Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Laptop Help - recommendations

Hey fam,

Just got rid of my MacBook Pro, which was cool and intuitive but wasn't very good for gaming.

Looking at buying something for some form of 'gaming' and back onto windows so I can play games on Steam again.

I'm so out of the loop with regards hardware now but essentially need help for a good laptop if anyone has any recommendations.

Games pretty much are just WoW classic (which currently plays ok on my MacBook Air) and potentially some ARMA 3.

I had a look on the interwebs but they are comparing $4k laptops which for me seems excessive and they're ugly.

Ninja edit: budget can be up to $3600.

Cheers

2. Post
    Dame that's enough for a latest Razer Blade with top specs:
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBKRAZ0238692

Or go with an i7-8xxx and GTX 1060 laptop, price ranged from $2000-$2500 depending on screen size, RAM and SSD.

3. Post
    Oh wow yeah that's pretty much bang on the limit.

Sweet man, have spent all afty watching videos from D2D (Dave Lee) on YouTube about gaming laptops and he kinda made me feel good about dropping out from the latest MBPro.

4. Post
    I'd find something in that budget with the highest spec GPU.

Example, do your own homework on performance of course:
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBK...m-Yet-Mighty-G

Not sure what Dell are like these days, but you used to be able to customise them to suit your requirements. Different GPU options depending on the model etc.

5. Post
    Yeah I've been pretty much leaning towards the ASUS ROG Zephyrus or something MSI (GS65?).

Found this online (AUD) although a little fat, seems ok from a perspective of little to no knowledge. Seems to be a good deal.

6. Post
    Looks fine for the money, based on the limited specs. Unless it's a super sharp price, it might just have 60hz screen or something? Not sure where the price saving comes from. Apart from the 1060 GPU.

7. Post
    Going to suggest this Acer Predator Helios 300

https://www.computerlounge.co.nz/sho...-gaming-laptop

Its the new 2019 model

Good review

8. Post
    My brother literally just got the Helios 500 today!

All I've got out of him is a pic! Thanks though keen to watch tha review in the am.

9. Post
    Pulley wrote:
    My brother literally just got the Helios 500 today!

All I've got out of him is a pic! Thanks though keen to watch tha review in the am.
    The 2019 model is apparently a week or so away but the specs are pretty impressive for what it is.

10. Post
    Man just watched that review, turned out pretty good, I didn't think it was going to perform as well as it did.

Where do you get this good gen from?

11. Post
    Pulley wrote:
    Man just watched that review, turned out pretty good, I didn't think it was going to perform as well as it did.

Where do you get this good gen from?
    Computer Lounge will be stocking it. .. A lot of places though list the older version of it with the 1060 GPU and the 8750H instead of the 9750H.
    I think they are trying to shift stock

Computer Lounge have two different versions listed the GTX 1660TI and the RTX 2070 there's a $1000 difference that's probably not worth it.

12. Post
    Only 16GB of ram. The Aussie stores show it as (2x8GB). Is that enough?

13. Post
    Yep

14. Post
    Pulley wrote:
    Only 16GB of ram. The Aussie stores show it as (2x8GB). Is that enough?
    Computer lounge listed the 1660TI as having 1 stick so you should be able to get it with an extra stick if you need to .. I would check directly with the store

15. Post
    Awesome thanks for your help man

16. Post
    Pulley wrote:
    Awesome thanks for your help man
    All good. Have been keeping an eye on things as need to upgrade computer next year and considering going the laptop route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Post
    gikar wrote:
    All good. Have been keeping an eye on things as need to upgrade computer next year and considering going the laptop route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cool, the Aussie sites are saying they're arriving around 02/08 so a whole month away yet.

18. Post
    I'm looking at picking up an Asus TUF FX505DU which is being released early July.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBK...-Gaming-Laptop

Budget around $2k so wondering if this is a good choice or if there is a better option for similar price.

From the reviews i've seen it looks to be a decent option at this price range.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread

19. Post
    Drbacon wrote:
    I'm looking at picking up an Asus TUF FX505DU which is being released early July.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBK...-Gaming-Laptop

Budget around $2k so wondering if this is a good choice or if there is a better option for similar price.

From the reviews i've seen it looks to be a decent option at this price range.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking your thread
    For the Price it looks pretty good I think

20. Post
    Man that actually looks ok.

21. Post
    If you know people in Singapore, you can score the latest Razer Blade 15 for around $3200SGD with i7 9750 and 2060. Only down side is Razer doesn't offer international warranty at all.

22. Post
    International warranty is the only thing stopping me from buying the latest Helios 300 or 500 in Aus. Although Australia is a little closer than Singapore.

I do fly to Singapore a few times a year though.

23. Post
    Would come down to what their warranties are like overseas too. At least here you know the CGA will cover you after the factory "warranty" expires. Other countries may not have as robust consumer protection.

24. Post
    I'm not sure if it's going to get better than this in NZ.

Could be a bit of me tomorrow.

25. Post
    Pulley wrote:
    I'm not sure if it's going to get better than this in NZ.

Could be a bit of me tomorrow.
    That's a pretty good deal I think