1. Post
    Yeah provided it's the 144mhz version.

Model number is the same as CL 144mhz.

2. Post
    dell has some killer deals on the G series laptops atm 20% off

3. Post
    robrc12 wrote:
    dell has some killer deals on the G series laptops atm 20% off
    Those g3 with the 1660ti look pretty decent! Anyone got one here?

4. Post
    Puk wrote:
    Those g3 with the 1660ti look pretty decent! Anyone got one here?
    I have a G5 with an i5 8300 and GTX 1060 and it cranks so the newer CPU and GPU combo must be killer. Can't see the need for a 6 core CPU though would rather have the i5 4 core 8 thread and spend more on storage or better GPU

5. Post
    Those are good numbers.

I wonder what if cooling would be an issue. Something I've been seeing quite often in laptops.

Also 144hz a requirement? I notice most of the g3s aren't.

6. Post
    The g3 is a smaller/thinner chassis compared to the g5 and g7 and would not be as cool.

7. Post
    Thoughts on the 144hz?

Even the Area 51 (for approx $6.5k) is only rocking FHD. The internet is all about 144hz and I get it, but is it the be all end all?

8. Post
    Depends what it is being compared to and what you play. If you play fast paced games, higher refresh = smoother gaming. A gaming system with a 60hz screen just isn't going to be as nice as 100hz+. My gaming tends to average around the 100FPS mark, I couldn't go back to 60FPS.

9. Post
    Whats the best bang for weight options out there? A g3 comes in at around 2.6kg any chance of getting sub 2kg for similar specs? This will be for travel, so will have to include the charger as well.

10. Post
    Howdy GP. I'm looking for a new laptop to play Classic WoW when its released at the end of the month (maybe War3 Reforged and a bit of Dota2 as well). Would anyone be able to let know if they think the following would be all good to run those games:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2249948965

I'm looking to spend a little less cos I don't really need to play all the latest games. Thanks!

11. Post
    Llama_360 wrote:
    Howdy GP. I'm looking for a new laptop to play Classic WoW when its released at the end of the month (maybe War3 Reforged and a bit of Dota2 as well). Would anyone be able to let know if they think the following would be all good to run those games:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2249948965

I'm looking to spend a little less cos I don't really need to play all the latest games. Thanks!
    whats your budget ?

12. Post
    robrc12 wrote:
    whats your budget ?
    Ideally would like to spend no more than $1k so hence looking at second hand. Thanks

13. Post
    Llama_360 wrote:
    Ideally would like to spend no more than $1k so hence looking at second hand. Thanks
    I have a friend looking to sell a dell g3 17inch 1080p 17 8750 /16gb of ram/512gb NVME 1050ti for just under 1k if that would interest you

14. Post
    The recommended specs are pretty low.

Could probably just plug a lemon into a potatoe and you should be g2g.

Edit sorry not sorry for the formatting, I'm posting on a phone.

Code:
    PC MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
    OPERATING SYSTEM	Windows® 7 64-bit (with latest Service Packs)
    PROCESSOR	               Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8750
    VIDEO	                       NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GT 512 MB or AMD Radeon™ HD 4850 512 MB or Intel® HD Graphics 4000
    MEMORY	               2 GB RAM (4 GB for integrated graphics such as Intel HD Graphics series)
    STORAGE	               5 GB available space
    INTERNET	               Broadband internet connection
    INPUT	                       Keyboard and mouse required. Other input devices are not supported.
    RESOLUTION	       1024 x 768 minimum display resolution

15. Post
    Personally would look at the HP Z Laptops

(workstation tech in a laptop)

Some can go up to 128GB ram

16. Post
    SL1CKSTA wrote:
    I have a friend looking to sell a dell g3 17inch 1080p 17 8750 /16gb of ram/512gb NVME 1050ti for just under 1k if that would interest you
    Just sent you a pm

17. Post
    Going to chime in here to warn everyone off MSI. I have a GS75 which i wanted for the thin design, light weight and screen quality (which is superb, with 100% colour accuracy, though i find 4k more an annoyance than a pleasure on a 17 inch).

Mine arrived with a faulty motherboard which was replaced after two trips to repair and several parts replaced that were nothing to do with the problem. At the same time the chassis was replaced due to poor finish resulting in very sharp edges on the underside.

Then the screen detached from the hinges, breaking the bracket. Screen was replaced.

Then the screen detached from the hinges, breaking the bracket. Screen was replaced.

Yes you read that right, the screen has been replace four or five times now. I've actually lost count. It's been to service in three different countries over the last two years. The chassis is not strong enough and has pretty bad flex all over it, the worst being the screen that is attached to hinges that are to stiff for it to handle.

If you try to think of a rigid durable laptop don't picture the GS75, they're nothing like that.

I asked for a replacement with the newer version hoping the screen issue was corrected but was declined and as i didn't buy in NZ i don't have coverage under the CGA.

The wifi module still has issues operating on 5ghz and i've given up using it at the moment as it constantly stops passing data.

The screen bracket and wifi issues are well documented around the web.

On the plus side MSI support in NZ has been A+. They even extended the warranty.

Next laptop will be an Asus, like i had previous to this. Hopefully they're making a Zephyrus with the keyboard in the normal location by then.

18. Post
    I'm looking to get a gaming laptop this weekend or in the next few days, looking to spend between 2k-3k. Browsing Just Laptops, PB Tech & Computer Lounge at the moment, is their any other vendors I should be checking out?

Would appreciate some recommendations for something with a good keyboard, solid performance... I couldn't care much for the flashy aspects like RGB, doesn't have to be pretty at all, just want something that delivers the best gaming and browsing experience that a laptop can provide.

19. Post
    Just laptops are very good ! Probably have the biggest selection. Give them a ring they know there stuff too. Pb tech is average AF staff just don't care ...

20. Post
    I recently picked up a Asus TUF FX505DU from PBtech which I've been very happy with, its the cheapest laptop I could find which comes with a 120hz screen, 1660ti GPU, and good build quality. For your budget I think the new model Helios 300 would be your best bet from all the reviews I looked at online.

21. Post
    Thanks, I've noticed the Infinity range from Just Laptops also seems to be pretty high on the bang for your buck scale. Is there anything I should be aware of however?

22. Post
    Drbacon wrote:
    I recently picked up a Asus TUF FX505DU from PBtech which I've been very happy with, its the cheapest laptop I could find which comes with a 120hz screen, 1660ti GPU, and good build quality. For your budget I think the new model Helios 300 would be your best bet from all the reviews I looked at online.
    Just be aware the JBHiFi have the Helios 300 1660TI version but are listing it at $3599 which is atleast $1000 over what it should be. I mentioned that to the sales person in there and suspect that someone screwed up and put the 2070 price in the system. That or they are being arseholes and trying to milk it.
    Either way they should match the prices that places like PB Tech have it at which is currently around the $2600 mark.

23. Post
    Kcm_999 wrote:
    Thanks, I've noticed the Infinity range from Just Laptops also seems to be pretty high on the bang for your buck scale. Is there anything I should be aware of however?
    Haven't heard of the Infinity range to be honest so cant say, did do a lot of research prior to purchasing and never came across any of these. That's not to say they aren't good laptops though.

24. Post
    Have you found anything yet?