Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last

1. Post

Hell Pizza Admits Adding Fake Meat In Burger Pizza

Yikes....

Hell Pizza is at risk of having breached the Fair Trading Act by covertly adding fake meat to its menu and the company should seek legal advice, a marketing lawyer says.

Thousands of Kiwis unwittingly sampled Beyond Meat after Hell Pizza covertly added the product to its menu.

The New Zealand-owned chain launched its burger pizza last Friday, with ingredients including "medium-rare burger patty".

After selling thousands of the pizzas to customers around the country, Hell revealed on Wednesday the patties were a plant-based creation from US company Beyond Meat.

Lawyer Rae Nield said there was a high risk Hell was in breach of the Act, which protected consumers from being misled.

"What does a reasonable consumer expect if it says "burger" and there's no qualifier it doesn't say "veggie" or "meat-free". A reasonable consumer is going to think that means meat."

Although the company had since updated the pizza's ingredients list on its website to include "medium-rare Beyond Meat burger patty", Nield said it was still on questionable legal ground.

"What does Beyond Meat mean to consumers? Unless you're familiar with the particular product, it's still not clear, particularly when all the other burgers are meat based," she said.

Nield said it was surprising Hell had not sought legal advice before launching the burger pizza and recommended the company do that now.

Ben Cumming, general manager of Hell, said the company wanted to introduce customers to alternative proteins in an unexpected way.

"We care about the planet and want to start a conversation and raise awareness about sustainable food choices," he said.

"A lot of people are instantly put off by the idea of fake meats, so we made the call to not reveal its meat-free origins to [people] eating it because we were so confident they'd enjoy these patties."

Although customers were told the patties were plant-based only if they asked, Cumming said the company hadn't misled anyone.

"Obviously we thought carefully about how to pitch and promote it.

"We're pretty familiar with the Fair Trading Act because of the business we're in and we're confident we're not in breach of any rules."

Beyond Meat uses ingredients that mimic the composition of real meat, like proteins from peas, broad beans and soy, to create products that look and cook like beef or chicken.

Although marketed as better for both people and the planet, questions have been raised over whether highly-processed plant-based "meats" are any healthier than red meat.

A spokeswoman for Consumer NZ said if people felt strongly about not eating a plant-based alternative protein, they were best to query any ambiguous ingredients.

However, by not not claiming the burger was made from meat, Hell had remained within the rules, she said.

"You do get things like bean burgers so "burger" doesn't just apply to beef or meat.

"That level of detail is more of an issue in places like the European Union where there is real debate about products labelled "milk" or "meat" when they're not.

"If the menu said "beef burger", you might have a case but Hell is known for clever advertising and publicity and I think they've been clever again."

Customers with a gluten intolerance or coeliac disease were likely to avoid a pizza topped with anything described as "burger", she said.

"Burgers often contain gluten to bind them but so long as those allergens are labelled correctly or allergen information is supplied when it's requested, that's OK."

Cumming said Hell had sold more than 3000 of the pizzas in less than a week and just one person had queried what the product was.

The meatless ingredient was revealed to customers in an online survey which found 80 per cent of people were pleasantly surprised or unfazed to find out it was plant-based.

Demand for meat-free options was increasing and as well as almost selling out of its limited supply of Beyond Meat, Hell had sold 35,000 vegan pizzas so far this year, Cumming said.

"With more pressure on the planet's resources, we need to think about alternative food options.

"If covertly adding meat-free options onto a pizza encourages more people to be open-minded, we're happy to do that," he said.
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/113...burger-patties

2. Post
    Pulling a little sneaky one on your customer base, its risky.

If companies get the idea that it's ok to prank their customers, especially in the food industry, I can see this being a slippery slope and Hell should face some consequences for it if only to discourage any similar events. As someone who's started to really pay attention to their nutrition recently, I'd be pissed if I was misled like this.

3. Post
    sounds like some marketing bs. Beyond meat is far more expensive Than meat. In Aus it’s ~$50 kg

4. Post
    Huh, sneaaaaky

Legal issues aside, they can defend themselves all they like, but if their customer base thinks they have been deceived, they have indeed been deceived, and the whole "we wanted to do it quirky" excuse only annoys those that felt deceived even more, heres hoping the cost vs harm or whatever analasis they hopefully did came out with it saying the benefit outweighs the lost\pissed off customers cause this looks like it might go a bit awkward for them

5. Post
    on the other side of the coin this has made me curious to try it and see if its any good, personally ive never understood the point of meat analogues, if youre a vegetarian/vegan cool for you and thats super, but if its what you believe in etc why try and fake that somethings meat, the whole things smacks of intentional deception

6. Post
    great marketing, lots of people will order it tonight for dinner

7. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    on the other side of the coin this has made me curious to try it and see if its any good, personally ive never understood the point of meat analogues, if youre a vegetarian/vegan cool for you and thats super, but if its what you believe in etc why try and fake that somethings meat, the whole things smacks of intentional deception
    Kind of like Coke Zero, then eh? ... I'm not a vegetarian because I don't like the taste of meat, I **ing love the taste of meat. if I can get something that tastes like it but isn't actually meat, I'm all for it.

