1. Post

Incident at work.

Essentially I am on loan to a company for some training so I can get qualified.

I am nearly done and ideally be qualified by the end of the year.

Today someone I worked with shone a laser thermometer into my eyes. This was done on purpose and despite the fact that it says do not look into laser radiation.

When I told him its bad he just laughed and said I knew you'd say that.

I told the health and safety lady but she just said that he's an idiot and she'll have a chat with him.

Is there anything anything else I can do?

She didnt ask me to fill out a form.

But she did get me to fill out an incident form for when I knocked my head on a low slung beam.

Cheers.

2. Post
    Fill out an incident form. If you are concerned, go see an optometrist and get your eyes tested - probably worth filling out an ACC claim in this case.

3. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Fill out an incident form. If you are concerned, go see an optometrist and get your eyes tested - probably worth filling out an ACC claim in this case.
    Ok. I will do that tomorrow morning. And then talk to my boss about the optometrist

4. Post
    Well i'm sure you could file a complaint with the police. Ask optometrist about the dangers and risks of such actions. See if they would put something in writing to that affect.

If you don't mind rocking the boat that is.

Personally I would probably be going to the top of the food chain in the company until you find someone that will take proper action against the idiot. I would also be letting them know and the person that did it, that you are filing a complaint with the police in regards to the matter. And / or speak with work safe, they will be all over it I imagine. Or, let the "health and safety lady" know that if the matter isn't taken seriously, you'll be talking with work safe about the event. If that doesn't put the shits up her, not much will.

Fxxx that guy, they should be gone, it's pretty clear to me.

5. Post
    It sounds like a major H&S breach and I would have thought the guy who shined a high powered laser into your eyes would be up for instant dismissal.

6. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Well i'm sure you could file a complaint with the police. Ask optometrist about the dangers and risks of such actions. See if they would put something in writing to that affect.

If you don't mind rocking the boat that is.

Personally I would probably be going to the top of the food chain in the company until you find someone that will take proper action against the idiot. I would also be letting them know and the person that did it, that you are filing a complaint with the police in regards to the matter. And / or speak with work safe, they will be all over it I imagine. Or, let the "health and safety lady" know that if the matter isn't taken seriously, you'll be talking with work safe about the event. If that doesn't put the shits up her, not much will.

Fxxx that guy, they should be gone, it's pretty clear to me.
    I didn't think of that.

Hmm.... I am kind of in a pickle. Small industry and I am employed by a big company. And I need my trade cert.

But I also want to get the result it deserves.

I think she'd much sooner give me a verbal dressing down than actually do anything about it. I am "only an apprentice" so not worthy of being treated like an adult or taken seriously.

SirGrim wrote:
    It sounds like a major H&S breach and I would have thought the guy who shined a high powered laser into your eyes would be up for instant dismissal.
    This company is not like a normal company. Owners are soft. No GPS in the utes so some people get to site at 10am. Go home at 2pm. They know but don't do anything about it. Frustrating really.

Just full of stuff like this and people like that.

7. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    This company is not like a normal company. Owners are soft. No GPS in the utes so some people get to site at 10am. Go home at 2pm. They know but don't do anything about it. Frustrating really.

Just full of stuff like this and people like that.
    Sounds like a great place to work.

8. Post
    Very stupid of the guy, and I understand the frustration, but the laser pointers on those things are pretty low power. Given this, I'm not sure how worthwhile it would be to rock the boat.

9. Post
    Should've smacked the **** over

10. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:

OP, you could just have a chat with the H&S lady, and say that you feel it's a major breach of H&S rules, and could be seen as gross misconduct, which is likely dismissable. That you don't want to rock the boat, but believe more should be done - then mention WorkSafe, ACC, Police, and optometry assessment.

Give them the opportunity to do more than give the prick a talking to.

11. Post
    So many idiots, unprofessional twats in the work environment. People are people, they tend to do stupid shit without the concern of others.

I had a similar incident instead mine was verbal. I was so upset I wanted to step the guy out after work but then I said to myself I have to remain calm and professional plus I only had two weeks left at the job too.

I'm glad I got out of there immediately, toxic work environment. If you're feeling this way and it's affecting your mental health - you should try find another job or speak to HR.

I'm not very experienced on this section much because usually I let things slide which isn't healthy I know. But NZ's mentality is so uneducated. "oh harden up."

12. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    I wanted to just post this to be honest. Because that is likely how I would have reacted.

Lead by example I was once told... so I posted other options

13. Post
    +1 for snotting him in the face.

Then set fire to his family.

14. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    I wanted to just post this to be honest. Because that is likely how I would have reacted.

Yeah I'm pretty laid back & passive most of the time but that dude was crossing the line & could've caused permanent damage. I don't think I could stand for that.

Plus there's rarely any justice for the victim in this day & age. The dude will probably just get a warning & will carry on merrily with his life without having to suffer any consequences.

15. Post
    Zarkov wrote:
    Sounds like a great place to work.
    If you're looking for an easy life then yes. Otherwise it'll take someone good and tune then into a lazy one.

