1. Post
    Lankans a bit too good in the end. Black Caps certainly not disgraced.

2. Post
    I ashamed to say this but we would have had a better chance of winning under BMacs schizo captaincy (I say schizo because he changed his field sometimes every three balls) than Kanes,

Kane had too many guys in run saving positions. Should have created drama by surrounding the batsman with fielders. I am sure BMac would have done it. Kane is a fine inspirational leader and in fact one of the best leaders we have had, Apparently his pre-match speeches are vivid moving and effective. However I would not have him in my top 5 kiwi captains for tactical nous.

3. Post
    Mitch needs to improve his batting abilities fast, or he’s going to disappear into test match obscurity.

4. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    I ashamed to say this but we would have had a better chance of winning under BMacs schizo captaincy (I say schizo because he changed his field sometimes every three balls) than Kanes,

Kane had too many guys in run saving positions. Should have created drama by surrounding the batsman with fielders. I am sure BMac would have done it. Kane is a fine inspirational leader and in fact one of the best leaders we have had, Apparently his pre-match speeches are vivid moving and effective. However I would not have him in my top 5 kiwi captains for tactical nous.
    wrighty I am hearing Sri Lanka has been handed 60 World Test Champ points. Surely not.

5. Post
    BaggyGreens wrote:
    wrighty I am hearing Sri Lanka has been handed 60 World Test Champ points. Surely not.
    Hi baggy green
    There are always 120 points per series regardless of length of series
    As this is a two test series they get a whopping 60 points for the win
    Last edited by wrighty; 19th August 2019 at 1:44 pm.

6. Post
    aitkenmike wrote:
    100%. He is clearly the 1st spinner, and probably the fourth name written down (Kane, Ross, Boult, Santner) for the NZ ODI team, but he needs two years of taking a large number of first class wickets before I want to see him playing test cricket again. I hope he does it, but he just isn't a test bowler at this stage of his career.
    We have a history of making spinners with awful strike rates our #1 test spinner for some reason

7. Post
    Really wish they'd interview someone else other than Craig Cumming on the radio, idiot just disagrees with others opinion to appear smarter.

8. Post
    wrighty wrote:

I am watching some ashes replays at the moment and the English have four guys around the bat and their pitch is doing less than the Galle one. Kane only had two close in catchers. Twice catches went to where a second slip would have been.

Kane's poor field placings was one of many factors why we lost.

Another captaincy decision that irked me considerably was opening the bowling with Tim and Trent for only 7 overs at the start of the 4th innings.
    If you have such little faith in your seamers to get a wicket that you take them off that quick notwithstanding the heat/humidity then don't pick either Tim or Trent in the first place as their only chance is with the new ball. Not a smart play.

Next game I would go Astle for Southee.

9. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    I am watching some ashes replays at the moment and the English have four guys around the bat and their pitch is doing less than the Galle one. Kane only had two close in catchers. Twice catches went to where a second slip would have been.

Kane's poor field placings was one of many factors why we lost.

Another captaincy decision that irked me considerably was opening the bowling with Tim and Trent for only 7 overs at the start of the 4th innings.
    If you have such little faith in your seamers to get a wicket that you take them off that quick notwithstanding the heat/humidity then don't pick either Tim or Trent in the first place as their only chance is with the new ball. Not a smart play.

Next game I would go Astle for Southee.
    You don't need a second slip for a spinner. You just need your best first slip, which is not Ross. I suspect the best slipper in this test team is actually Southee. I really don't see him miss much. Ever. KW easily the best catcher, but you probably want him a more difficult fielding position, and Boult can into gully, or catching point too. We have to find a new fielding spot for Ross.

Tim should never have been picked. He was never going to bowl much. Wagner would have offered more with a short old ball attack.

I said before the game I did not get why Southee or Santner were picked. And they bowled so lil overs, my view was entirely justified.

Its too early to say Astle for Southee when we havn't even seen the pitch yet. But, would like to see Astle replace Santner anyway, Wagner replace Southee, then - look at the pitch to see if CdG or Southee warrant a recall to the XI. Then there is something else I would do, if its a spinning track, I'd look at dropping both CdG and Southee, and really think long and hard about playing 3 spinners, Wagner or Boult, and bat Tom Blundell at 7.

