1. Post

Recommend me a good wireless headphone solution for video consumption

Looking for a decent solution for wireless audio. Basically, lets say i have a source of audio coming through either analog (3.5mm/AV jack) or digital via toslink. I want to somehow convert it to a wireless headphone solution. Im open to DIY suggestions (it doesnt need to look pretty).

This is for media consumption (movies/shows etc), so low latency is important. Also would prefer decent audio quality and comfort. i have a sennheiser hd 558, would love to be able to convert this to wireless with a wireless receiver and transmitter maybe (if thats a viable option).

option 1: get a wireless headphone like sennheiser rs 175. but these are stupidly expensive in NZ. any good alternatives or suggestions?

option 2: build my own DIY solution with a wireless transmitter and receiver. I tried some random bluetooth setup, its feels really off due to high latency. Is it worth trying a Bluetooth AptX LL setup? What about RF transmitter/receivers, any ideas? any recommendations?

on a another related note, if i use a random bluetooth transmitter/receiver with my sennheriser hd 558, does the bluetooth receiver/tranmitter determine the quality of the audio? does the quality/brand/model of the BT transmitter & receiver matter much?

any advice/suggestions appreciated

2. Post
    Just buy a pair of Bose (QCII will be dirt cheap with the new 700s coming out) or Sony (1000XM3) headphones and be done with it to be honest.

3. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Just buy a pair of Bose (QCII will be dirt cheap with the new 700s coming out) or Sony (1000XM3) headphones and be done with it to be honest.
    Those are great for travel and such, but are not by any means comfortable when you try to compare them to a sennheiser HD 5x8 or similar tier audio technica and what not. So comfort is pretty important, portability is not.

That said, the bose/Sony both are Bluetooth, unless they aupport aptx ll and that aptx ll is actually noticeably better than normal Bluetooth, the Lagg is real, and quite bad.

I don't really have a aptx ll transmitter at hand, so i can't quite say how much improvement that makes with these headphones.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

4. Post
    Not sure what you're talking about to be honest. the Bose QCII have a solid rep of having great long use comfort. Have you ever actually tried them?

I've spent the last three days wearing mine for about 13 hours a day non-stop and I still can't even notice they're there.

I think you've spent a bit much time reading bad reviews and not enough time actually experiencing things for a period of time to warrant an opinion on them.

5. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    Not sure what you're talking about to be honest. the Bose QCII have a solid rep of having great long use comfort. Have you ever actually tried them?

I've spent the last three days wearing mine for about 13 hours a day non-stop and I still can't even notice they're there.

I think you've spent a bit much time reading bad reviews and not enough time actually experiencing things for a period of time to warrant an opinion on them.
    Yeah I have. I have a QC35. When you say QCii you mean Qc 35 ii right, which is basically the same as the older QC35 (besides the extra button) if im not mistaken? I guess the main thing I don't like about it is the fact that it has no air circulation, so it feels uncomfortable for long use. And I find the audio quality of my sennheisers and audio technica headphones waaay better, ofcorse it's an unfair comparison since BT vs wired.

Everyone's preferences are different, they may work great for you, but i just find them uncomfortable (maybe I have bigger ears than you?). QC35s are way more comfortable than any other BT headphones I've owned though, sure.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

6. Post
    Maybe just get something like this:
    Logitech BT transmitter
    https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...lgVxoCvmDw_wcB

and then a small BT receiver
    https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/sho...tooth-receiver

but the thing is, the Senn 558's are wired so you'll still have to drag that around. I kind of see that as a bit of an inconvenience.

7. Post
    Weegee wrote:
    Maybe just get something like this:
    Logitech BT transmitter
    https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...lgVxoCvmDw_wcB

and then a small BT receiver
    https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/sho...tooth-receiver

but the thing is, the Senn 558's are wired so you'll still have to drag that around. I kind of see that as a bit of an inconvenience.
    You can get/build a custom length cable for the 558s, and ducttape the receiver to the frame, so you dont have a dangling cable. Thats what i was originally thinking, but i dont know if there are different quality difefernces on different receivers and transmitters. and its hard to see comparisons between BT transmitter/receivers vs RF transmitter/receivers.

Thanks for the suggestions. I may add those ones to a list of things to look up reviews for. There are LOT of (much cheaper) receivers that support AptX LL, so im not 100% sure if paying more gives better results or not?

But in the mean time, i caved in, and ordered a Sennheiser RS 185. Hopefully that is what i need.

...if anyone still have any other suggestions, do please share, it will help others, or even me for experimenting in the future. ill post back about the RS 185 when i receive it.

8. Post
    Fiio have some pretty good BT portable amps, e.g. https://www.rapalloav.co.nz/product/...oth-amplifier/