1. Post

Fibre Pro "Giga" plans - what real world speed should I be getting?

Hi everyone,

Chorus just installed fibre for us today.

We got one of the new model ONTs - not sure if they are better or not but they do stick out much more from the wall than the old ones.

Anyway I immediately grab the ISP supplied modem (to avoid the ISP blaming problems on anything else), plug it into the ONT, and then get a CAT5e cable to plug into a laptop (has an ethernet port and an i5 5th generation processor so I'm guessing it is surely gigabit ethernet port?).

I jump onto Speedtest and pray for 700+ but instead I get around 200-300 up and down.

I get on the phone and the ISP tells me that they have me connecting at 900/500 and don't see any issues that should be happening.

They suggest using the modem's internal speed test function that they built it - voila! It tells me that I'm at 9xx/4xx - but I can't tell whether it's just bullshitting me.

They also tell me to try linetest.nz - on that I'm hitting 500/300.

Is this just "real world" or is there something going on here? I've tried another laptop and got similar results.

Thanks in advance.

2. Post
    900/500 is what you can expect, or roughly expect locally, the second you go overseas its significantly lower. Things like steams cache network will improve speeds but if you're trying to download from a random webserver on the other side of the world i really wouldn't expect more than 100-200mbit down.

You can try something like https://fast.com/

I'm on 900/500 (in wellington) and get:

Steam can be up to 80MB/s+ (note the MB/s not mbit/s) but it can also vary a lot too.

3. Post
    Good info - I'm still struggling to get above 500 down but strangely the up is about as good as advertised.

Also my WiFi devices have really poor down (around 60-80) compared to decent up (200-300) - so strange...

4. Post

5. Post
    Use the windows Speedtest app not the browser, test at off peak times to eliminate congestion, if you want absolute certainty test straight from the ONT.

if you hit close to your gig speeds at any point (isp router or ONT) then you are correctly provisioned and any issues are more then likely with your setup.

Wifi - depending on the router and the wireless frequency you’re using it could be anything like interference with your neighbours wifi, try changing to a less congested channel, I use a dedicated AP and have switched off WLAN and wifi jumped significantly, 400-500Mbps over 5ghz.

6. Post
    How do I test straight from the ONT?

7. Post
    Last time I did it I mimicked my router through my PC, if you think going this route is too hard then I wouldn’t worry, if you can hit close to your provisioned speed via a router then I’d say your speed is correct.

8. Post
    Like so - not bad for 30 meters of cat6 after the ONT

Name:  8405358007.png
Views: 176
Size:  20.5 KB

GenericUSERNAME wrote:
    Use the windows Speedtest app not the browser, test at off peak times to eliminate congestion, if you want absolute certainty test straight from the ONT.

if you hit close to your gig speeds at any point (isp router or ONT) then you are correctly provisioned and any issues are more then likely with your setup.

Wifi - depending on the router and the wireless frequency you’re using it could be anything like interference with your neighbours wifi, try changing to a less congested channel, I use a dedicated AP and have switched off WLAN and wifi jumped significantly, 400-500Mbps over 5ghz.
    I used to get 200Mbps over 5ghz wifi - then one day I found a setting in the router called data logging. As soon as I turned that off, wifi jumped too 500Mbps. For 2 weeks prior to this, it was doing my head in and I couldn't figure out why it was so slow

futsal wrote:
    How do I test straight from the ONT?
    Isn't that what you ISP did anyway when they told you your connection to them is 900/500?
    What router are you using? If it's Netgear, disable the data logging function.
    What model laptop are you using? The ethernet port speed there depends on the chip on the mobo. Can you test anything else?

9. Post
    The 900/500 was reported by the Slingshot supplied modem. That 900/500 is reported by the modem's internal function (unsure whether I can believe it?)

But I want to use a Fritzbox 7490. When I use that it doesn't have a firmware feature that tests speed so I just plug a computer in by Ethernet to the Fritz.

To be fair - when I plug a computer into the Slingshot modem that also only gets 300-500/300-400 if using the same testing methodology as I used for the Fritzbox.

10. Post
    Ok the Slingshot modem is still reporting 950/490, but the best I can get in Speedtest to Christchurch is around 500/400.

Fast.com is showing 500-700/400 (max).

Is this as good as it gets? I am not expecting day to day to get 900/500 but I'm seeing people here post speedtests of 900/500 so naturally thought I would be able to get around the same if plugged in by ethernet with nothing else accessing the internet.

Anything else that could be the cause of this or is this "normal"?

11. Post
    With ADSL distance do the exchange was a huge factor for real life speed but I’m not sure what would cause slow fibre speeds.
    I’ve never had a speedtest under 900 down and lowest up I’ve had was 350.

Speeds could change on time of day and who your isp is