1. Post

Home security cameras?

Anyone got any sub $500 home security cam setup suggestions? Ideally have 2-4 cameras and connect to net wirelessly.

I've looked at Arlo, but a guy at work said they have expensive non-generic batteries which cost a fortune to replace?

2. Post
    Only got basic knowledge of security cams but the Arlo's we have at work at a pain in the ass. Ended up buying rechargeables for them but we have to replace the batteries weekly.
    I'd stay away from wifi cams and just make sure to go with POE unless it's impossible to run cables.
    I got a couple Dahua POE cameras and a Dahua NVR from Ali for about $500. Big saving against buying locally saving about 50%.
    This was the store I brought from https://xinray.aliexpress.com/store/319147

3. Post
    We bought the Arlo Ultra 3 camera setup recently (after an attempted break-in). They're not cheap (~$1k) but really good for ease of installation and battery life is excellent (since the cameras only run when triggered) - mine will last at least 2 months without a charge. App is a little clunky, but they're pretty active in improving it and squashing bugs.

Avoid the first generation Arlo cameras (I think they use coin cells or something stupid), the Arlo Pro 2 (2nd gen) might be worth a look if you're happy with 1080p (which you generally should be) and are a lot cheaper.

If was wiring in (which wasn't really an option for me) I'd look at other options - if you want ease of setup then I reckon Nest/Ring are worth a look.

4. Post

5. Post
    Used to work at Noels, Swanns seemed the best, but silly customers didn't want to run cables. Lol, have fun running cables then.

6. Post
    We've got Arlo Pro's - 3x camera setup - paid $450 on tardme. Have them setup on a schedule, rechargeable batterys last around 3 months. Can't imagine not having anything now

7. Post
    Thanks for all the quality feedback guys.

I think due to ease of use (the systems for the olds), may settle on Arlo as its less complicated to set up for them.

8. Post
    You in Auckland DC? I have a contact that may be able to see you Arlo cheaply. Otherwise can give you links to my 8 Camera NVR and POE setup for ~$500NZ that is pieced together mostly from Aliexpress

9. Post
    Using Reolink from Aliexpress (if you have no concern on these China gov monitoring your dogs)
    My outdoor cam came with the solar panel, indoor unit can just linked to any USB plug.

Currently they have a free 1GB 7 days plan for single camera cloud storage

10. Post
    Have the Arlo Ultra. Love them, the picture quality is unrivaled, especially in low light situation.

If you're wanting something a little cheaper, check out Samsung and their Smart Things cameras.

11. Post
    kopkiwi wrote:
    Have the Arlo Ultra. Love them, the picture quality is unrivaled, especially in low light situation.

If you're wanting something a little cheaper, check out Samsung and their Smart Things cameras.
    How often do they need a recharge?