Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Ever not played a Game because Its too Violent?

I consider myself pretty thick skinned. And I can usually put up with violence in movies and games because theirs usually a fantastical element to it. But in the last year I apparently found my limit. It was in the most recent Wolfenstein game. The New Colossus. The opening scene where the main character is forced to shoot a dog and you cant progress until you do. There's no option to skip it either. (At least COD gave you the option to skip No Russian) There was something about this moment for whatever reason this just didn't sit well with me. And I haven't gone back to the game or series since. Anyone else ever experienced something similar?

2. Post
    What about the dogs in Wolf 3D? PRetty much had to kill them too. BUt I get what you mean, my auntie wouldn't let me play Wolf 3D because of that.

3. Post
    lol nah i have no issues at all. Its only a game & your only shooting pixels lol. The only thing that gets to me with games & movies is seeing children suffering & in pain.

4. Post
    Never stopped playing a game, but Spec Ops: The Line really pushed the comfort factor IMO

5. Smile
    I thought Doom (2016) was getting close to over the top especially with the glory kills.
    All i want the next version (Eternal) for is just the story... i may just read what happens.

The ultimate doom and doom2 were ok because they weren't as realistic.

Tbh I'm getting very tired of First Person Shooters, Strategy seems more my style.

6. Post
    Honestly, in a similar view, when I try and play Monster Hunter I legit feel sad chasing after the creature when its limping away trying to escape.

No idea why fighting millions of rabbits and worms etc in Final Fantasy XI for EXP is fine, but something about MH bothers me. By all rights it should be a series I really would be into (Japanese style, grinding for gear, co-op etc), but thats one of the reasons why I've always struggled to be.

7. Post
    Manhunt was quite "out there" for it's day, though not as graphic by today's standards. Killing someone with a plastic bag over their head, gasping for breath as the life drains out of them. Was pretty grim.

8. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Never stopped playing a game, but Spec Ops: The Line really pushed the comfort factor IMO
    Yeah that was pretty disturbing. I guess it largely depends on how realistic the character models look as well.

A lot of people found the torture scene in GTA5 disturbing but I had no issue with it, since it was kind of showing the ridiculousness & futility of the torturing of terrorist suspects in real life.

9. Post
    I loved Spec ops: The Line the first time I played it. Got creeped out a couple of times but damn the story was pretty engrossing. Can't say I've stopped playing any games due to how violent they were.

10. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    Manhunt was quite "out there" for it's day, though not as graphic by today's standards. Killing someone with a plastic bag over their head, gasping for breath as the life drains out of them. Was pretty grim.
    True but each enemy was a scumbag who wouldn't have hesitated to do worse to you.

11. Post
    Games, never. I did reach my limit with one movie - The Devil's Rejects uncut.

12. Post
    Frederick James wrote:
    I never really had a problem with Manhunt except for the gameplay being a bit ho-hum. Possibly Rockstar's worst game. Being banned was probably the best thing that could have happened for it in terms of notoriety.

13. Post
    Magic Robertson wrote:
    I thought Doom (2016) was getting close to over the top especially with the glory kills.
    All i want the next version (Eternal) for is just the story... i may just read what happens.

The ultimate doom and doom2 were ok because they weren't as realistic.

Tbh I'm getting very tired of First Person Shooters, Strategy seems more my style.
    What about tactical and sim first person shooters like ArmA, Squad, Insurgency, Red Orchestra etc? That's more slow paced and working with your squad/getting commanded around by another person playing commander.

14. Smile
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Yeah that was pretty disturbing. I guess it largely depends on how realistic the character models look as well.
    Begs the question, Do we want horror games or war games to get much more realistic?

Like how real do you want to make it?

Pxndx wrote:
    What about tactical and sim first person shooters like ArmA, Squad, Insurgency, Red Orchestra etc? That's more slow paced and working with your squad/getting commanded around by another person playing commander.
    I like ghost recon i admit but I'm not that good at it.

15. Post
    I hate killing Sif every time I play Dark Soul

16. Post
    Dead Space 2 - when you run out of ammo and have to use that gravity thing with improvised projectiles **** **** ****

And the bits towards the end with the regenerating alien

I did finish it but damn I had to work hard to not quit

17. Post
    Games like this very popular early access VR game are pretty much psychopath simulators - VR just takes it to the next level:

The solo dev of this game wasn't even going to stick dismemberment in, but the players demanded it.

18. Post
    What. wrote:
    Dead Space 2 - when you run out of ammo and have to use that gravity thing with improvised projectiles **** **** ****
    Do you mean Half-Life 2?

19. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    Do you mean Half-Life 2?
    You can "force throw" in Dead Space too. Remember using it for puzzle solving?

20. Post
    COD this year is gonna grind some gears I have heard.

21. Post
    Blade & Sorcery is probably the closest I've got. It's bloody visceral to be able to pick up a character by the throat and body slam them onto spikes then cut their head off and pick it up and throw it at someone else.

Even with people watching it I'm slightly apologetic for the content. Fantastic game - but VR is the domain where this is going to be the most challenging I think.

22. Post
    Never stopped playing the game because of violence, but I do find it extremely hard and sad to kill dragons in DA: I. They just react so realistically to pain and are such beautiful creatures, I killed one, felt bad and did not kill another ever. Even for the achievement.

23. Post
    not 'a' game but some of the hardcore splatter games i just don't care for, evil within etc. Same with horror moves. Cbf with gore

24. Post
    bauuubass wrote:
    Never stopped playing the game because of violence, but I do find it extremely hard and sad to kill dragons in DA: I. They just react so realistically to pain and are such beautiful creatures, I killed one, felt bad and did not kill another ever. Even for the achievement.
    I hear ya on this one buddy

25. Post
    As a kid I was too sacred to play through much of System Shock 2, not really sure about violence though. Those manhunt games were more ridiculous than anything else