Boult for me is the tricky one. He is the best new ball bowler in NZ by a mile. Wagner is the probably best old ball seamer on lifeless wickets with his short stuff. If going for one preference on a spinning track, which one?

I don't believe BMac's captaincy would have made any diference. Iirc, KW has won a test series in Asia as a captain, BMac's best was a drawn series in the UAE. BMac used to just let Mark Craig and KW bowl through the 5th day with some spurts of Trent and Tim, and hope it was good enough to get the wickets.

I don't blame the NZ bowlers or field sets for this loss at all. I pin the entire responsibility on some horrible NZ batting. Too many soft dismissals - too often. Patel kept us in the game with his first innings spell, then when our tail enders were forming partnerships, it was totally clear the NZ second innings batting performance was as bad if not worse as the first innings. Raval, KW, Henry, didn't contribute anywhere near enough, Watling and Taylor produced one innings each. Latham still didn't NZ into a rock solid position.

The SL captain though scored over 160 runs himself and was rightfully motm.
    Last edited by Paddles; 19th August 2019 at 9:18 pm.

10. Post
    Dicey wrote:
    We have a history of making spinners with awful strike rates our #1 test spinner for some reason
    But is he? I could have sworn he is ranked 4th on the spin bowling for NZ test, I firmly believe his inclusion was batting related. KW did not seem at all keen on bowling him.

Santner was injured for the England test series at home, but I believed Astle was going to play ahead of him anyway. Astle then got injured, so Sodhi came back, but Sodhi fell behind Patel and Somers in the UAE. Patel was ahead of Somers for the tests in NZ until we finally, and about time, dropped the spinners altogether in NZ.

I was astounded that Santner edged ahead of Astle for this test. It had to be based on theories that Santner has improved his batting.

11. Post
    Was referring to Vettori there

12. Post
    Dicey wrote:
    Was referring to Vettori there
    Bit harsh. Post back injury Vettori was always going to play with his batting, and its not like Jeetan Patel bowled as well as DV when given the chances to play. Jeetan Patel's test record is almost horrific.

I think the bigger question is how often do we really need a spinner in the team in NZ. Which I believe is much less than 1 test a year.

We gotta get the right players for overseas, though.

13. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    You don't need a second slip for a spinner..
    FWIW the little lankans used a second slip/gully for their spinners on occassion and got Latham out there.
    I rate the lankans as being knowledgeable about field placements for spin.
    Taylor had no chance on either catch unless he had inspector gadget arms

Happy with the rest of your post.

14. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    FWIW the little lankans used a second slip/gully for their spinners on occassion and got Latham out there.
    I rate the lankans as being knowledgeable about field placements for spin.
    Taylor had no chance on either catch unless he had inspector gadget arms

Happy with the rest of your post.
    You mean the guy often on his knees up close? That's not a second slip, its a "silly" gully or a wide 3rd slip at best. When up that close, it about trying to catch the soft dead hand edge that won't carry, unless the ball is fizzing away from the edge. Patel bowls quickly and Sommerville is tall, so I think the Little Lankans need that position more, but I have seen England use it in England too when the pitch starts dying for Mo.

I am open to having someone in there. Latham and Nicholls are probably the best options for helmet requiring positions.

As for Taylor, its actually recognizing who is the best slipper. I don't like leaping praise on Southee as much as anyone does, but the guy is probably the best slipper in this current team. I think its bowled Boult caught Southee more than caught Taylor. Seriously. And Tim is normally third slip at best. Neesh is okay when he plays. Corey used to be okay too.

I don't want Ross sent to the boundary as a sweeper, and doing his hamstring running after a ball, or worse putting his shoulder out with all those long throws. And he is really isn't built for the covers. But surely there is somewhere in the in field he can patrol parentered with someone more sprightly.

I don't why it is, but NZ are producing seamers who are really good catchers. Put the best man in the position. If its Tim, use him. If Trent is the best gully (he's not - its KW - - but he will field wherever he wants - but Trent is def the 2nd best gully) use Trent. If Wagner is bowling short stuff, have Trent and Tim out on the boundary on the leg side with KW at short mid wicket.

I think we need to be wiser not with the field placements, but who is actually fielding there. At least that is one thing India and Pakistan do get right despite famously being some of the most awful fielding teams in the world. They put their best fielders where they think wickets will happen.
    Last edited by Paddles; 19th August 2019 at 11:49 pm.

