start and want some advice.

A lot of the stuff I've found online seems a bit overwhelming, and really I just want a super basic plan to start with for perhaps the first month or so, something that covers all the basics in as few exercises as possible.

I'm kind of sick of just hopping on the treadmill/various other cardio machines because they're easy.
    The other reason I'd like to do this is I'm finding when I run for example, my muscles get tired/sore long before I run out of breath, so I guess strength training is the way to go?

2. Post
    A.brdgr wrote:
    So I'd like to get into weights or general strength training at the gym but I'm not really sure where to start and want some advice.

A lot of the stuff I've found online seems a bit overwhelming, and really I just want a super basic plan to start with for perhaps the first month or so, something that covers all the basics in as few exercises as possible.

I'm kind of sick of just hopping on the treadmill/various other cardio machines because they're easy.
    The other reason I'd like to do this is I'm finding when I run for example, my muscles get tired/sore long before I run out of breath, so I guess strength training is the way to go?
    How novice? Like never trained ever?

Or has kinda worked out, but needs a good routine to follow for some real progress?

Where are you at now and what are your goals?

3. Post
    SlimPimp wrote:
    How novice? Like never trained ever?

Or has kinda worked out, but needs a good routine to follow for some real progress?

Where are you at now and what are your goals?
    Never done any weights or similar. I currently go to the gym almost daily and run for 30 mins and do about 20 mins on the stair machine. I can run 8kms at a 5:30 pace comfortably, so that's where I'm at fitness wise.
    In the past I've basically cycled and run a lot, that's about it.

My current goals would include:
    A half marathon in the next 6 months
    Breaking the 20 minute mark on a local stair climb (Hakarimatas near Hamilton).

Having said that, I feel like I have absolutely zero definition in my mid/upper body, which is why I'd like to do the strength training.

4. Post
    edit:

you just replied, I'll wait for others to post some better routines.

the program/book I think is the best isn't free~. It's Eric Helms Training Pyramid. He's doing/done his PHD in AUT I believe. He has a free series on youtube where he goes through what is important for a training plan.. It's by far the best 1 hour you can spend learning about building muscle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWmchPCyDvw

his paid book has sample workouts and goes into a bit more detail, but if you at least watch the first 3 episodes you will pretty much learn everything you will need to know about building muscle.

If this is to holistic, I'm sure someone else will post something better
    Last edited by Timmi; 24th May 2019 at 3:01 am.

5. Post
    5x5. the most basic and effective weight training program of all time for beginners.

Just google it as its so widely covered.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

6. Post
    I cycle programmes from the muscle and strength website.

They break them down into workout categories by goal. So it's pretty easy to pick one based on say building mass, gaining strength, or cutting.

5x5 is good. Assuming you know how to squat and deadlift without breaking something.

7. Post
    I would suggest starting with stronglifts 5x5. Download the App and get to work.

Do nothing but this programme for 6 months AT LEAST

Make sure you get the form on lock or you will have issues, either hire a trainer or take some vids from different angles and post them on here.

Essential reading 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe.

For the running, just run on your off days. Best training for running is simply just to run more.

Keep it simple, and stick to the programme.

8. Post
    Do some classes. Power / Pump, whatever it is called at your gym.

Then chat to the instructor about technique stuff.

See if you like the feel of it, as you'll effectively be walked through how to do a whole range of weights stuff.

9. Post
    the key science perspective on building muscle is that workout volume has the biggest co-efficient with muscles increasing in size.

so for example 8*50kg * 3 sets = 1200kg of "work"

making sure this progresses over time, so that your 3 or 5 day moving average is constantly moving up will ensure you are going to gain size. Don't worry too much about performance and recovery, these are byproducts of training but they aren't a factor in adaption. I would keep reps under 15 because over 15 you starting getting into grey area how the body chooses to adapt to the stress... likewise if the workouts are under a certain threshold of difficulty.

Volume increasing over time in key, this is all that is key. however how that volume increases is where you start getting the realms of periodization, non-linear, different schools of thought.

5g of L-leucine every 4-6 hours. Is all that is required from the diet for the first 6 months.

If you do these 2 things; increase volume weekly and get enough leucine in your diet you are basically 80% of the way there.

I personally don't like starting strength because a lot of studies on newbie lifters get stronger doing higher rep ranges to begin with. 5x5 = 25 reps vs 4x15 reps = a lot more time doing the movement which gets neurological adaption peaking faster. Once your body starts getting diminishing returns adapting neurologically you will start getting muscle gains.

An analogy would be more time on a bicycle is better than a difficult time on the bicycle.

I haven't really been in the science space of lifting for last 2 years or so but I'm guessing the fundamentals are the same. I'm much more interested in the emotional side of lifting and getting into rage mode / how the soul - > motivated the mind -> drives the body.

10. Post
    I endorse Timmis post.