1. Post

Using Wireless Broadband at Non-designated Address

All the ISPs seem to have a clause somewhere regarding only being able to use mobile broadband products at the designated address. Does anyone know if they actually track this? I've tried a mobile broadband router at the bach and it functions fine, but all the maps say it's not available in the area. I'm thinking about registering it to my home, where coverage is available, to get around this, but I don't want to do it then get kicked off if they actually check on which sim is connected to which towers.

2. Post
    EzyE wrote:
    I don't want to do it then get kicked off if they actually check on which sim is connected to which towers.
    This sounds like a problem worth solving if that ever happens. And if it does, hopefully their map would've been updated by then. Besides, it makes no business difference to them where you actually use it, that I can think of.

But also, Vodafone at least, seems completely unable to track SIMs/numbers to towers. Like, I got the impression that its such a low level operation that the people in a position to want to use that info, and even the people within 3 levels below them, would have no idea how to get it or make sense of any of it. I was dealing with some lost property for a business that used their network, and in a B2P relationship, we asked them to give us the region of the tower(s) that its connected to so we could narrow down our search. After a bunch of time and them asking each other, we were basically told that because of how transparent it is, they have no idea how to identify where its connecting from.

3. Post
    I had this email from Skinny once, I've never had it from Vodafone though.

Hi,

We’re getting in touch to let you know that we’ve noticed you are using your Skinny Broadband in multiple locations, away from your home.

We’d like to remind you that the modem may only be used at a single address, as per our Terms and Conditions:

You can only use your Skinny Broadband modem to receive the Skinny Broadband service at the location you entered into the address checker when you signed up to Skinny Broadband (the installed location).
    If you move your modem to a location other than the installed location, we reserve the right to terminate your Skinny Broadband service without notice. The reason we retain this right is that we need to be able to manage the network to ensure that all customers using the network receive a reliable and a consistent service.
    So, this is a heads up that if you continue using your modem away from home, unfortunately we’ll have to suspend your broadband connection until you return the modem to its original installed location. Once you’ve returned it to your home please contact us to let us know.

You can give us a ring on 0800 4 754669. Our Support Team is available Mon-Fri 8am-7pm and weekends/public holidays 9am-5pm.

Cheers!

The team at Skinny

Attached Images

4. Post
    [QUOTE=teelo7;11302509 it makes no business difference to them where you actually use it, that I can think of.[/QUOTE]

Potentially capacity and routing?

5. Post
    undead_knight wrote:
    Potentially capacity
    This.