1. Post
    How exactly do we win a game 36-0 and lose our number 1 ranking.....seems ridiculous to me.

2. Post
    It is a very convoluted system, much like Duckworth–Lewis in cricket. I read the comment section on the Guardian and even Welsh fans aren't deluding themselves with that on paper ranking.

3. Post
    Laumape is the best 12 in NZ. End of.

4. Post
    Good one.

5. Post
    And you call us Cantabs one-eyed

6. Post
    kopkiwi wrote:
    Laumape is the best 12 in NZ. End of.
    Oh my.

Vulcan wrote:
    Laumape didn't get ball last week. Doesn't matter what shape or size you are. Laumapes strength is his height, his low CoG is how he breaks the line.

I don't like SBW but he did have a good game, as did Aaron Smith for a change. We need a replacement for Moody. ALB still doesn't cut it for me.

Also Peyper did a decent job ref'ing, I think the problem we have are the sideline AR's. The Japanese one was not calling all the crap at the break down and the knock ons last week. Aussies were called on all their mistakes this week and that made a big difference.
    Honestly, I have no idea how you can say ALB doesn't cut it. His hands are excellent, he makes his tackles, he's elusive and can offload. His involvement last night was super high with no real errors that I could see. Was one of the Chiefs best all season. Laumape is not going to find the holes in midfield like he can in super rugby, test rugby defences are just a lot better. Where he finds space is usually out wide for the AB's.

Laumape is a ball hog which irks me. Retallick even irks me for being such a hog.

7. Post
    Ben Smith is now in an awfully similar position to Cory Jane in 2015.

8. Post
    shadowguy wrote:
    Yep I agree.

9. Post
    shadowguy wrote:
    Wasn't Savea also a bit in limbo like Rieko also? Not in form before the cup but then steamrolled France and it was forgotten. Kahui 2011, NMS 2015, we don't really go with the standout wingers of previous years in WC's.

I still think Rieko is a great player, he would have done some damage last night with that platform. Definitely low on confidence though, hard to see them dropping the form pair from last night.

10. Post
    Don't forget Dagg>Mils in 2011 as well.

Looks like the "experiment" is a success in any case.

11. Post
    I can't imagine Reiko being dropped. He's only 22 so heaps of years left he's still one of the best wingers just needs to get his head right.

12. Post
    "I kicked the ball quite a bit last night, and probably would have liked to run it a little bit more, but physically I wasn't feeling well," he said. "I had some terrible gut pains and some gastro issues, so it was a bit of a shame.

Barrett confirmed the illness only came on a few hours before the game and had cleared up by Sunday morning. It did not stop him having a "few slurps" out of the Bledisloe Cup as the All Blacks enjoyed their bounceback victory to tuck the big trophy away for a 17th consecutive year."

13. Post
    ludez wrote:
    I can't imagine Reiko being dropped. He's only 22 so heaps of years left he's still one of the best wingers just needs to get his head right.
    He's a fast runner, sure. But he's not a great wing, well... maybe for Auckland but given Aucklands ranking maybe not overall.

14. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    He's a fast runner, sure. But he's not a great wing, well... maybe for Auckland but given Aucklands ranking maybe not overall.
    Wut?

15. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Not a great wing?

16. Post
    The 2 wings playing well only gives more selection headaches to the coaches .. Hard to know how the other 2 would have gone with such a good platform. Can't complain though, we look well sorted in the back 3 at least for depth.

Ioane has been released for Mitre 10 duties, to find form no doubt.

17. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Laumape didn't get ball last week. Doesn't matter what shape or size you are. Laumapes strength is his height, his low CoG is how he breaks the line.
    Exactly, that's why he makes more ground past the advantage line than any other midfielder we have & clearly has all the skill sets too... you can see from a mile away though tunnel vision Hansen isn't going to select him in his RWC squad which would just be bloody ludicrous... always find it hilarious when Hansen is asked the tough questions in tv interviews his go to answer is, " you'll have to wait & see " what a cop-out.

Bridge reminds of Ben Smith, exciting runner, reads play really well, very smart player.

18. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    What?

Bro, care to share some of what you are smoking?

19. Post
    funnily enough even on the Auckland team and likely the Blues, given Rieko's form he may not even start, both Salesi Rayasi , Caleb Clarke and Tanielu Tele'a were in better form and younger than him. Lets be honest, Rieko is still there based on experience and past performances. They kept playing him in the Super season even tho it was clear he was not the player he was from last year, his confidence and speed seemed down.

If i was him, i would leave the cesspool of underperformance that is the Blues and head down to Highlanders. With multiple wings leaving there along with Ben Smith , it would be a good change and you will be in a better management team . ( plus Josh Ioane has a bright future and is developing nicely as the next potential 1st 5 for the ABs )

20. Post
    Yeah definitely need him in form.

I agree with you, I think he should change franchises as he won't learn much being at the Blues but sadly his hometown is in Auckland..

Leave your comfort zone!
    Last edited by iNx; 19th August 2019 at 12:27 pm.

21. Post
    Geeze you guys are so quick to write Rieko and Ben off...

22. Post
    Some of the Rieko comments are a bit ridiculous. Still had 9 tries this season and more linebreaks than anyone, 7th in run metres too.

No doubt his form has tailed off but to suggest he's had bad a season and is no longer a great winger is OTT.

23. Post
    Because of a few bad performances and out of form slightly, suddenly he's an awful wing.

He's still young and I still rate him as the best winger in the world.

24. Post
    I thought Julian's main issue was he got terribly out of shape?

25. Post
    jords wrote:
    I thought Julian's main issue was he got terribly out of shape?
    That and age. He also lost his speed, slowed waaaay down if you watched him in 2017 Super Rugby.

Most wingers lifespan lose out at peak 27 years plus, look at Joe Rokocoko, Doug Howlett, Julian Savea, Jonah Lomu and the list goes on...

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/new...ectid=11900326

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/black-winger-used-date/

Rieko however is still a young man at 22 years of age. He isn't even in his prime!