Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    II can't really afford to lose hundreds of dollars but I have plans for overseas work so I was always going to have to hand it in
    Given that over a lifetime, you may earn millions of dollars, like myself did, it is a small price to pay for piece of mind. I myself have also lost $1,000s due to events outside my control, but overall I think came out ok. Take a more philosophical approach to this and you'll be fine.

However, expect not to paid back as much as you paid for them, considering retail margins, etc., but I suspect you will get a 'reasonable' amount back, which is still better than nothing. I strongely suspect it will be a bit like trade-in prices at a dealer for cars. i.e. less than market/retail value.

2. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Given that over a lifetime, you may earn millions of dollars, like myself did, it is a small price to pay for piece of mind. I myself have also lost $1,000s due to events outside my control, but overall I think came out ok. Take a more philosophical approach to this and you'll be fine.

However, expect not to paid back as much as you paid for them, considering retail margins, etc., but I suspect you will get a 'reasonable' amount back, which is still better than nothing. I strongely suspect it will be a bit like trade-in prices at a dealer for cars. i.e. less than market/retail value.
    That's a bit of left wing bull shit right there.

3. Post
    I'd rather be a bit left wing these days. We have had too much lack of consideration of others in the past 3 or more decades under neoliberalism, where bottom lines are more important than people. Thankfully this new government will make a start to unwind decades of neglect, but that may take few parliamentary terms to do as some changes required are so ingrained into society, most people dont or cant think of another way.

4. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    That's a bit of left wing bull shit right there.
    Delicious irony.

5. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    Hi all.

I have been making some requests on a matter that is very important to me.

But I am sometimes at a bit of a loss as to what is the best way to phrase the email and how I can get the result I want.

Any advice on things?

Cheers
    Can you please elaborate your concern? thanks

6. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:

I fully expect to be screwed. I just obviously don't want to be as right now I am young and not on the wages I will be when I am qualified.

I have taken the philosophical approach of hoping for what's right. What's right is me getting what I paid for them.

Fraserhari wrote:
    Can you please elaborate your concern? thanks
    Read the full story. I want details of the buy back scheme

7. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    guns can appreciate in value. Especially in NZ. I recently sold my 6 year old 243 for more than I paid for it.

8. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    Read the full story. I want details of the buy back scheme
    And most want it because time is running out. The "amnesty" expires in September. We're now Mid-June. Last statement from Stuart Nash was once cabinet decides on what they are going to do then they'll publish details. Doesn't exactly sound like it's under any urgency.

9. Post
    That quote suggested it would be announced this week eh

10. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    And most want it because time is running out. The "amnesty" expires in September. We're now Mid-June. Last statement from Stuart Nash was once cabinet decides on what they are going to do then they'll publish details. Doesn't exactly sound like it's under any urgency.
    No. The amnesty is a thing when they announce the buy back details. So right now I am not sure if we're technically under one.

KevinL wrote:
    They've been saying that for the last 3 months. I'll believe it when Colfo have a press release.

11. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Yeah nah.... more recently on stuff he said:

Nash said in a statement that Cabinet was expected to make a final decision on the buyback very soon, prior to the announcement.
    How often/how much time do cabinet get together?

12. Post
    In that same article he is quoted "Police Minister Stuart Nash said he expected an announcement would come in a "matter of days" about the scheme, which is so far budgeted at $168 million"

13. Post
    Well cabinet meets on Mondays apparently, so if we don't hear anything by tomorrow it may be another week... then another... and so on.

14. Post
    Looking forward to the announcement tbh.

Anything less than a healthy 10% profit on the original price will be greeted by howls of outrage.

Thread will go to 150 pages easy.

15. Post
    profit isn't going to happen.

16. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    profit isn't going to happen.
    You're right on the case aren't you?

17. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Well cabinet meets on Mondays apparently, so if we don't hear anything by tomorrow it may be another week... then another... and so on.
    https://trib.al/tOdwtQN

Thursday, told ya

18. Post
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...s-compensation
    Compensation announced by the government today fits into three categories - all based on a wholesale price for a new weapon, without any retail margin.

It will pay 95 percent of the base price for weapons in new or near-new condition, 70 percent for those in used condition and 25 percent for those in poor condition.

