Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Should have been clearer, I meant this in relation to Trackers comments.

As for Timmi, you sound like a jealous little boy.
    He's uping his exposure to the max he can leverage, in order to generate more gains.. when a lot of rational investors are looking to take profits and mitigate risk given the secular position of a lot of technical indicators.

maybe greed is too pejorative...

I hope your desire for more pays off and doesn't come back to bite you.

you can throw pessimism without throwing salt.

2. Post
    Timmi wrote:
    He's uping his exposure to the max he can leverage, in order to generate more gains.. when a lot of rational investors are looking to take profits and mitigate risk given the secular position of a lot of technical indicators.

maybe greed is too pejorative...

I hope your desire for more pays off and doesn't come back to bite you.

you can throw pessimism without throwing salt.
    yeah but markets be nuts right now, its super cheap to borrow - I just pulled out more equity, although my debt is now 31% of the portfolio... however markets are going up and up

and up

3. Post
    stacrafty wrote:
    yeah but markets be nuts right now, its super cheap to borrow - I just pulled out more equity, although my debt is now 31% of the portfolio... however markets are going up and up

and up
    borrowing against increasing equity for increasing equity is an obvious risk if the market moves against you. I'm not saying it's a bad move but the assumptions the market will keep moving up needs to be looked at.

I would be in property if I could lock in a rate at this level for the next 30 years like you can in US/UK but in NZ 2-3 years periods are going to wreck people once they see how inflation/interest rates work in reverse.

4. Post
    And that's when you'll swoop in?

5. Post
    yeah with my Scrooge McDuck cape and cane.

on serious note though are any other pessimistic about the future of interest rates?

6. Post
    Well I never saw them getting this low, so figure they'll correct at some point. Pay down as much as you can while it's cheap, worry about future rates later. I wouldn't be maxing myself out based on current rates. But then I have seen the other end with rates more than double the current rates.

7. Post
    Timmi wrote:
    borrowing against increasing equity for increasing equity is an obvious risk if the market moves against you. I'm not saying it's a bad move but the assumptions the market will keep moving up needs to be looked at.

I would be in property if I could lock in a rate at this level for the next 30 years like you can in US/UK but in NZ 2-3 years periods are going to wreck people once they see how inflation/interest rates work in reverse.
    yeah i agree. If the market swings the other way and you for whatever reason can't service your mortgage you are in trouble.

I was sitting in freehold though and decided to pull some equity out, its just too tempting at sub 4%.
    A portion of my portfolio is pretty liquid so should the interest rates rise in 3 years when my mortgage term is up I can just pay it off if need be.

Or swoop in. or whatever, any number of options.

8. Post
    Got a couple of mortgage brokers lined up for conversations (cheers Trackers for the recommendation), am also planning on hitting up my fiancee's bank direct and asking them to make a better offer. Feeling cheeky on it, but it always amazed me when I was looking to buy* how I was treated, vs. how I was treated looking to rent, so I figure that a bank's employee is keen to make the sale too.

*Held off because my gut felt wrong, all the properties I'd looked at got trashed by the September 2010 quake, god bless my gut.