1. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    By the way were you on your phone for this post - some typos in there.
    Nah, he was just intoxicated

2. Post
    <N> wrote:
    Nah, he was just intoxicated
    Agreed, There is a post from him in domestic that was hard to understand too.

3. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    What about Kirk? He is an extremely senior business person with a good reputation in the business world. My contacts have dealt with and worked with him. What is your knowledge of him?

By the way were you on your phone for this post - some typos in there.
    Yeah phone. Flemming, McCullum and Vettori have massive business interests and portfolios, and didn't leverage their way through politics like Kirk to get there... (Kirk was National Party advisor for years before getting into Fairfax) they came in with cold head cash, and got sage financial advisers. I thought it was common knowledge just how filthy rich Flemm and Vettorri both are through their business interests. The NZ Herald loves to report on it.

I think you seriously under underestimate what the IPL coaches are earning... let alone how much these guys have pumped into elderly care and their massive real estate portfolios. Vettorri owns huge shares in multi unit title properties designed for elder care in Hamilton. Everyone knows of McCullum's horses. Neither Flem nor Vettori are not business savvy. In the least.

The domestic post is I don't believe in Seifert, and we'll see how he performs once the domestic season kicks off and you do you weekly round up posts.

I don't like Holding as a commentator. I think he is totally out of touch. The difference between him and someone like Hadlee, is Hadlee admits freely what he did not know when he played eg reverse swing. McGrath and Holding never admit ignorance on anything, and leads to unfortunate situations where McGrath will talk about wobble seam as a cross seamer. I much prefer the likes of Bond, Adams, Mills, and Bishop who discuss actual plans, field sets too. But I certainly think Punter with his greyhounds is above a mere modest 100 iq, he makes millions off them, and always has - hence his nickname. If it was that easy - everyone would do it.

Warne is a larrikin. I don't think he is an idiot. But he bores me on commentary with the same whiney and whingey nonsense all the time. Any chance to have a go at someone he doesn't like - he seemingly always takes. And its dull. But when he focuses on the game, he does have some good things to say at times. But when he focuses on personalities, less so.
    Last edited by Paddles; 8th September 2019 at 4:14 am.

4. Post
    Cool. Good summary. Glad to know you weren't off your trolley and it was phone issues!

5. Post

6. Post
    Bond was a genius. When you can bowl a booming insiwnger at 150k and bowl an outtie too, you will break records, just dont break your back like he did....

7. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Bond was a genius. When you can bowl a booming insiwnger at 150k and bowl an outtie too, you will break records, just dont break your back like he did....
    and he was a very late bloomer for a quick

8. Post
    <N> wrote:
    and he was a very late bloomer for a quick
    You're not wrong in history, but I am not sure we had the talent spotting in place back then that we do now....

9. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Yeah phone. Flemming, McCullum and Vettori have massive business interests and portfolios, .
    Difference between business interests and being in business or understanding business.
    This was a telling Quote from Fleming
    "I am having trouble adjusting to the world of business. I can't use the language of business."

I am a business person and that means he can't use phrases like ROI or NPV because he simply doesn't know what they mean.

10. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    Difference between business interests and being in business or understanding business.
    This was a telling Quote from Fleming
    "I am having trouble adjusting to the world of business. I can't use the language of business."

I am a business person and that means he can't use phrases like ROI or NPV because he simply doesn't know what they mean.
    Return on investment or net present value? I'm sure he can for ROI if he wanted to, he has more instested than most this forum... McCullum erroneously talks about resources when Kohli accurately talks about USP (unique selling points) - but who really cares about acronyms. Speak English... I say this with a lot of the alphabet after my name... I'd rather have Flem's net worth instead of all my letters tbh... (multi faceted btw)

Jargon is jargon... it doesn't define savvy... Our richest businessman in NZ was a tow truck driver once... Graham Heart... No lies... Marketers speak in jargon, businessmen speak in numbers...
    Last edited by Paddles; 8th September 2019 at 7:24 pm.

11. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Return on investment or net present value? I'm sure he can for ROI if he wanted to, he has more instested than most this forum... McCullum erroneously talks about resources when Kohli accurately talks about USP (unique selling points) - but who really cares about acronyms. Speak English... I say this with a lot of the alphabet after my name... I'd rather have Flem's net worth instead of all my letters tbh... (multi faceted btw)

Jargon is jargon... it doesn't define savvy... Our richest businessman in NZ was a tow truck driver once... Graham Heart... No lies... Marketers speak in jargon, businessmen speak in numbers...
    I like talking to you Paddles. I have 7 letters of the alphabet after my name as well by the way. I don't use them even on my business card as the business world only cares about what your job title is.

Just like I would with Rameez Raja, would be honoured to have a dinner conversation with you one day,

I have been a marketing manager and am in a related profession now, I use plenty of jargon to talk and simply cant talk to anyone who isn't trained in the language I speak.

About 15 years ago it was all the rage for HR managers to do a first round screening interview of job candidates. I could never get past those people as they didn't know basic jargon like "business case" or "ROI" "NPV" or "integrated marketing" or anything. The theory of the day is that a good business person should be able to explain their job to someone with no background in their field if they are a good communicator.
    That bullshit lasted 5 years, As soon as it ended I started going straight through to the hiring manager and was much more successful as they understood me.
    "Well Simon you want to know what a business case is? how about I punch you in the esophagus for wasting my time instead".

12. Post
    Last edited by Paddles; 9th September 2019 at 9:34 am.

13. Post
    Only managed to see highlights of the 3rd 20/20, was superb full length bowling from Malinga, our batsmen definitely didn't help themselves by staying too crease bound though... imagine if Malinga was allowed to bowl all 20 overs we could've been all out for about 20 or even less

14. Post
    Okay, this player of the match crap that the IPL started just to get more sponsor partners some advertising and photo ops with players has to stop or journalists need to actually watch the presentations. Now even journalists are getting confused. Or I am totally wrong, and I am now getting confused.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket
    https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport...blackcaps.html

"Tim [Southee] and Mitch [Santner] were outstanding with the ball, they were the rocks we could build our gameplan around. Colin [de Grandhomme] batted beautifully and showed a different side of his game, not necessarily power but also the ability to work the ball around. He was involved in a couple of key partnerships."

Southee was named player of the series while Santner's superb spell of 3-12 off four overs was overshadowed by Malinga's demolition job.
    True Southee was named player of the series. But the big prize went to CdG? Player of the match, or player of the series, is the silver medal. Man of the Match, or man of the series, is the gold medal? Its normally easy to work out with the biggest cheque being the actual award. But I am sure that is why CDG got a motorbike, and Southee just got a cheque. I see Cricinfo has further added to the confusion, by calling Malinga Player of the Match, when he was Man of the Match (Southee was Player of the Match iirc) and they called Southee Player of the Series, which he was. But Colin was Man of the Series which has not been reported anywhere?

The title had always been man of the match, and now everyone seems to be getting confused. Stuff has reported that CdG was most 'powerful player of the series'. https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...king-final-day

Can we get some clarity to these new awards in their ranking and use a systematic name code for them already. Or just stop with the multiple awards. I get the boards want that sponsor money, and Im sure the players love the cash bonuses, but this is getting out of control now. Some will say it doesn't matter, but some cricket nuffies like tabulating motm awards as another endearing stat to the sport they love and support.
    Last edited by Paddles; 10th September 2019 at 9:09 am.

15. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    Test team

Raval
    Latham
    Kane
    Ross
    Nicholls
    Watling
    Santner
    Astle
    Wagner