If this pizza is sill for sale (or comes for sale again soon) they'r probably going to sell loads of them.

8. Post
    Lemieux_66 wrote:
    Kind of like Coke Zero, then eh? ...
    kinda, yea.

Lemieux_66 wrote:
    I'm not a vegetarian because I don't like the taste of meat, I **ing love the taste of meat. if I can get something that tastes like it but isn't actually meat, I'm all for it.
    fair enough, if you dont mind me asking, if its not for principle reasons why are you a vegetarian? my post wasnt a dig ftr, i just said i never understood the point, that doesnt mean there isnt one, im open to learning

9. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    Environmental reasons, health reasons, ethics. Pick one and you’ll have your reason for people going vego

10. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    kinda, yea.

fair enough, if you dont mind me asking, if its not for principle reasons why are you a vegetarian? my post wasnt a dig ftr, i just said i never understood the point, that doesn't mean there isn't one, im open to learning
    Without sending the thread off in a different direction, its more to do with the environment and the handling of the animals, than not liking meat. These types of things would have a pretty massive market as i'm sure there's heaps of people like me around or people who are considering making the switch but haven't yet because they think they cant drop meat because they like it.

FYI I'm not 100% vege, I have a cheat day once a month because at this specific point in time there's nothing avaliable that compares to a muzzas Steak and Cheese Pie for lunch or a Beef and Mustard Sausage for dinner! But I don't need actual meat on Pizza, so would be down to try the fake stuff if its available.

11. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    One scenario is having strong environmental concerns about meat - if there was an environmentally sustainable (reasonably priced) alternative that tasted like meat I would be keen

12. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    One scenario is having strong environmental concerns about meat - if there was an environmentally sustainable (reasonably priced) alternative that tasted like meat I would be keen
    This.

I'd be keen to change too - but it would have to be pretty damn close to actual meat in texture and taste. But the biggest hurdle to overcome is cost. It's stupidly expensive.

13. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    Not just tasted like meat, but was also full of protein and iron then sure I'd swap

14. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    yea thats the explanation i was expecting tbh, and thats fine. i just feel if youre making a stand against the use of something for your beliefs then you wouldnt use analogues of said product.

15. Post
    How dare they try sneak veges into my pizza diet!

16. Post
    it's not just people being mislead , it's also wrong for people with allergy's . if i was expecting meat and then was slipped something i was really allergic to that was contained in the patty, i would not be happy. There's a reason why there are detailed labels on food.

17. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    it's not just people being mislead , it's also wrong for people with allergy's . if i was expecting meat and then was slipped something i was really allergic to that was contained in the patty, i would not be happy. There's a reason why there are detailed labels on food.
    Except they do declare allergens correctly?

18. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    yea thats the explanation i was expecting tbh, and thats fine. i just feel if youre making a stand against the use of something for your beliefs then you wouldnt use analogues of said product.
    I would. And will, once it becomes economic. Why wouldn't you?

19. Post
    MarksoN wrote:
    Except they do declare allergens correctly?
    How? Beyond burger has pea protein and I doubt they stated that when you got it.

20. Post
    beyond burgers are ****ing delicious

21. Post
    NaCh0 wrote:
    How? Beyond burger has pea protein and I doubt they stated that when you got it.
    Peas are a legume and they fall in the same area as peanuts so you really need to know if they are in your food and if you are looking at something that says medium rare patty do you think that it could have peas in it.

22. Post
    GaR wrote:
    I would. And will, once it becomes economic. Why wouldn't you?
    fair question, answer is i dunno, i probably would just as rather become vegetarian

23. Post
    Toolman wrote:
    Peas are a legume and they fall in the same area as peanuts so you really need to know if they are in your food and if you are looking at something that says medium rare patty do you think that it could have peas in it.
    Ya thats why I said that lol. I deal with anaphylactic allergies too. Thankfully not allergic to beyond burgers because they are ****ing great

24. Post
    NaCh0 wrote:
    Ya thats why I said that lol. I deal with anaphylactic allergies too. Thankfully not allergic to beyond burgers because they are ****ing great
    I'd like to point out to that f***tard at Hells Pizza that his statement of a very rare allergy is bollocks. There are an estimated 400 million people world wide with the legume allergy. My youngest has a severe reaction (the condition is called G6PD Deficiency).

Beyond Burgers label their ingredients and make a point of pointing out the legume content and that the burger is not suitable for people with legume allergies. Hells Pizza sure as hell didn't pass this on.

Those twits will not get my business ever again. That arrogant arsehole was on the radio denying they did anything wrong - no accepting they didn't something incredibly dumb.

25. Post
    lmao this is very good.

FWIW Burger Fuel had the Beyond Burgers too. They're a very very good analogue for a McDonald's meat patty. They're not going to bop a good quality beef burger yet but they're absolutely fine for fast food variants, to the point where I'm pretty happy digging into them.