1. Post

Rumor: PlayStation bidding for Remedy

A few days ago Sony's Jim Ryan confirmed that Sony was considering the acquisition of more game development studios.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...o-acquisitions

Now we got a new rumor that suggests Sony/Playstation are interested in acquiring Remedy.

Best known for Max Payne but more popular in recent years for its work on Xbox exclusives like Quantum Break, Finnish developer Remedy has since broken away from Microsoft, bringing its next project Control to multiple platforms, including the PS4. Curiously, Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida visited the studio recently, while it’s been touring various first-party outfits like Naughty Dog. We’ve also heard from a number of sources that Sony is lining up a bid, although the company’s recent reacquisition of the Alan Wake brand casts some doubt on that speculation
    http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/...ically_acquire

2. Post
    Alan Wake 2 PS5 exclusive, sure I'm good with that

3. Post
    Yeah i'd be down for another Alan Wake

4. Post
    ****ers better not, they've only just started launching their games properly on PC.

I mean, I'd survive, but c'mon.

5. Post
    Ughh let's stay away from exclusivity.

6. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Ughh let's stay away from exclusivity.
    Exclusivity increases competition though - if all games are on the same system, then everyone will just buy the best system, the others die and then yay we have a monopoly on gaming

7. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Exclusivity increases competition though - if all games are on the same system, then everyone will just buy the best system, the others die and then yay we have a monopoly on gaming
    Since when does it increase competition? If spiderman was on both consoles it would have sold considerably more copies....

8. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Since when does it increase competition? If spiderman was on both consoles it would have sold considerably more copies....
    (I will begrudgingly admit that) he's right, games are what sell consoles. Non-gamer casuals were buying PS4s just for Spider-man, it sold 10 million copies IIRC. (Hell, I bought a Spider-man branded PS4 Pro console.) Normally only the broadest appeal multi-platform games like FIFA and CoD see sales numbers like that. Microsoft is doing the exact same thing except they're hoping that people will sub to Xbox Game Pass and/or XCloud to play their first party exclusives vs. just buying a console. It's no different than Netflix and Amazon Prime Video producing original content to entice subscriptions to their video streaming services.

As someone who plays primarily on PC I don't like moves like this. Frankly I'd rather see Epic buying up developers, since at least they'll still release games onto PC.

9. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    (I will begrudgingly admit that) he's right, games are what sell consoles. Non-gamer casuals were buying PS4s just for Spider-man, it sold 10 million copies IIRC. (Hell, I bought a Spider-man branded PS4 Pro console.) Normally only the broadest appeal multi-platform games like FIFA and CoD see sales numbers like that. Microsoft is doing the exact same thing except they're hoping that people will sub to Xbox Game Pass and/or XCloud to play their first party exclusives vs. just buying a console. It's no different than Netflix and Amazon Prime Video producing original content to entice subscriptions to their video streaming services.

As someone who plays primarily on PC I don't like moves like this. Frankly I'd rather see Epic buying up developers, since at least they'll still release games onto PC.
    Who's to say that being a multiplatform game wouldn't increase sales? If red dead 2 was PS4 only it wouldn't have sold as well as it did and that's a fact.

10. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Who's to say that being a multiplatform game wouldn't increase sales? If red dead 2 was PS4 only it wouldn't have sold as well as it did and that's a fact.
    Then people would have bought the game AND a PS4. Win Win for Sony

I have a friend who is purely PC Master Race, but bought a PS4 just for TLoU, and has no other games. The only other game he's going to play on it is TLoU 2

11. Post
    EvaUnit02 wrote:
    games are what sell consoles..
    Exactly, hence one of the main reasons PS is crushing Xbox this gen. No ones gonna buy a console for Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 or Crackdown 3 There's just no reason to own an Xbox especially if you have a gaming PC.

12. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Exactly, hence one of the main reasons PS is crushing Xbox this gen. No ones gonna buy a console for Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 or Crackdown 3 There's just no reason to own an Xbox especially if you have a gaming PC.
    Why on earth would you want to piss around with a PC?

13. Post
    ludez wrote:
    They absolutely would sell more as multi-platform. First party games are made a loss typically. Spend money to make money. I.e. just like Amazon investing in a huge budget series like LotR to draw ppl to the Prime Video.

