Results 601 to 625 of 692

  1. Post
    shadowguy wrote:

    Also I thought the only game plan needed was the traditional one?
    Amazing!!! I can't believe you don't know the difference between tactics and game plans!

    What I was saying is that the traditional way of smashing the ball up through multiple phases to create space for your backs is the best way to play.

    Also it gives you a good platform for tactical kicks for territory. Something that BB is terrible at by the way. Mindless kicking is a waste of possession. You should always kick for territory but at the same time our players are best with the ball in hand so of course we should keep the ball in hand. But at the same time the traditional game plan is the best game plan. Not to be confused with tactics.

    Hansen and his assistants were either plodding forwards or average first fives that only played the traditional game plan of kicking for territory. Therefore they are good at man management but they'd be even better if they were inventive players. Of course I don't mean you have to be a good player to be a good coach.

  2. Post
    It's actually amazing how accurate of a representation of his posts that was.

  3. Post
    Often the greatest coaches in any sport are those that don't have a successful tenure as players and my worst fear of any coach is that they were successful as a player (about the only counter to this I can think off the top of my head is Johan Cruyff and even he didn't gain massive success as a coach)

    Bill Belichick is arguably the greatest NFL coach of all time, his highest honor was playing college football.
    Gregg Popovich never played at a level higher than college basketball but is again one of best coaches in the sport.
    Mike Hesson whilst not great never played domestic cricket but was arguably one of NZ's best coaches the Black Caps have had.
    Scotty Bowman is never played anything higher than minor league hockey but is one of the games greatest coaches.
    And in my mind the pièce de résistance is Alex Ferguson while enjoying relative success at Rangers as a player turned out to be one of the greatest minds football has ever seen.

    The point is it doesn't matter how good a player you are, being a coach is a totally different game and the skill set is completely different. The greatest coaches are often the greatest minds in the game able to analyse what needs to happen to be the best - all of those guys above were able to coach in a way that opposition coaches were often chasing the game. They often didn't have a perfect record (and in the case of Hesson not the best players), but they typically won the games that mattered (heck the Patriots are notoriously slow starters but once they get going you ain't stopping them)

    Did the last few weeks worry me as an AB's supporter, yeah it did. My partners family is South African and I went to the game at Westpac with him - he was happy with the draw. But his comment to me after the game haunted me the most, in that "The All Blacks at the world cup are going to have their shit together and if this is what they play like without their shit sorted, imagine when they get their shit sorted" (or words to those effect).

  4. Post
    Anyone able to suggest something like FanPass for Rugby World Cup?

    Willing to subscribe and pay for it. Looking at cheap options too, was looking at RugbyPass as my main option but I'm sure there are other alternatives that someone could recommend.

    Looking for an Australian network/broadcaster, currently in AU atm.

    Thanks.

  5. Post
    Why would you subject yourself to those Australian commentators, are you some kind of masochist??

    RugbyPass still don't have it listed in their schedule, so I might have to buy Spark's pass instead.

    EDIT: I just read that Sky bought RugbyPass for $62m last week, but it isn't going to change anything for rugby viewers here... might as well get one of their cheaper telemarketer deals then going forward, if the money is just going to be going to them anyway.
    Last edited by HELL KNIGHT; 21st August 2019 at 11:57 pm.

  6. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Why would you subject yourself to those Australian commentators, are you some kind of masochist??

    RugbyPass still don't have it listed in their schedule, so I might have to buy Spark's pass instead.

    EDIT: I just read that Sky bought RugbyPass for $62m last week, but it isn't going to change anything for rugby viewers here... might as well get one of their cheaper telemarketer deals then going forward, if the money is just going to be going to them anyway.
    Looking for anything ****ing cheap even if it's with Australian broadcasters/network lol

    Ye might go with RugbyPass - $4.99 USD weekly

  7. Post
    On another note in regards to Sky, they've really stepped up their game since the new CEO has taken over. 9 dedicated channels now + ESPN or whatever it is. All the RWC warm up matches have been televised as well as Pacific Nations Cup, Shute Shield, all sorts of shit. The dedicated spider cam channel for the ABs game was pretty awesome too.