WillAY wrote:
    Very stupid of the guy, and I understand the frustration, but the laser pointers on those things are pretty low power. Given this, I'm not sure how worthwhile it would be to rock the boat.
    I haven't pushed for anything. I have just told them what happened. They decided to have a please explain meeting with the option of escalating further. At this stage it is all their decisions.

Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    I thought of it. Nearly done my apprenticeship so I am more keen on the higher wages than throwing 3 years away.

Frederick James wrote:

OP, you could just have a chat with the H&S lady, and say that you feel it's a major breach of H&S rules, and could be seen as gross misconduct, which is likely dismissable. That you don't want to rock the boat, but believe more should be done - then mention WorkSafe, ACC, Police, and optometry assessment.

Give them the opportunity to do more than give the prick a talking to.

I got looked at by a doctor with a split lamp machine. They said that any issues I should go to an optometrist as soon as possible.

As above a please explain meeting with the moron will be held and then if they decide to proceed with disciplinary action they will.

ACC claim is lodged.

My employer is pretty good at reporting quickly to worksafe so they'll know about it.

iNx wrote:
    So many idiots, unprofessional twats in the work environment. People are people, they tend to do stupid shit without the concern of others.

I had a similar incident instead mine was verbal. I was so upset I wanted to step the guy out after work but then I said to myself I have to remain calm and professional plus I only had two weeks left at the job too.

I'm glad I got out of there immediately, toxic work environment. If you're feeling this way and it's affecting your mental health - you should try find another job or speak to HR.

I'm not very experienced on this section much because usually I let things slide which isn't healthy I know. But NZ's mentality is so uneducated. "oh harden up."
    I am on a fixed term contract so when I have my qual I'll be off most likely

Fragluton wrote:

If I responded with violence then I'd he out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Mancubus wrote:
    +1 for snotting him in the face.

Then set fire to his family.
    Lol. Nuclear bomb the bridge.

Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Yeah I'm pretty laid back & passive most of the time but that dude was crossing the line & could've caused permanent damage. I don't think I could stand for that.

Plus there's rarely any justice for the victim in this day & age. The dude will probably just get a warning & will carry on merrily with his life without having to suffer any consequences.
    Most likely. I am in a pickle as I need to work with him to get my qualifications. So kind of have to tread carefully.

16. Post
    Phone in sick, say your having trouble with your vision since the incident with the laser pointer and that the dr said it should be referee to the police. Ask the health and safety lady what she wants to do, put it on her.

Then go in with an eye patch for a few days. **** them up.

17. Post
    Puk wrote:
    Phone in sick, say your having trouble with your vision since the incident with the laser pointer and that the dr said it should be referee to the police. Ask the health and safety lady what she wants to do, put it on her.

Then go in with an eye patch for a few days. **** them up.
    Ah yes. Then get sent to the optometrist only for them to find out that I'm lying and hence destroying all of my credibility

18. Post
    Mr sika wrote:
    Ah yes. Then get sent to the optometrist only for them to find out that I'm lying and hence destroying all of my credibility
    Good point.

Being serious though, if it would mess up your career to report it, donít do it. Not worth it as long as you are ok, but like others have said, still lodge it with ACC just in case.

19. Post
    Puk wrote:
    Good point.

Being serious though, if it would mess up your career to report it, donít do it. Not worth it as long as you are ok, but like others have said, still lodge it with ACC just in case.
    I haven't made a formal complaint. I only wanted them to be aware that it happened and to pay for me to get checked by a doctor. Which happened today.

So I am content for now. Anything further than this is my trainer's decision.

20. Post
    It sounds like you've struck the right balance

21. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    It sounds like you've struck the right balance
    Thanks. I explained that it put me in a bit of a pickle so he said to let him know if there's any sort of bullying or unprofessional behavior.

22. Post
    - who is your health and safety rep? By law, you're meant to have workplace partcipation and representation.
    - if issues don't get sorted, next step is to check in with a worksafe inspector.
    Drives like an Asian till he gets behind the wheel of a holden

23. Post
    Amoki wrote:
    - who is your health and safety rep? By law, you're meant to have workplace partcipation and representation.
    - if issues don't get sorted, next step is to check in with a worksafe inspector.
    There is one for the office workers and one for the tradies.

It has kind of reached an impasse. The meeting that was going to happen never eventuated. But I got checked out so I have to kind of accept where things are at now.

24. Post
    In the current climate we have or focusing on work place bullying I find it incomprehensible that they would not follow through.

Hopefully you can finish your apprenticeship in peace and get the **** out of there as soon as possible.

25. Post
    Doesn’t sound like it’s at the level that is notifiable to WorkSafe. The general rule (for an injury) is that it is ‘serious’ or requires something more than first aid. You got a low powered laser pointer in your eye - so I suspect you’ll be OK.

More likely it is about poor behaviour by the other worker - so notifying to HR makes sense. If you were really incensed you could make a
    formal complaint and tell them you consider it bullying and want it escalated. Don’t really see the point in rocking the boat unless this chap is a repeat twerp.

Your employer (and an organisation you’re seconded to or what-not) has a duty to provide you with a safe workplace though!