1. Post
    bobdobbs wrote:
    The patty they use can be cooked rare, medium rare or well done though and is advertised to be done so.. Fish can be cooked rare as well not just meat .
    true - some of those fake meat patties bleed and everything, there probably isn't a better term to describe how cooked they are. it's not like they're grilling a carrot or something

2. Post
    There is no blood, therefore they do not bleed.

3. Post
    obviously the general public all know that it's not legal to serve medium rare mince meat in new zealand and quite clearly knew it was a vege pattie

4. Post
    Its legal to be med rare if you have approval by MPI i think it is. quite a few places do it.

5. Post
    Privoxy wrote:
    It's being mislead. It's not a lie. A lie is telling you something that isn't true.
    He made a statement with intention to deceive. By both the dictionary, US law and Stanford's definition, that counts as a lie. If you're going to make a claim, back it up

6. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    There is no blood, therefore they do not bleed.
    Predator said that if it bleeds, we can kill it. Thusly if a beetroot is dead, it can bleed.

7. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    Predator said that if it bleeds, we can kill it. Thusly if a beetroot is dead, it can bleed.
    Thanks, now I've got that ****ing song stuck in my head

8. Post
    popopop wrote:
    lol im the guy that prefers the crappy frozen pizzas that always on discount in paknsave
    To be fair those are actually pretty good

9. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    To be fair those are actually pretty good
    McCain's pizza ftw.

10. Post
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/lie

Fits the definition of lie.

11. Post
    So I saw some Beyond Meat at countdown and decided to give it a try.

Beyond meat burger patties do not taste or cook like meat. The texture when eating is more like one of those "fish" cakes which is 80% potato, and the patties are far too delicate in the initial stages of cooking.

In fact the only time these overpriced vege rissoles resembled meat was when I opened the packaging, and was greeted by a smell which was quite similar to rancid meat.

The taste was okay compared to beef burgers but at $14 for two patties (200g weight), suffice it to say I'm very disappointed.

The packaging claims it is meat. Blended vegetables are not meat and "meat substitute" companies should stop trying to be something they're not.

My only consolation is that I also paid $8 for some beef, which made 4 regular beef patties. These were tastier and far better to cook with than an overpriced vegetable smoothie reduction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	i cant believe its not meat.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	226738

D-, would not trade again.

**** you Ethan Brown.

12. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    **** you Ethan Brown.
    Ethan Brown right now

Name:	95751364-D871-4B76-802D-511B2A9B1D89.gif 
Views:	21 
Size:	879.4 KB 
ID:	226739

13. Post
    Did you cook them medium rare though?

14. Post
    Blue Vein CHEESE wrote:
    So I saw some Beyond Meat at countdown and decided to give it a try.

Beyond meat burger patties do not taste or cook like meat. The texture when eating is more like one of those "fish" cakes which is 80% potato, and the patties are far too delicate in the initial stages of cooking.

In fact the only time these overpriced vege rissoles resembled meat was when I opened the packaging, and was greeted by a smell which was quite similar to rancid meat.

The taste was okay compared to beef burgers but at $14 for two patties (200g weight), suffice it to say I'm very disappointed.

The packaging claims it is meat. Blended vegetables are not meat and "meat substitute" companies should stop trying to be something they're not.

My only consolation is that I also paid $8 for some beef, which made 4 regular beef patties. These were tastier and far better to cook with than an overpriced vegetable smoothie reduction.

Name:	i cant believe its not meat.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	226738

D-, would not trade again.

**** you Ethan Brown.
    I could have told you that. Get rid of the packaging to your outside bin or the freezer till bin day - it is the most rancid smelling shite!

Don't bother trying the cheaper Canadian ones they sell either, they are far worse.

I'm interested to see if Impossible Burger tastes any better. I can see how they can pawn this shite off on countries that don't have the quality of beef we have though. Also, if it was all you ate, you'd get used to its not right taste I guess - but not that fecking smell!

15. Post
    Sunfed chicken and gardein phish is where it's at.

16. Post
    Gardein is the horrible Canadian one I mentioned above:

Gardein Burger wrote:
    Water, Textured Vegetable Protein (Soy Protein Concentrate, Caramel Colour), Soy Protein Concentrate, Vital Wheat Gluten, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Onions, Soy Protein Isolate, Emulsifier (Methylcellulose E461), Yeast Extract, Onion Powder, Black Malted Barley Extract1, Garlic Powder, Dehydrated Garlic, Organic Ancient Grain Flour (KAMUT® Khorasan Wheat, Amaranth, Millet, Quinoa), Natural Flavours 2, Cane Sugar, Potato Starch, Sea Salt, Salt, White Distilled Vinegar, Spices (Celery Seeds), Organic Cane Sugar, Smoke Flavour, Spice Extractives, Pea Protein, Molasses Powder (Molasses, Wheat Starch, Soy Lecithin), Carrot Fibre, Sugar Beet Fibre

vs
    Beyond Meat Burger wrote:
    Pea Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Water, Yeast Extract, Maltodextrin, Natural Flavours , Stabiliser (Gum Arabic), Sunflower Oil, Salt, Flavour (Succinic Acid), Acidity Regulator (Acetic Acid), Non-GMO Modified Food Starch, Cellulose1, Thickener (Methylcellulose), Potato Starch, Colour (Beet Juice Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Annato), Citrus Fruit Extract, Vegetable Glycerin
    Both are horrid lab concoctions, but Beyond's recipe is at least the more palatable and more realistic copy of the two.

17. Post
    Bostock's Organic Free Range Chicken is where its at.

18. Post
    The only thing I can see being problematic is caramel colouring. There could be more, but nothing really stands out in my experience.

These foods should be treated like vegan junk food moments, and shouldn't make up more than a couple of meals a week.

But here is the ingredient list of the fishless fillet I specifically mentioned.

gardein™: Water, Canola Oil, Textured Vegetable Protein Product (Soy Protein Concentrate, Color Added), Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Tapioca Starch, Potato Starch, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Degerminated Yellow Corn Flour, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Salt, Wheat Gluten, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Leavening (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate), Paprika, Soy Flour, DHA Algal Oil, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Spice, Sugar, Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Spices, Turmeric. Turmeric Extractives. *Non genetically engineered soybeans, wheat and canola.
    And sunfed chicken, a little healthier and is my go to quick protein straight from the freezer.

Water, Pea Protein, Rice Bran Oil, Pea Fibre, NZ Pumpkin, Natural Yeast Extract, NZ Maize Starch.

19. Post
    Thunderstorm wrote:
    Bostock's Organic Free Range Chicken is where its at.

Nah, Dal tadka.

20. Post
    Sunfed chicken's pretty damn good. My partner occasionally bursts in with a meat substitute and says IT'S JUST LIKE THE REAL THING; Sunfed's the closest any of those claims have ever been (by far).

21. Post
    yeah sunfed chicken is the bomb.... Fry's family stuff is good too

22. Post
    Imma Kant wrote:
    And sunfed chicken, a little healthier and is my go to quick protein straight from the freezer.
    Wow, that is a clean bill of ingredients, I would buy nothing else.

23. Post
    w0lfbrains wrote:
    Wow, that is a clean bill of ingredients, I would buy nothing else.
    You seem particularly prickly at the moment. Everything okay?

24. Post
    What? I'm a vegetarian and I eat these fake meats a lot. That is a nice low list of ingredients compared to some of the stuff I've eaten

25. Post
    are there any good vegetarian/vegan cheeses you can recommend?