Pennywiser NZ wrote:
    Why on earth would you want to piss around with a PC?
    A lot of your vocal Xbox fanboy brethren on social media are jumping over to PC, brah.

14. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Bruh surely you can't be that naive? If someone doesn't play ps exclusives then is there any reason owning a PS4?

15. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Bruh surely you can't be that naive? If someone doesn't play ps exclusives then is there any reason owning a PS4?
    I mean it goes both ways dude i could just as easily say.

Bruh surely you can't be that naive? If someone doesn't play Ms exclusives then is there any reason owning a Xbox?

Exclusives might not sell as much as third party games but they make up for it through console sales. The reason I bought a xbox in 2014 was for Halo.

16. Post
    It's kinda weird the way Microsoft is going with their "exclusives". They'd bound to get more $ going towards the PC and console market at the same time. But it's making me edge more towards the PS5 and skip the next Xbox when it comes out.

Should be interesting to see if Remedy does go towards Sony or not or just stay Multi Platform.

17. Post
    Valeyard wrote:
    I mean it goes both ways dude i could just as easily say.

Bruh surely you can't be that naive? If someone doesn't play Ms exclusives then is there any reason owning a Xbox?

Exclusives might not sell as much as third party games but they make up for it through console sales. The reason I bought a xbox in 2014 was for Halo.
    Exactly and that's the point.......

18. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Obviously a lot of people do want to play PS exclusives which is one of the main reasons PS4 is so far ahead but if you don't care then yeah just stick to XBox or PC. Sales numbers suggest the majority of people do care though.

MS shot themselves in the foot releasing the few exclusives they have on PC as well. Most people choose PS4 over Xbone because you get the best of both worlds - high quality exclusives & multiplats. With Xbox you get the same old Halo, Gears & Forza some other shitty exclusives & multiplats.

The OneX is the most powerful console but have they released any exclusives that fully utilize its power? Didn't it launch with Super Lucky's Tales lol?

19. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Obviously a lot of people do want to play PS exclusives which is one of the main reasons PS4 is so far ahead but if you don't care then yeah just stick to XBox or PC. Sales numbers suggest the majority of people do care though.

MS shot themselves in the foot releasing the few exclusives they have on PC as well. Most people choose PS4 over Xbone because you get the best of both worlds - high quality exclusives & multiplats. With Xbox you get the same old Halo, Gears & Forza some other shitty exclusives & multiplats.

The OneX is the most powerful console but have they released any exclusives that fully utilize its power? Didn't it launch with Super Lucky's Tales lol?
    Again though exclusives just don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Want the best possible graphics on console buy n one x and play multiplatform games. Want a subscription based game service buy xbox

Want exclusives buy a PS4, want bigger player base of some games, buy PS4.

Want the best experience of everything buy a PC. PC is the best experience hands down

20. Post
    Guerilla games just posted job advertisements for next gen ps5 exclusive game in development

21. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    MS started releasing games again on PC IN RESPONSE to the consoles bombing. (It's part of it. Focusing on multi-platform releases and streaming services brings Xbox in-line with other MS businesses like Office 365.)

SirGrim wrote:
    Guerilla games just posted job advertisements for next gen ps5 exclusive game in development
    Christ, I hope that they aren't doing more Killzone. It has been rumoured already.

22. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:

How did they shoot themselves in the foot? If people buy the game on PC, Microsoft still get money.

23. Post
    Valeo wrote:
    How did they shoot themselves in the foot? If people buy the game on PC, Microsoft still get money.
    Yeah true MS do still get the money but I meant when it comes to actually selling consoles. The majority of people don't wanna game on PC though & in most cases they just end up getting a PS4 instead.

24. Post
    Ins0mn1ac wrote:
    Yeah true MS do still get the money but I meant when it comes to actually selling consoles. The majority of people don't wanna game on PC though & in most cases they just end up getting a PS4 instead.
    Xbox mainly makes their bread through online services. MS' Xbox division is quite profitable.
    Microsoft Reaches $10 Billion In Gaming Revenue For the Year
    Xbox Live lifts Microsoft's Q3 Gaming revenue by 4%
    Console sales are inconsequential.