1. Post
    You also tend to lose your speed when you get out of shape and have a shit attitude towards training and maintaining your body.

We heard countless times about the effort the coaches were needing to go to in order to try to keep him engaged, motivated and on top of his fitness. If he was a self driven guy, he wouldn't have lost his spot so early. It's too easy to say it is an age thing for him. Unfortunately, it seems Ardie monopolised all the work ethic between them.

Ioane has two options, fast track down the Savea route, or put the work in and continue to be the best wing in the world.

The constant waves of talent we produce is a big factor as well though, shit Ioane is feeling that one already. Slip a bit and there's someone right there ready. It's what makes the guys who can log these long All Blacks careers so impressive regardless of position. Not only to play that many tests, but to hold off the internal competition for that long.
    Last edited by DOGZILLA; 19th August 2019 at 9:48 pm.

2. Post
    Wells man, not an insult or anything but I reckon you should be a sports writer.

You have a lot of knowledge and hindsight of sporting in general

3. Post
    How dare you say that.

4. Post
    Yeah, can't believe he said that.

5. Post
    Hansen is a good coach, but this coaching staff are hardly masterminds, as players Hansen was a plodding front row forward, Foster & Fox were pedantic 1st-fives that basically just passed & kicked the ball.

The obvious edge we have over all the other teams is our depth & on most occasions we have the best players in the world in the key positions.

Against Aussie in Auck we were always going to play with far more urgency & mongrel, but because they didn't change the forward pack too much from the game before we had better flow & continuity in the forwards which gave our backs a good platform to work from, also didn't overcomplicate things, everyone focused on their own role executing the simple things well.

6. Post
    signman wrote:
    Hansen is a good coach, but this coaching staff are hardly masterminds, as players Hansen was a plodding front row forward, Foster & Fox were pedantic 1st-fives that basically just passed & kicked the ball.
    Not even a little bit relevant.

7. Post
    Anyone apprehensive about Spark Sport?

8. Post
    It's worked perfect for me for the EPL so far. Their traffic will go through the roof for the WC though.

9. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    It's worked perfect for me for the EPL so far. Their traffic will go through the roof for the WC though.
    Isn't EPL in the middle of the night?

10. Post
    Just seems like i read about this all the time

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12259661

11. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Not even a little bit relevant.
    Disagree... vital a former player has the man management skills as a coach & if he was an inventive type of player too in his day that knowledge would definitely be a positive towards his coaching, the more insight a coach has the better.

12. Post
    brand wrote:
    Isn't EPL in the middle of the night?
    To be fair I have been watching it on demand I guess. Now that you mention it, some of the guys were getting shitty the other day when the Liverpool game kept cutting out or something.

13. Post
    signman wrote:
    Disagree... vital a former player has the man management skills as a coach & if he was an inventive type of player too in his day that knowledge would definitely be a positive towards his coaching, the more insight a coach has the better.
    Being good at man management has zero relevance to whether you were a good player or even a player at all.

Also you're talking about guys that played in a completely different era of the sport. It wasn't even a professional sport back then and the game has changed dramatically since then. It's apples and oranges.
    Last edited by WeenieBeenie; 20th August 2019 at 6:58 pm.

14. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Being good at man management has zero relevance to whether you were a good player or even a player at all.

Also you're talking about guys that played in a completely different era of the sport. It wasn't even a professional sport back then and the game has changed dramatically since then. It's apples and oranges.
    I'm not saying that man management has anything to do with whether you're a good player or not... just that man mangement is a vital part of coaching, but if you have those management skills it would also be a plus to have been an inventive player as well.

It's not really apples & oranges, yeah, the defensive systems are a lot different & the rules have changed at the breakdown etc... but it's still basically the same game where you try to dominate in the set pieces in scrums & lineouts & drag defences left & then right to create gaps, kick for position.

15. Post
    Lol look at all the top coaches in the world right now.

Gatland - 140 provincial games
    Schmidt - 29 provincial games
    Erasmus - 50 super rugby games, 36 tests
    Jones - 2 years of club rugby
    Joseph - 86 provincial games, 39 tests (10 for NZ Maori, 20 for ABs, 9 for Japan)
    Cheika - 300 club games, brief stints in France & Italy

Previous world cup winning coaches:

Graham Henry - club rugby
    Jake White - 1st XV school rugby
    Clive Woodward - 21 tests
    Kitch Christie - club rugby

16. Post
    Carlos for coach 2020, his inventiveness as a player makes him the ideal candidate over the likes of Henry and Hansen who were hardly masterminds.

****ing lol.

Smith might be the greatest Rugby brain to have come along, didn't exactly have the longest, most lustrious All Blacks career.

I think everyone else moved on long ago from the idea that good player = good coach.

17. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    Carlos for coach 2020, his inventiveness as a player makes him the ideal candidate over the likes of Henry and Hansen who were hardly masterminds.

****ing lol.

Smith might be the greatest Rugby brain to have come along, didn't exactly have the longest, most lustrious All Blacks career.

I think everyone else moved on long ago from the idea that good player = good coach.
    Try reading what I said properly, didn't say a good player = good coach, only have to see how useless Kirwan & Umaga were as head coaches... said it's vital for a coach to have man management skills & it would be a plus if they were an inventive player as well for that extra insight into the game.

