Slingshot ISP for UFB?

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post

Slingshot ISP for UFB?

Have been offered a deal that I am finding hard to resist.

Is Slingshot of 2019 better than the Slingshot of 2009?

2. Post
    what was the deal I am getting gigantic in december

3. Post
    Currently with them and have had no issues.

4. Post
    BZP wrote:
    what was the deal I am getting gigantic in december
    Unsure how long it has been running or how much longer they will offer it (no set end date, will stop without notice), but if you have been with Spark or Vodafone then they will give you approx 1 month free for every year you have been with that provider.

1-5 years - 1-5 months free
    6-10 years - 6 months free
    10+ years - 12 months free

12 month term applies. Not valid with any other offer.

5. Post
    futsal wrote:
    Have been offered a deal that I am finding hard to resist.

Is Slingshot of 2019 better than the Slingshot of 2009?
    Yes. Slingshot is fine imo.

I switched from Bigpipe about a year ago, and they're pretty much the same overall. Some things (latency/speed/routes) are better, others worse, but nothing extreme either way.

6. Post
    I am with them on Gigabit and going back to Bigpipe at the start of next month - they are fine overall, and I did the 6 months half-price deal.

7. Post
    Why big pipe?

8. Post
    Because here in Christchurch they offer a 200/20 plan for $79 and the first 3 months are free if you sign up to any plan before the end of this month - I also wanted a static IP and they offer it at a reasonable one off cost, whereas most others charge you monthly for one.

Being the only person using the Gigabit connection I wasn't making good use of the available bandwidth. Enable who runs the fibre here gave everyone a free upgrade from 100 to 200Mbps to celebrate finishing their rollout ahead of schedule.

9. Post
    Still some ISP not passing on that deal. Last I saw Spark had no intention of passing it on anyway.

10. Post
    They offer 200Mbit now, they are charging extra for it though - Spark gonna Spark.

11. Post
    Yeah I think they always offered it, they just said they have no plans to pass on the deal to Canterbury customers. They had "other exciting things coming" or something stupid.

Spark tax, tax for every day users that don't know they are being ripped off.

12. Post
    Should I have gone with Trust Power instead?

"Free" TV

13. Post
    Pretty good overall.
    A few outages a year and mostly during midnight due to network maintenance.
    I got a deal in 2016 when they offered 100/20M unlimited for $60 a month.
    Now paying $62.25 per month which is still the cheapest 100/20 UFB plan in NZ I think.

14. Post
    futsal wrote:
    Should I have gone with Trust Power instead?

"Free" TV
    No, stay far away. You'd end up paying more than the TV is worth with the price difference to the competiton for the length of the contract.

15. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    No, stay far away. You'd end up paying more than the TV is worth with the price difference to the competiton for the length of the contract.
    Thats the case with pretty much every offering out there by ISP's, cracks me up when people decide to switch purely for free shit. Only makes sense if you're saving money at the same time and it suits you.

16. Post
    Skilfil wrote:
    Thats the case with pretty much every offering out there by ISP's, cracks me up when people decide to switch purely for free shit. Only makes sense if you're saving money at the same time and it suits you.
    Agree with this! But it does seem weird that ISP's offer great new customer deals and basically nothing for existing customers (other than loyalty deal mentioned above which I never saw advertised)

I just called Slingshot after being a customer for almost 3 years. Asked them to match the new customer deal for us to move our service with them to the new house. Nope lol. But we have 460gb stored up with them on carryover broadband (we're low-data users), and my wife and I both do mobile with them. Gonna end up staying with them for convenience but damn, where's the reward!!

17. Post
    You can sign up to their deals if you aren't already under contract, which you aren't. You'll just be locked in for 12 months. When I said I was leaving the other month they said their retention team would be in contact if they could beat the deal I was moving to - which in this case I knew they couldn't