1. Exclamation

Motivations and Gaming Habits of Australian Mobile Gamers.

My name is Jordan Greenwood and I am a candidate for the Bachelors of Science (Honours) at Federation University, Australia. I am inviting you to participate in a study about Motivations and Gaming Habits of Australian Mobile Gamers. This is one of many invitations posted on various Australian gaming forums and gaming groups.
    The study will involve an online survey for participants of the ages 18 and above. This survey will cover your motivations for playing mobile games, habits that you are exhibiting while playing said games and will contain an addiction prevalence test of the Internet Gaming Disorder.
    You are invited to participate by following the link https://asterius.ballarat.edu.au/sse...515759?lang=en and completing the questionnaire that will take approximately 20 minutes of your time. The online survey will remain open for approximately 6 weeks or until an appropriate sample size is collected. I will repost here when the survey has closed. You will remain anonymous by completing this survey, and only upon submitting the survey will you be implying consent to use the data you provide. You may choose to withdraw at any time before submitting the survey, by closing your browser (or tab within tabbed browsing).
    I would like to thank you up front for any time you allocate towards this research endeavour.
    Yours sincerely,
    Jordan Greenwood
    Honours Candidate
    Federation University, Australia
    jordangreenwood@students.federation.edu.au

2. Post
    Had me until Australian Mobile Gamers
    Last edited by Black Plague***; 17th June 2019 at 10:02 pm.

3. Post
    greenash wrote:
    My name is Jordan Greenwood and I am a candidate for the Bachelors of Science (Honours) at Federation University, Australia. I am inviting you to participate in a study about Motivations and Gaming Habits of Australian Mobile Gamers. This is one of many invitations posted on various Australian gaming forums and gaming groups.
    The study will involve an online survey for participants of the ages 18 and above. This survey will cover your motivations for playing mobile games, habits that you are exhibiting while playing said games and will contain an addiction prevalence test of the Internet Gaming Disorder.
    You are invited to participate by following the link https://asterius.ballarat.edu.au/sse...515759?lang=en and completing the questionnaire that will take approximately 20 minutes of your time. The online survey will remain open for approximately 6 weeks or until an appropriate sample size is collected. I will repost here when the survey has closed. You will remain anonymous by completing this survey, and only upon submitting the survey will you be implying consent to use the data you provide. You may choose to withdraw at any time before submitting the survey, by closing your browser (or tab within tabbed browsing).
    I would like to thank you up front for any time you allocate towards this research endeavour.
    Yours sincerely,
    Jordan Greenwood
    Honours Candidate
    Federation University, Australia
    jordangreenwood@students.federation.edu.au
    howdy all, would anyone like to have a discussion on what mobile game developers could do instead of microtransactions to still make a decent profit on their games, but removing the PTW element so the game is fair for all?

4. Post
    greenash wrote:
    howdy all, would anyone like to have a discussion on what mobile game developers could do instead of microtransactions to still make a decent profit on their games, but removing the PTW element so the game is fair for all?

5. Post
    haha brilliant

6. Post
    Seriously though, the likes of Overwatch clearly demonstrate that cosmetics are a good way of monetizing without creating a play-to-win situation.

The alternatives (e.g. advertising) are fairly unpalatable

7. Post
    yeah, I know Path of Exile does it very well also. how do you think people would react to an upfront cost of mobile games?

8. Post
    greenash wrote:
    yeah, I know Path of Exile does it very well also. how do you think people would react to an upfront cost of mobile games?
    People are stupid and are happy to drop $1500 on a phone but don't want to spend $5 on an app

If it were me, I'd make the first 10% of the game free to play then paywall the rest

9. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    People are stupid and are happy to drop $1500 on a phone but don't want to spend $5 on an app

If it were me, I'd make the first 10% of the game free to play then paywall the rest
    Games I play usually have real time to build stuff, I find its fine up to the 2 week time period but after that it ruins the game and most people I know with mobile phones pay it off while they're on a plan. wonder if a subscription system would work?

10. Post
    Cosmetics work well but I don't think they're half as lucrative as P2W, especially in Asian countries.

11. Post
    FYI 95%+ of this forum is New Zealanders. Gameplanet offers an Australian mirror of this forum, but it never really caught on over the ditch. You may want to look elsewhere.

12. Post
    Xev wrote:
    FYI 95%+ of this forum is New Zealanders. Gameplanet offers an Australian mirror of this forum, but it never really caught on over the ditch. You may want to look elsewhere.
    New Zealanders / Aussies are pretty much cousins so I'm happy if you would like to input your thoughts into the survey.

13. Post
    greenash wrote:
    New Zealanders / Aussies are pretty much cousins so I'm happy if you would like to input your thoughts into the survey.
    Don't lump us in with those dirty convicts lol

14. Post
    Bt wrote:
    Cosmetics work well but I don't think they're half as lucrative as P2W, especially in Asian countries.
    They seem to work well on Path of Exile and Warframe from what I've been told.
    Name:  Global_Games_Market_2018.png
Views: 208
Size:  180.0 KB

Interesting enough this is where the market is at currently, and with all the big developing studios starting to head into mobile gaming to get a piece of the action, I wonder where the gaming industry is heading at times.

15. Post
    Howdy all, we are now halfway through the study and numbers are kind of low, so if you're interested in helping out with the study can you fill out the survey and thanks to all who have participated so far.

16. Post
    Facebook is probably where you will find mobile gamers.

17. Post

Final 2 weeks

Good morning all, we are now into the final two weeks of the study and still need a couple more participates, so if you're interested in helping out with the study can you fill out the survey https://tinyurl.com/y5mzf427 and thanks to all who have participated so far. Just a reminder you will need to be playing at least 1 mobile game to participant in the study.

18. Post
    Phew, dogged a bullet there, if you'd been asking about general gaming rather than mobile gaming I might have had to fess up to a few things!

19. Post
    Good morning all, we are now into the final week of my study and I just would like to thank all the ones that have contributed their opinion towards the topic. It has been very interesting finding out what motivates people to play mobile games and finding out the reasons why they have been spending their money on mobile games. https://tinyurl.com/y5mzf427

20. Post
    Taiveraad wrote:
    Phew, dogged a bullet there, if you'd been asking about general gaming rather than mobile gaming I might have had to fess up to a few things!
    haha yeah, I might end up doing my PhD on general gaming, it was interesting seeing how much Aussies and New Zealanders dislike mobile games though.

21. Post
    Howdy all, the survey is now finished, thanks to all that participated. Over the next 2 weeks, I will be analysing all the data and forming conclusions.

22. Post
    greenash wrote:
    haha yeah, I might end up doing my PhD on general gaming, it was interesting seeing how much Aussies and New Zealanders dislike mobile games though.
    Careful with that statement. try :
    "it was interesting seeing how much Aussie and New Zealand PC Gamers dislike mobile games though"

If you were after more strictly 'mobile gamers', then you should be cautious taking samples from gaming forums.
    Your samples will pretty much all be PC or console gamers, whom i would guess have little interest in mobile games in general.