Clearly this current coaching staff are not masterminds, other than having the best pool of players in the world to select from what brilliant game plans or tactics have they created ?

18. Post
    You tried to run down Fox and Foster because of their playing careers and determined they aren't masterminds because of their playing careers.

I think everyone is exhausted of having the same repeated conversations with you about things you don't understand. If you didn't absorb it the first 30 times, you probably aren't going to absorb it on the 31st.

If you think the success of this coaching regime is just down to the talent pool (which they helped develop even though you say they didn't even though you say part of coaching is developing players in classic signman can't keep track of his own arguments fashion) then you simply have no idea what you are talking about. I mean, we have the proof from pre the Henry establishment (and even during part of it) that simply having the talent pool is not enough.

Again, go have a ready of Legacy to get some actual insight into the types of things the coaching group from Henry on (and not just the head coaches) have instilled that have catapulted the team to this level instead of the group that were failing in the big moments repeatedly despite having a wealth of talent also. I'm sure you won't, but if you'd like to actually inform yourself, waddle on down to the library and check it out. It's pretty interesting stuff. It gives you insight into the importance of guys like Enoka as well who nobody talks about. As well as it being obvious you've never actually played Rugby (which given we're ridiculing Foster and Fox for not being masterminds because of their playing careers, that must make you a complete moron by your logic) it's also quite obvious you have no experience managing teams either.

If we look at the 2007 World Cup team, that team was ****ing stacked in depth and talent. But they crumbled. The work of the coaching regime to transform the All Blacks into what they are now from that point is pretty compelling. Is much more than herp derp we've got the most talent.

19. Post
    Todd Blackadder had some of the greatest players to ever play the game (McCaw and Carter) and never won a Super Rugby title in his several years as Crusaders coach, yet Scott Robertson has won it all 3 years he's been coaching them since, sans those great players.

Blackadder's predecessor Robbie Deans won 5 titles (including his last year as coach), and there was only one year during his 8 year tenure they didn't win the title or come second. So you need more than just good players to have that kind of winning record as a coach.

20. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    You tried to run down Fox and Foster because of their playing careers and determined they aren't masterminds because of their playing careers.

I think everyone is exhausted of having the same repeated conversations with you about things you don't understand. If you didn't absorb it the first 30 times, you probably aren't going to absorb it on the 31st.

If you think the success of this coaching regime is just down to the talent pool (which they helped develop even though you say they didn't even though you say part of coaching is developing players in classic signman can't keep track of his own arguments fashion) then you simply have no idea what you are talking about. I mean, we have the proof from pre the Henry establishment (and even during part of it) that simply having the talent pool is not enough.

Again, go have a ready of Legacy to get some actual insight into the types of things the coaching group from Henry on (and not just the head coaches) have instilled that have catapulted the team to this level instead of the group that were failing in the big moments repeatedly despite having a wealth of talent also. I'm sure you won't, but if you'd like to actually inform yourself, waddle on down to the library and check it out. It's pretty interesting stuff. It gives you insight into the importance of guys like Enoka as well who nobody talks about. As well as it being obvious you've never actually played Rugby (which given we're ridiculing Foster and Fox for not being masterminds because of their playing careers, that must make you a complete moron by your logic) it's also quite obvious you have no experience managing teams either.

If we look at the 2007 World Cup team, that team was ****ing stacked in depth and talent. But they crumbled. The work of the coaching regime to transform the All Blacks into what they are now from that point is pretty compelling. Is much more than herp derp we've got the most talent.
    You continually spout out a lot of rubbish, just make one or two points per post instead of writing a book.

Obviously it's more than just about talent, but clearly our talent makes a real diff though, clearly you also need a coach that can motivate, get the best out of each player, delegate, select the right starting 15 & bench, have a good game plan & tactics & always looking for smart ways to improve... what I'm basically saying though as mentioned, " what brilliant game plans or tactics have they created '' ?

21. Post
    Guys!

THREAD!

22. Post
    signman wrote:
    You continually spout out a lot of rubbish, just make one or two points per post instead of writing a book. ?
    Bro, you need to stop talking smack.

23. Post
    Fox may be underrated as a coach. Either that or he has been really good at picking his assignments. He has never been the main guy but he has been adjacent to a great deal of success.

24. Post
    signman wrote:
    You continually spout out a lot of rubbish, just make one or two points per post instead of writing a book.

Obviously it's more than just about talent, but clearly our talent makes a real diff though, clearly you also need a coach that can motivate, get the best out of each player, delegate, select the right starting 15 & bench, have a good game plan & tactics & always looking for smart ways to improve... what I'm basically saying though as mentioned, " what brilliant game plans or tactics have they created '' ?
    I'm not going to dumb myself down for you sorry.

Standard signman goalpost shifts. At least you're finally learning what these guys do, now maybe you can begin to start giving them credit for it.

25. Post
    " what brilliant game plans or tactics have they created '' ?

I dunno because I don't have the in depth knowledge of the game that they have but whatever game plans and tactics they use seem to work very well 87% of the time lol.

Can you give us an example of brilliant game plans or tactics other coaches that are so much better than Hansen & co have created?

Also I thought the only game plan needed was the traditional one?