  8. Post
    Yea i really need to look at all the options for the games.

  9. Post
    yeah i am gonna wait till the last minute before deciding, i already ditched Spark Fibre for the Slingshot deal already , if nto might just add the sky pass and then watch the important games on TV 1.

  10. Post
    shadowguy wrote:
    " what brilliant game plans or tactics have they created '' ?

    I dunno because I don't have the in depth knowledge of the game that they have but whatever game plans and tactics they use seem to work very well 87% of the time lol.

    Can you give us an example of brilliant game plans or tactics other coaches that are so much better than Hansen & co have created?

    Also I thought the only game plan needed was the traditional one?
    You & a few others on here basically give the same dumb answer as you mentioned "I dunno because I don't have the in depth knowledge of the game that they have but whatever game plans and tactics they use seem to work " can't you blokes think for yourselves ??? apparently not.

    Fact is you can't create any new master plans or tactics as it's all been done before & you'd have to very naive if you think this coaching staff are holding back that's going to make a real difference at the RWC, all hansen has up his sleeve is his arm ... the ABs played really well in there last match because they didn't **** around too much with the team, didn't overcomplicate stuff, did the basics well at pace.

  11. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Todd Blackadder had some of the greatest players to ever play the game (McCaw and Carter) and never won a Super Rugby title in his several years as Crusaders coach, yet Scott Robertson has won it all 3 years he's been coaching them since, sans those great players.

    Blackadder's predecessor Robbie Deans won 5 titles (including his last year as coach), and there was only one year during his 8 year tenure they didn't win the title or come second. So you need more than just good players to have that kind of winning record as a coach.
    Totally agree... it's a combo of the talent you have to select from and a good coach... like with the Canes, Boyd made a big diff when he took over from Hammett using basically the same squad.

    As said before Razor should be the AB head coach after the WC, he has all the skills that a good coach needs, whenever Crusaders players mention him they always say what huge respect they have for the bloke, if we win the WC the big worry for me is that they'll give the job to Foster, which would be a really poor choice.

  12. Post
    jords wrote:
    Anyone apprehensive about Spark Sport?
    A little, but everyone in the country will be streaming the same content so assumably there will be some extremely efficient content delivery tricks going on

  13. Post
    trackers wrote:
    A little, but everyone in the country will be streaming the same content so assumably there will be some extremely efficient content delivery tricks going on
    They better be ready -it is almost guaranteed that some script kiddy will try to DDOS the service...

  14. Post
    How does it work for bars who want to show the game? Do they have to buy a different package?

    It's going to be interesting to see how it all goes. I'm working in a town at the moment that has rubbish internet generally. How are they gonna go trying to stream the games? I think some parts of the country are ready for this change but others aren't.

  15. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    How does it work for bars who want to show the game? Do they have to buy a different package?

    It's going to be interesting to see how it all goes. I'm working in a town at the moment that has rubbish internet generally. How are they gonna go trying to stream the games? I think some parts of the country are ready for this change but others aren't.
    Spark did a deal with Sky to show it through existing Sky decoders in bars.

  16. Post
    signman wrote:
    You & a few others on here basically give the same dumb answer as you mentioned "I dunno because I don't have the in depth knowledge of the game that they have but whatever game plans and tactics they use seem to work " can't you blokes think for yourselves ??? apparently not.

    Fact is you can't create any new master plans or tactics as it's all been done before & you'd have to very naive if you think this coaching staff are holding back that's going to make a real difference at the RWC, all hansen has up his sleeve is his arm ... the ABs played really well in there last match because they didn't **** around too much with the team, didn't overcomplicate stuff, did the basics well at pace.
    If it's a "fact" that you can't create new master plans or tactics, then it's unreasonable to hold it against people that they can't do something that is "factually" impossible to do.

    Eddie Jones thinks we are holding back, is he naive?

  17. Post
    signman wrote:
    You & a few others on here basically give the same dumb answer as you mentioned "I dunno because I don't have the in depth knowledge of the game that they have but whatever game plans and tactics they use seem to work " can't you blokes think for yourselves ??? apparently not.
    Yes I can think for myself and I can admit I don't have the knowledge to analyse a game from my couch. I consider my knowledge of teams pretty good i.e who I think might win and such but I'm not going to pretend I know anything about the intricate details of the game. I have no idea what gameplan the ABs or any other team are using. However I can see and understand the finished product just as I can use my phone but have no understanding of the underlying code that makes it work.

