1. Post

random fibre question

hey guys

Just got fibre installed yesterday and the modem was moved away from the PC so it could no longer be connected directly via ethernet cable. My PC doesn't have a built in wireless adaptor so I bought a wireless extender/router so it could receive the wifi signal. It's connected to my PC via ethernet cable but of course the signal is still wireless.

It works fine but my question is my modem that was moved out has both 2.4ghz & 5ghz set to on. So what signal is my PC actually receiving as theirs no option to choose on my PC like their is on other wireless devices.

I assume it regards the internet connection as wired as its connected to the wireless extended/router via ethernet cable? Even if it regards the connection as wired the signal between the modem and wifi extender is still wireless so what signal is the PC actually getting (2.4 or 5ghz)?

Sorry if this is confusing lol

cheers

2. Post
    You're using the extender/router as a wireless bridge, so you should check the admin page for the extender/router. It should tell you.

The PC just sees a wired network because, like you said, it has a wired network to the bridge.

3. Post
    saajiik wrote:
    You're using the extender/router as a wireless bridge, so you should check the admin page for the extender/router. It should tell you.

The PC just sees a wired network because, like you said, it has a wired network to the bridge.
    Sweet thx Also is 5Ghz always the way to go when it comes to fibre even if the 2.4Ghz signal is stronger?

4. Post
    2.5 has better range and penetration, 5 has better speeds with less range/penetration.

5 is preferred but it depends where and how far away the modem is.

5. Post
    To add to the above. If you're on a Gigabit connection you are certainly going to want 5Ghz, if you're just on 100Mbit you can get away with 2.4Ghz.

6. Post
    just have another question regarding this. My wireless extender is AC1200 but was wondering if I'd get better speeds with an AC1750 or higher? I'm getting wireless speeds of around 450Mbps directly from the modem and around half that from the wireless extender. Would it make much difference?

Also I'm using the free UltraHub from Vodafone. How much difference would a better modem make?