1. Post

Networking Advice

Partner and I bought a house and I've been given the word that Ethernet is no longer allowed, lol.

Trying to decide best action to take as spending $1000+ to rewire and port bedrooms isn't an option.

Looking between:
    - Google WiFi 3 pack. https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...ystem---3-Pack
    - Ubiquity https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...C1350-450867Mb

Which, if any, would be better for my pc and gaming? Also torrenting. Our area isn't getting Fibre till 2020. So Vdsl will be our connection for the next year.

4 bedroom house, lots of doors and Walls. Consoles, NAS box, PC, Laptops, Smart TV's pp

Any other suggestions?

2. Post
    Why is Ethernet not allowed? You run it between walls or under the house and have a wall plate on the wall to terminate to. Nice, clean and best performance.

3. Post
    Thought about powerline? Most of them have plug in WAPs with network ports, so you get the benefits of a very nearby WAP plus a direct cable line if you want it.

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/th...rline-adaptors

technoguy wrote:
    Why is Ethernet not allowed? You run it between walls or under the house and have a wall plate on the wall to terminate to. Nice, clean and best performance.
    ohgr69 wrote:
    Trying to decide best action to take as spending $1000+ to rewire and port bedrooms isn't an option.

4. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Thought about powerline? Most of them have plug in WAPs with network ports, so you get the benefits of a very nearby WAP plus a direct cable line if you want it.

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/th...rline-adaptors
    Yeh I did think about this. For some reason thought the others had faster connections, signal strengths. Also its an older house and we aren't sure whether the wiring is up for it. Just trying to save money where possible as already spent a fortune on the house and associated costs lol

5. Post
    technoguy wrote:
    Had friends who spent $1000+ on getting this sort of access setup, installed. Looking for cheaper options.

6. Post
    ohgr69 wrote:
    Yeh I did think about this. For some reason thought the others had faster connections, signal strengths. Also its an older house and we aren't sure whether the wiring is up for it. Just trying to save money where possible as already spent a fortune on the house and associated costs lol
    Fair enough, in that case I'll sell you one of these for $300:
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NET...C-Dual-Band-Co

Or one of these for $400:
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NAP...C-Dual-Band-Ou

I have a couple of both to get rid of. They're used but working fine.

I've had positive experiences with powerline, but both were on houses 90s and later.

7. Post
    ohgr69 wrote:
    Had friends who spent $1000+ on getting this sort of access setup, installed. Looking for cheaper options.
    Comes down to house design really. For example, if you have brick cavity walls and concrete tile roof, you could quite easily get wires down within the exterior walls. You'd be looking at probably $500 to wire the place up if DIY'ing it (CAT6 + wall plates + patch panel), but it would be well future proof. Depends how long you plan to stay too. As well as how many wired points you actually NEED, rather than want.

One of the wireless units mentioned above would be a lot less work^^

8. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Comes down to house design really. For example, if you have brick cavity walls and concrete tile roof, you could quite easily get wires down within the exterior walls. You'd be looking at probably $500 to wire the place up if DIY'ing it (CAT6 + wall plates + patch panel), but it would be well future proof. Depends how long you plan to stay too. As well as how many wired points you actually NEED, rather than want.

One of the wireless units mentioned above would be a lot less work^^
    Yeh it's just cladded. No roof cavity either. I think I'll just go with the Google WiFi for now. Seems the easiest and pretty good from reviews/reddit.

9. Post
    easily worth spending $1000 to do it properly (although it will likely be way cheaper than that)

10. Post
    I was lucky and my in my house they had used Cat5e for all of the phone jacks, I just needed to change the jacks over.

As for powerlines, I used one with great success in an old house that used the old style wire fuses, so don't completely write them off based on the age of the house, that said the mesh systems seem to be popular and work well, I was looking at this before I found out I was well taken care of!

11. Post
    ohgr69 wrote:
    Yeh it's just cladded. No roof cavity either. I think I'll just go with the Google WiFi for now. Seems the easiest and pretty good from reviews/reddit.
    And no under house access?
    I wired up our old house for about $100 (patch panel, wallplates, cable, keystones) - underfloor access is even easier to wire than ceiling access.

The house im in now has ceiling access, and cost me about $100 to do this house. Wallplates, Drywall C-Clamps,ethernet cable, keystones, cable holders, and a long flexi drill bit for drilling up through the nogs

You can easily spend over $1000 doing Ubiquiti UniFi Wifi since you'd really want 2 AP's and you'll have the same issue of running cable through the wall/ceiling.

Your best bet is what you chose, a mesh system. Wether that be the Ubiquiti UniFi Mesh, Google WiFi or the Netgear Orbi Mesh.

12. Post
    Just a note, I have the Orbi myself (and have owned both UniFi and Google WiFis), but the Orbis aren't a true Mesh system.
    I love their performance though.

Regards to ethernet, I would say have a proper look into it. Doing a lot of the easy work yourself can get the pricing down quite a lot.
    I got my own cables, keystones, faceplates and all I got my sparky to do is run the cabling to the rooms. Punched everything down myself. Only cost a few hundred.

13. Post
    If its a really big house you could use some Cambium E500's and mesh them

14. Post
    Possibly have already been thought of, but powerline kits with Power Pass Through? And then you could have a switch or something at the end and plug many things into it.

15. Post
    Ethernet is the way to go if its your own place. It will cost you about the same in decent powerline adapters or WiFi if done right on the cheap. Both the other ways are worse quality as well. This advice posted from a renter who uses powerline and multiple WiFi access points around the home...

16. Post
    thanks everyone for the recommendations/advice