  18. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    If it's a "fact" that you can't create new master plans or tactics, then it's unreasonable to hold it against people that they can't do something that is "factually" impossible to do.
    A classic self uppercut from simple signman.

  19. Post
    jords wrote:
    Anyone apprehensive about Spark Sport?
    Definitly, seems they dropped the frame rate recently and now its garbage.. will find other means to watch unless that is fixed.. Frame rate was my main gripe with fanpass, but apparently they fixed it last week with an update?

  20. Post
    brahs, signman, write down TL;DR's majority of us cbf reading that whole wall of text.

  21. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    If it's a "fact" that you can't create new master plans or tactics, then it's unreasonable to hold it against people that they can't do something that is "factually" impossible to do.

    Eddie Jones thinks we are holding back, is he naive?
    Said ages ago though you can't create a new game plan or tactics, has been tried plenty of times but they always go back to the old ways which always works the best, Hansen has tried his new game plan for over a year so it's hardly surprising it hasn't worked.

    Honestly what can they hold back that's going to make a big difference ? it's only possible to make subtle changes.

    Jones normally makes really stupid comments in his interviews after matches especially when his team gets beaten, so was good to see that wasn't the case in those 2 tests.

  22. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    A classic self uppercut from simple signman.
    Hilarious, this coming from a clown that hasn't really added much value to the rugby thread in terms of insight, but have to say you're very good at moaning

  23. Post
    signman wrote:
    Said ages ago though you can't create a new game plan or tactics, has been tried plenty of times but they always go back to the old ways which always works the best, Hansen has tried his new game plan for over a year so it's hardly surprising it hasn't worked.

    Honestly what can they hold back that's going to make a big difference ? it's only possible to make subtle changes.

    Jones normally makes really stupid comments in his interviews after matches especially when his team gets beaten, so was good to see that wasn't the case in those 2 tests.
    Hansen's record pretty clearly illustrates that what he does works though so...

    This is the bit where you'll be like what has Hansen done differently, even though you say when he tries different things it doesn't work, even though it isn't possible to try different things, even though he doesn't do anything different, but he does things differently and it doesn't work and it only works when he reverts back to the old gameplan, but he doesn't do anything differently because his coaching group isn't a mastermind.

    Thinking you can't hold anything back only reinforces that you haven't actually played Rugby before. Gameplans, moves, how you're going to approach the game, these are all things that you can hold back.

    Is Jones naive?

  24. Post
    shadowguy wrote:
    Yes I can think for myself and I can admit I don't have the knowledge to analyse a game from my couch. I consider my knowledge of teams pretty good i.e who I think might win and such but I'm not going to pretend I know anything about the intricate details of the game. I have no idea what gameplan the ABs or any other team are using. However I can see and understand the finished product just as I can use my phone but have no understanding of the underlying code that makes it work.
    Fact is the old game plan & tactics are the best to use, if there were better methods every teams would be using them, what it comes down to is when you have the ball it's how well you execute & use the possession, only had to watch the Aussies in the 1st test & the ABs in the 2nd one.

  25. Post
    signman wrote:
    Hilarious, this coming from a clown that hasn't really added much value to the rugby thread in terms of insight, but have to say you're very good at moaning
    The irony of you telling someone they're good at moaning.

    You're the standard whining old man couch coach. You piss and moan constantly.

    I'd hate to see what you're like when the All Blacks inevitably fall off because in the greatest era of success in Rugby history you still moan constantly.

    You continually call people out for offering insight in the thread, but your extent of insight is talking about Rugby at this most basic, fundamental level. The reality is your insight is ultimately **** all and anytime a conversation goes beyond your very simple brain you just call people clowns or dismiss it as rubbish because it goes beyond your comprehension.

    INB4 "Wow more rubbish" and whatever next lame personal insult you come up with.

    It is really a testament to how much of an imbecile you are that I've managed to continue to extract enjoyment from toying with you and repeatedly embarrassing you for so long. Every time I think I'm about to reach the limit of enjoying it, you ascend to another level of stupidness and reinvigorate it for me.