Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

Chorus, you bastards

Firstly, I've had fibre installed twice in my last two homes and it happened ultra fast, was completed within a couple of weeks of requesting. Then this...

December 2018
    - Bought a house in Meadowbank, move in date at start of Feb
    - Contacted Spark, told them I'm moving, arranged to have the fibre installed the day after the move. Asked them if I would need consent for the house behind us but they said no, even though we have a shared driveway - it counts as a stand alone install as it should not affect them.

February 2019
    - No one turns up
    - Ring Spark... no record of job, seems Chorus cancelled it because they turned up early without any notification and since no one at the house knew what they were talking about, they just remove the whole job - Spark then cancelled the request without any communication to me
    - Log a brand new job, fall into the queue, install expected start of March

March 2019
    - No one turns up
    - Contact Spark... Chorus advises we need consent from the house behind us. I angrily tell them I asked about this previously to which they said they have no record of (cause it's a new job).
    - I get consent from our neighbour, 2 weeks go by and it still saying "consent needed" on the fibre tracker. Contact Spark, they contact Chorus who book in the job for April.

April 2019
    - Chorus turns up, has a quick look around and realises that the drop off point is on the wrong side of our driveway - so consent is needed
    - I tell them we already have consent, they say yes but not for the specific work to the driveway which will mean raising cobblestones - wut
    - Chorus completes the internal install (ONT) and leaves the external cable sticking out of the house, ready for connection once the cable has been laid under the cobblestones

- 4 weeks of radio silence go by

May 2019
    - Chorus finally sends photos etc of their plan so I can get consent from the neighbours, I contact Spark and ask how I should do this since I've already done the consent process.
    - Spark says consent is not needed for this install as it is considered a stand alone house even with the driveway change......... I basically explode... they contact Chorus, Chorus confirms that consent is not needed and has never been needed to proceed - what in the actual fk
    - They book the job in to happen asap
    - Chorus turns up to do the job and decides it's too hard, says it would be easier to add a drop point to the other side of the driveway - begins digging a hole.
    - Chorus gets to 1.5m and says they are not allowed to go deeper, will need to contact his field manager
    - Field manager calls him and says stick to the original plan, he lets me know he will do the cobblestone lifting instead but will come back as its getting late

- 4 weeks of radio silence go by

June 2019
    - Chorus never returned, but somewhere along the line must have turned up and filled in their hole
    - I ring Spark and yell at them... and send them the cobblestone plan, they say it looks really easy, cant understand why its not done yet
    - Spark logs a complaint with Chorus

- 2 weeks of radio silence go by

Here's where it gets interesting
    - I write to our MP, with my story - he agrees it's bullshit and contacts the Communications minister
    - Faafoi contacts Spark and Chorus
    - Spark calls me to say they have been contacted by the Comms minister and will be in contact with me every day until its sorted (they keep true to their word)
    - MP contacts me and says I should expect a call shortly from Chorus with an apology and an estimate to resolution
    - Chorus never contact me, I let the MP know and he takes it back to Faafoi
    - One week goes by, Chorus turn up on the weekend (never contacted me) and work through the weekend to dig deeper and add a new drop point (guess lifting the cobblestones was canned again)
    - Chorus schedules the completion of the connection from the drop off to the ONT for August... FFFUUUUUU
    - I contact Spark, they agree that's rubbish, two days pass and I get a call that it will happen July 9th instead

Will my ordeal be over in 5 days?

Total emails/calls with Spark: 22
    Total calls with Chrous: 8
    Total emails/calls with the MP: 10
    Total months passed since first logging fibre request: 7
    Total apologies from Chorus: 0

2. Post
    Jesus - but this is what happens when Chorus hires anyone they can and pays them peanuts due to the demand for fiber.

3. Post
    Sounds about right - when we had ours installed, I tried making conversation with the workers, they couldn't understand English.

Took 7 months from date of application to install completion

4. Post
    Reminds me of the time a contractor next door to us put a digger through my fibre, and chorus tried to charge me the $2000 repair bill. Ignored it until it went away...

5. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Sounds about right - when we had ours installed, I tried making conversation with the workers, they couldn't understand English.
    This is the issue I had with a rental I was in a little while ago. Landlord had already had a plan drawn up with Chorus as he put in a new driveway, even had a conduit put in so Chorus didn't have to dig up anything. Under the house was super clean and had places where the cable could be run up inside a closet.

2 non-English speaking techs turn up and decide that digging up the lawn, running the cable up the side of the house, drilling a hole in the side of the house and dropping the cable through through the roof would be the best idea. I ran out and told them to stop and to leave.

6. Post
    This makes me so glad to live in Wellington with all the aerial cabling.

7. Post
    took over a year for me, apparently there was an assault when it was being done and they could not continue until after the court case

8. Post
    Gerter wrote:
    Reminds me of the time a contractor next door to us put a digger through my fibre, and chorus tried to charge me the $2000 repair bill. Ignored it until it went away...
    Sounds reasonable, they would charge you, you claim insurance, the insurance company chases the contractor.

9. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Sounds reasonable, they would charge you, you claim insurance, the insurance company chases the contractor.
    Well it was Chorus's fault really, they laid my fibre slightly through the property next door (was a new development). Though there were markings for boundaries.

10. Post
    Gerter wrote:
    Well it was Chorus's fault really, they laid my fibre slightly through the property next door (was a new development). Though there were markings for boundaries.

LOL, that makes a big difference!

11. Post
    Lol yeah, guess I should have mentioned that part

12. Post
    Took nearly 2 years to get it installed for me. Eventually I was told to just wait for that new law to come into effect then one day my neighbours (the ones who had been denying me fibre from day 1 suddenly decide they want it now and they get it installed, I notice the Chorus contractors outside my window one morning ( In early 2018 ) putting a cable along the fence, thinking they're here to finally do my install. Give ISP and Chorus a call find it its the neighbours install, the contractors leave without setting us up but they do set us up outside so all that needed to be done was to install the ONT I still had a couple of months of phoning my ISP from this point trying to explain what had happened and that I basically just needed an ONT they didn't believe me until they came around and saw what the previous contractors had done) I had been going back and forth with my ISP and Chorus from about mid-late 2016 through March 2018 (when I finally had it installed) it was ridiculous.

13. Post
    Valeyard, why where they being dicks and denying you the install?

14. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    Valeyard, why where they being dicks and denying you the install?
    Im not sure but I think it was their landlord. Probably didnt want the garden dug up or something not sure what changed their minds.

15. Post
    classic landlord bullshit, so detached from reality.

16. Post
    And... I have fibre. Praise be to tech jesus.

-e-
    Spark gave me $150 credit for the ordeal, kudos to them - still not even an apology from Chorus.
    Last edited by pyronical; 10th July 2019 at 12:36 pm.

17. Post
    Anyone know if there is a way around this:

"Chorus advised that, unfortunately, the Fibre order has been cancelled as there was no response on consents. This means that no orders for Fibre are able to be placed as Chorus does not have permission to install Fibre at your address.
    We're sorry that we're unable to get you connected.
    If you would like to go ahead with Fibre, we would need to pass evidence onto Chorus that all consents have been gained prior to us placing another order.
    Let us know if you have any questions. "

I thought they can just run them up the fence now, why would they need consent for that?

18. Post
    Weird I thought they were doing the install unless someone specifically said no now

19. Post
    Single dwelling or multi dwelling?

If the latter then they require consent, depending on the classification of the install usually implied consent is fine (if no one responds to the consent request, then its implied and Chorus can proceed)

20. Post
    This thread reminds me of what I'm going through as well. Chorus has put the wire in the completely wrong space. Been battling with them since October last year to relocate it in the right space where they marked out some outline before settling on the easy spot. 2degrees has come back to us saying they've tried their best, so basically I'll have to pay out of my own pocket to relocate it or just get them to thread it through the whole house. I think the contractors that do the digging and laying the wire are completely useless at reading plans.

21. Post
    defiant wrote:
    Single dwelling or multi dwelling?

If the latter then they require consent, depending on the classification of the install usually implied consent is fine (if no one responds to the consent request, then its implied and Chorus can proceed)
    This? If it is multi dwelling, have you spoken to your neighbours? I printed the forms, took them to each, explained what was happening, what the benefit to them was for the future and posted them all in with my forms.

I am surprised that a simple conversation wasn't had in a lot of these cases where the neighbour objects.

Also when I did mine 15 days with no communication from the neighbours was implied consent.

22. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    And... I have fibre. Praise be to tech jesus.

-e-
    Spark gave me $150 credit for the ordeal, kudos to them - still not even an apology from Chorus.
    Nice. But damn. About a month into that ordeal I would've been asking Spark for free 4G compensation to cover you until the shit gets installed.

Then again I guess you probably already had VDSL setup.

23. Post
    yeah the contractors i got for my new place were guys from Mumbai , they were like ohh ahh around until i came out with some beer and spoke to them a little in Marathi ( lived for 9 months there on contract ) . Boom, trenching was done , wiring done and connection done in under 2 hours. Only cost me some Singha beer and some luck . /shrug.

24. Post
    Mofo chorus started rolling out fibre on the other end of street than my end street... now stopped after 10 houses. Don't see them anymore after 10 houses rolled.... piece of shiet lazy mofos

25. Post
    N30 wrote:
    Mofo chorus started rolling out fibre on the other end of street than my end street... now stopped after 10 houses. Don't see them anymore after 10 houses rolled.... piece of shiet lazy mofos
    Did you actually see the roll out plan for your street, were they meant to do the whole street on the plan or do you assume that the Chorus workers just do the work they want to?