1. Post

HG659/Vodafone Ultra Home Hub replacements

Hi everyone, about to join the UFB party late.

I'll get an ISP supplied modem which seems to either be the HG659 or Vodafone's Technicolor router.

The general consensus seems to be that these are C.R.A.P. so what would be the best BUDGET (and I stress budget) option for an alternative router? I do need WiFi unfortunately.

I'd realistically be looking down the trademe route IF I could afford anything, so the cheaper the better - what are the GP recommendations?

Thanks!

2. Post
    What usage do you think the HG659 won't be capable of handling?

3. Post
    The HG659 maxed out the 950down/450up connection I had when I used it a while back. Can't comment on it's wifi range but close range it was pretty good for an all in one.

4. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Good question - maybe I don't need anything else after all??

I have heaps of WiFi devices connecting - in fact most is WiFi connecting and WiFi RANGE is really bad in my house.

5. Post
    I run one at my place, reboot it around every six months but no issues so far. Wifi seems to work fine for an all in one unit.

6. Post
    Hmmm I had seriously thought that everyone was advocating for ditching ISP modems but maybe that's not right after all.

In addition to the above question, any thoughts on HG659 vs Vodafone Technicolor Ultra Home Hub (which VF commissioned to replace HG659, while Spark continues to use the Huawei)?

7. Post
    Comes down to usage i'd say. Typical house with usual devices will be fine with ISP stuff. More demanding requirements will require suitable hardware. Can't expect amazing Wifi range for a budget unit etc.

No idea on comparison between those two units. I purchased HG659 when signing up to Bigpipe yonks ago.

8. Post
    I got an unifi ubiquiti AP and turned off the Wifi on the ultra home hub and it works a treat. Haven't had any issues. The HG659 I had I did the same.

9. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Ok picked up a used HG659 for $5 to try out.

It can't handle more than 32 devices and I have around 60 in the household!!

10. Post
    futsal wrote:
    Ok picked up a used HG659 for $5 to try out.

It can't handle more than 32 devices and I have around 60 in the household!!
    60!?

11. Post
    Continuous or mostly idle? If the former it'll suck using your WiFi.

If you can afford to run 60 devices surely you can afford to get a Unifi AP, 127 device cap per channel.

12. Post
    Yeah I second that, didn't realise it was THAT many devices. If your whole house operates on WiFi, may as well invest in decent hardware. No point having all the devices running off a run of the mill potato.

13. Post
    60? Wow, seriously interested on what you've got running there. Sounds like an interesting house!

14. Post
    Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite or USG with UniFi AC Pro access points.

15. Post
    Black Plague*** wrote:
    60!?
    Yeah.

GenericUSERNAME wrote:
    Continuous or mostly idle? If the former it'll suck using your WiFi.

If you can afford to run 60 devices surely you can afford to get a Unifi AP, 127 device cap per channel.
    Mostly idle, and I don't think we are really that rich??

B|ind-Reaper* wrote:
    60? Wow, seriously interested on what you've got running there. Sounds like an interesting house!
    I wish I had the full list but here's a rough idea:

3 mobile phones [3]
    3 laptops [6]
    2 tablets [8]
    2 Apple watches [10]
    2 Kindles [12]
    2 Nintendo Switches, a PS4, PS3, and 2 old X360s (can't remember the last time the older consoles connected) [18]
    A WiFi power plug adapter [19]
    2 Amazon Echos [21]
    WiFi weighing scales [22]
    2 Nintendo 3DSs (can't remember last time they connected) [24]
    TiVo (network no longer supported) [25]
    2 "WiFi enabled" TVs [27]
    BluRay Player [28]
    2 Apple TVs [30]
    2 Mac minis [32]
    WiFi printers x2 [34]

That's all I can remember off the top of my head but it gives a rough idea. While there were 60 registrations of MAC addresses on my network, I suspect at least 10 of them are for devices that have been retired.

And yes - we have too many devices/device redundancy.