The base price is the gun's value minus the profit margin put on a firearm when sold.

Compensation for prohibited parts and magazines will be 70 per cent of base price for those in near new or used condition and 25 per cent for those in poor condition.

Overall, the buy-back price will reflect the brand, make and model of the prohibited firearm; its base price; and its condition.

As an indicative figure the government said the base price for centrefire semi-automatic rifles ranges from $1000 to $10,000. Most have a base price of less than $5000.
    As I said. Not retail price.

19. Post
    My name is John Herbert and I was one of the experts involved with KPMG led pricing scheme for the buyback. I am also part of the Firearms Community Advisory Forum that works with Police to advise on legislation etc.

There are some things you need to know.

The published document has errors and omissions. This occurred because of the following reasons.

1. Like the legislation it was rushed. All the pricing was done over one 5 hour period. 5 hours to get a possible 1 billion dollar buy back correct. KPMG made it clear this was our one shot at it.
    2. The pricing was not checked post the meeting by the experts but was presented as written by KPMG staff who were constantly being corrected by the experts during the 5 hours we were doing the pricing. The KPMG staff had no firearms experience at all and did not understand the terminology or descriptions.
    3. There were separate prices for E category firearms and A category firearms. This is not reflected in the document.
    4. The experts all agreed that accessories specifically magazines should be purchased at full retail, KPMG agreed. 70% means that most people will get less than what the paid
    5. The pricing for collectable Semi Autos like M1 Garand’s M1 Carbines and German WW2 rifles is incorrect. It was made clear to KPMG that these rifles are appreciating in value and that a 95 70 25% value rating does not reflect their actual value. Simply put a Garand is 70 years old now, how can new or near new be applied in this instance? The pricing given for these collectables was based on the documented sale prices of these rifles over the last two years. Any Garand in reasonable condition will be a $6k plus rifle.
    6. The parts list has many omissions, again everything was rushed, but some items have just not been included. There is no parts list for many rifles L1A1, G3, M14 etc. Nothing for rifle stocks and barrels for many rifles.
    7. The document has ambiguous descriptions and double entries; again if it was fact checked by the experts this could have been fixed. As an example there are multiple entries for SVT40 rifles as well as for M1 Garand’s. Bushmaster AR15 rifles don’t even have a price, (plenty of them in NZ).
    8. Experts agreed with KPMG that individual valuations could take place and the fee should be fair, say $50. $120 is not fair.
    9. There is nothing published that addresses pricing of Semi Auto bespoke accessories like AR15 only Scopes, slings, Bayonets magazine pouches etc. These items are all useless with the rifles and owners will want compensation at market value.

Again we have a rushed half arsed process that says to firearm owners we don’t care about you and we don’t care to understand what your assets are worth. When the Australians who were involved with their buyback came over in March April to advise they made it very clear to the Government and Police “You need to pay full price if you want compliance”. Clearly this has been ignored. Many in the firearms community and all involved in the pricing are appalled.

The published pricing has dramatically increased the chances of Noncompliance. Noncompliance is the worst case scenario and Police will attest to that. In NZ we expect things to be fair; when the Govt buys your house so they can put a road through they pay market value, why is this model not being applied to firearms owners who it must be said have done nothing wrong here. As a community we are being treated as second class citizens, our opinions are not being listened to and our assets are being taken at below market rates. We believe the low prices reflect the governments fear over the cost of the buyback, we believe they know full well this will cost over 1 billion dollars but will it make NZ a safer place? Not when the likelihood of a big Grey Gun market is rapidly becoming a reality.
    Kiwi gun blog

Also on the herald (subscription needed):
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12243173

20. Post
    What's everyone's opinions on the media circus that will result from the public hand ins.

Everyone I know is going to hand in December 20th at a cop shop

21. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    What's everyone's opinions on the media circus that will result from the public hand ins.

Everyone I know is going to hand in December 20th at a cop shop
    I would avoid the public events like the plague.

22. Post
    bas wrote:
    I would avoid the public events like the plague.
    They're going to be shocking. The first one has a market same place same time ffs.

Dumb fudds and useful idiots packing ar15's and ak's mixed with a farmers market.

Media to dox people.

Just great.