Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    Something you guys need to remember: single Chorus technicians are doing the job that used to be split across 5 different employees.

To install a connection at a new place, there used to be one guy to install the jacks, one to install the line, one for quality testing, one at the Exchange they could ring up to change plugs and whatnot, and one at head office to do further testing. Now all that is scrapped, and the installer does everything on his own. He can't just call someone to make a change at the exchange anymore. He's gotta hop into his van and drive down to it and do it himself. Then he's gotta go all the way back to test that it was done correctly. If an installer screwed up labelling the lines then he's stuck going back and forth doing it all himself.

Yes, there are incompetent technicians. But Chorus management themselves are also to blame for lumping more and more responsibility onto single employees.

2. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Yes, there are incompetent technicians. But Chorus management themselves are also to blame for lumping more and more responsibility onto single employees.
    Pretty much this. Chorus management inherited the worst possible traits from Telecom management and have absolutely run the service into the ground for making a buck.

3. Post
    Also while they may have Chorus on their van's they're probably subcontracted several times down and paid **** all

4. Post
    I've had fibre installed maybe 4 or 5 times, all through Ultrafast Fibre as opposed to Chorus. All except one took around a month from the intial phone call and the only one that took longer was due to it being in a block of units and needing a whole infrastructure set up for the properties. Regardless, it was still relatively painless, just took a wee while.

So glad I don't have to deal with Chorus. What a pack of clowns.

5. Post
    Well shit, now I've got Chorus issues.

They're saying there is no FTP on the pole outside my house despite the house below us having their fibre connection coming off there.
    Have to wait about a month for that to be resolved.

#justchorusthings.

6. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    Have to wait about a month for that to be resolved.
    That's chorus speak for 7 months, fyi.

7. Post
    Moved into a new build. Chorus installed ONT. Got bigpipe. Plugged in router. no internet. messaged bigpipe to check connection, they said its all good. Turns our they had not setup the connection properly. **** you chorus. went two days without internets!

8. Post
    Rii wrote:
    Jesus - but this is what happens when Chorus hires anyone they can and pays them peanuts due to the demand for fiber.
    - Contacted Spark, told them I'm moving, arranged to have filezilla uc browser rufus the fibre installed the day after the move. Asked them if I would need consent for the house behind us but they said no, even though we have a shared driveway - it counts as a stand alone install as it should not affect them.
    Last edited by PARADI; 13th August 2019 at 8:16 am.

9. Post
    Chorus got me good over the week. Got a call from a tech who was apparently outside my house ready to install - and of course I had no clue about this since last I knew it was meant to to be the 23rd. Couldn't get back home and there was someone's car blocking access to the pole anyway so was a shit show.

Supposedly he'll be coming back on Monday so all I've got to do is make sure I can block the pole with my car so we can get access.

Just chorus things...

10. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    And... I have fibre. Praise be to tech jesus.

-e-
    Spark gave me $150 credit for the ordeal, kudos to them - still not even an apology from Chorus.
    $150 credit for 8 month wait? that is total BS. The techie told me that your ISP (in this case Spark) gets some compensation in the contract if it is not installed in certain days due to lost income... you have been shortchanged mate..

11. Post
    pyronical wrote:
    And... I have fibre. Praise be to tech jesus.

-e-
    Spark gave me $150 credit for the ordeal, kudos to them - still not even an apology from Chorus.
    teelo7 wrote:
    Something you guys need to remember: single Chorus technicians are doing the job that used to be split across 5 different employees.

To install a connection at a new place, there used to be one guy to install the jacks, one to install the line, one for quality testing, one at the Exchange they could ring up to change plugs and whatnot, and one at head office to do further testing. Now all that is scrapped, and the installer does everything on his own. He can't just call someone to make a change at the exchange anymore. He's gotta hop into his van and drive down to it and do it himself. Then he's gotta go all the way back to test that it was done correctly. If an installer screwed up labelling the lines then he's stuck going back and forth doing it all himself.

From my understanding, they are not even CHorus employees... they are a contractor of Visionstream..

12. Post
    Chorus kicked my dog, now he has cancer. F U chorus.

13. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    To install a connection at a new place, there used to be one guy to install the jacks, one to install the line, one for quality testing, one at the Exchange they could ring up to change plugs and whatnot, and one at head office to do further testing.
    Yeah because it's still the 1980s and we're all on dial up circuits!

14. Post
    What are you on about Vulcan?

15. Post
    fatesjester wrote:
    What are you on about Vulcan?
    Because the network doesn't look like what he described any more?

16. Post
    Vulcan wrote:
    Because the network doesn't look like what he described any more?
    Haha, so much this. Hell, even the PSTN Exchanges are slowly being decommissioned.