1. Post
    I fell asleep when they had like a 100 or so left to go, can someone give me a tldr version of what happened?

2. Post
    Both teams got 241 runs. Went to super over because wickets don't matter anymore. Both score the same runs in the super over. England won because they hit more boundaries.

ICC only cares about batting it seems.

3. Post
    D/L is a stupid way to decide things too but at least that takes into account runs and wickets etc when it tries to come up with a thing, you know... the main aspects of the sport not just 1 never really counted 'important' to anything before one.

How are boundaries anywhere near the top of that deciding list??

Just play another over or share the f**king thing.

Why is batting classed as the deciding factor in this case?

We had it, lost it, had it, lost it so many times over. Really hard to take, mainly because we would blow it but then wait we wrestled it back but wait no ok its just taken away from us by random BS instead. Just no luck.

I need to get some sleep but really don't think I can, just feel for the team so much. KW doesn't deserve this crap.

4. Post
    Bloodline wrote:
    Lol walk in the door "ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLAND"

kill me plse
    I'm English and live and work in NZ. it's a pleasant change to not be the laughing stock and recipient of all the abuse at the end of a World Cup for once, though of course that's all likely to come again in a couple of months or so. When I think back to how miserable it was sitting at Westpac Stadium at the last World Cup for the game against NZ and being home in time for dinner and all the abuse at work the next day, it was worth it for this. Straight to the top of my all time sporting memories.

5. Post
    well, in the start i just wanted us to reach the semis and maybe to kick out the Aussie cheats but after the pool game i was like bugger. So silver linings i guess.

6. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Kane got player of the tournament.
    Deserves it. He carried the team on more than one occasion, and I doubt we would have got to the playoffs without him.

7. Post
    No matter who you support, you could not have asked for a more exciting world cup final than that.
    I'm gutted that deflection really changed the match at the end, but that's life.

8. Post
    Was great till the end. Sour taste in my mouth. Not angry we lost, just how we lost haha.

9. Post
    Grats to England, can't blame the count back, they know the rules should it come to it, only have ourselves to blame for not hitting many boundaries. Proud of the lads though, they won it in my eyes.

10. Post
    Does any other sport win a final by some count back though? Why not just play another super over?

Maybe I am slightly salty

11. Post
    It was such an unlikely scenario I guess noone ever thought the rule would come into play, especially in the World Cup Final of all games. Football penalty shootouts and golf playoffs go to sudden deaths, tennis tiebreaks win by 2 etc so playing another over would seem to make the most sense, or even just another ball for some sort of sudden death result.

12. Post
    Gerter wrote:
    Does any other sport win a final by some count back though? Why not just play another super over?

Maybe I am slightly salty
    Plenty. Football counts back away goals, then cards.

Rugby gets decided on yellow/red cards etc.

13. Post
    Pandaemonaeon wrote:
    No matter who you support, you could not have asked for a more exciting world cup final than that.
    I'm gutted that deflection really changed the match at the end, but that's life.
    Kind of how i felt, sick to the stomach at the time but what a great finish. There really wasn't a loser, but it is a shame NZ did not win. I did think England would win the comp at the start, glad it wasn't India or Australia

14. Post
    I hope ICC trolls us some more and changes the law so the countback is now decided on how many 3's are scored in the midwicket region between overs 30 and 35.

15. Post
    Esprit wrote:
    Plenty. Football counts back away goals, then cards.
    Not in a champions league or World Cup final though?

16. Post
    Gerter wrote:
    Grats to England, can't blame the count back, they know the rules should it come to it, only have ourselves to blame for not hitting many boundaries. Proud of the lads though, they won it in my eyes.
    I don’t think all the players would have known these random rules. And I don’t think you are being salty.

For comparison, I believe the rugby World Cup is extra time, sudden death, then a kicking competition.
    Football not too dissimilar.

A run is a run. It shouldn’t really matter if it’s a one, four or six.

17. Post
    Feel little numb

Feels worse then being thrashed.

18. Post
    Yeah .. I think I would rather they won it outright in the 47th over. This is much harder to take right now. But then again, the game wouldn't have been so exciting as it was.

19. Post
    So gutted for the lads. I don't really feel like we lost considering the tied score.

Boundaries are a dumb tie breaker, I think most sensible would be a) who finished ahead at group stage, then b) who won the previous game. Obviously that's still England so I think it's fair enough.

However, I think you should just go to another super over (like NBA, have OT until someone wins). The winner should be the winner on the day,

Sport is so full of ifs - and we just run out of luck at the end.

If Braithwaite didn't hit it a bit further, if England lost to India, etc etc.

20. Post
    Another over each would be the fairest way.

21. Post
    That was all a dreams wasn’t it and the final is tonight? Right?!

22. Post
    [QUOTE=BaggyGreens;11317548]You blokes must be gutted. If ever there was an instance where the WC should be shared this game is it. Is this totally fair.. akin to the penalty shootout to decide soccer matches.. Kiwis should lodge an appeal!!

23. Post
    At least a penalty shootout still has some skill attached to it. It would like the penalty shootout is tied so they just randomly stop doing it and then decide Team A is the winner because they took more corners. Wtf, I have to admit this loss is hard to take. Mostly because we didn't god damn lose. I'd rather have lost by a run so I can congratulate England and move on. But how can you congratulate a team that didn;t beat you. God damn ICC

24. Post
    Of all the sporting moments that have let me know, of all the times Liverpool have got so close to a title only to finish runner up, this is one, this one hurt the most. This will take a long time to get over. Boult will be re-playng this match in his head for the rest of life, forever knowing he cost NZ the Cricket World Cup. Had a chance to be a hero, but will forever be a loser (Not sure if I'm in jest or not there)

25. Post
    oddjob wrote:
    I don’t think all the players would have known these random rules. And I don’t think you are being salty.

For comparison, I believe the rugby World Cup is extra time, sudden death, then a kicking competition.
    Football not too dissimilar.

A run is a run. It shouldn’t really matter if it’s a one, four or six.
    Especially when one of those boundaries comes in such a fashion as a deflection. They picked literally the least fair way of deciding a WORLD CUP FINAL.