15. Post
    T20 Black Caps squad: Tim Southee (c), Todd Astle, Tom Bruce, Colin de Grandhomme, Lockie Ferguson, Martin Guptill, Scott Kuggeleijn, Daryl Mitchell, Colin Munro, Seth Rance, Mitchell Santner, Tim Seifert, Ish Sodhi, Ross Taylor.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricke...amsons-absence

I don't know why Trent and Kane need so many breaks from intl cricket NZ play half the games the rest of the teams do. Somehow the English team with Butler, Stokes, Bairstow, (IPL as well for these 3) Root, Woakes et al do just fine never getting breaks. Archer and Roy could also be on this list soon.

Liking Kugg in there. Liking Mitchell getting more chances. Brucie is back which shows a lack of depth. Conway is eligible in September next year. The World t20 is in October. Hmmmm - will NZ do an Joffra Archer type punt selection with him?

There is really not much to like about the batting.

1 Gup
    2 Munro
    3 Seifert +
    4Taylor
    5 Brucie
    6 Mitchell/Astle/CdG
    7 Santner
    8 Kuggs (I actually hope he bats much much higher)
    9 Southee c
    10 Rance
    11 Sodhi

The bowling seems to have been stacked, possibly due to SL conditions - not knowing whether a seam or spin attack will be needed. Very light on batting. Good to see no Bracewell.
    Last edited by Paddles; 20th August 2019 at 4:12 pm.

16. Post
    wrighty wrote:

Wouldn't be ashamed to say it, on the last day our only option was to be as proactive as McCullum was... trouble with him as a captain throughout a test though he'd over attack instead of knowing when to pull his head in & go back to his usual field settings.

Thought Williamsons captaincy was excellent at the WC, he selected the right times to be proactive & when not to attack too much.... in the test against Sri Lanka he went back to his conservative captaincy style, especially on day 5.

17. Post
    Southee... captain? No thank you

18. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    You mean the guy often on his knees up close? That's not a second slip, its a "silly" gully or a wide 3rd slip at best. When up that close, it about trying to catch the soft dead hand edge that won't carry, unless the ball is fizzing away from the edge. Patel bowls quickly and Sommerville is tall, so I think the Little Lankans need that position more, but I have seen England use it in England too when the pitch starts dying for Mo.

I am open to having someone in there. Latham and Nicholls are probably the best options for helmet requiring positions.

As for Taylor, its actually recognizing who is the best slipper. I don't like leaping praise on Southee as much as anyone does, but the guy is probably the best slipper in this current team. I think its bowled Boult caught Southee more than caught Taylor. Seriously. And Tim is normally third slip at best. Neesh is okay when he plays. Corey used to be okay too.

I don't want Ross sent to the boundary as a sweeper, and doing his hamstring running after a ball, or worse putting his shoulder out with all those long throws. And he is really isn't built for the covers. But surely there is somewhere in the in field he can patrol parentered with someone more sprightly.

I don't why it is, but NZ are producing seamers who are really good catchers. Put the best man in the position. If its Tim, use him. If Trent is the best gully (he's not - its KW - - but he will field wherever he wants - but Trent is def the 2nd best gully) use Trent. If Wagner is bowling short stuff, have Trent and Tim out on the boundary on the leg side with KW at short mid wicket.

I think we need to be wiser not with the field placements, but who is actually fielding there. At least that is one thing India and Pakistan do get right despite famously being some of the most awful fielding teams in the world. They put their best fielders where they think wickets will happen.

Yikes what a detail we are discussing
    Whether it is actually a gully or a third slip that is what I meant in general. A second guy in that general slip area.

I think Ross is good enough to stay at skip but that every year we should review
    My slip catching reactions got faster as I got older.

19. Post
    Dans wrote:
    Southee... captain? No thank you
    There's not much choice in the t20 squad bar Ross and Gup.

20. Post
    Thanks for posting that, He clearly chucks and always has. Never undestood why they let him start bowling again.

21. Post
    wrighty wrote:
    Thanks for posting that, He clearly chucks and always has. Never undestood why they let him start bowling again.
    Anyone can bowl again once cleared. He did the action re-modelling thing and was passed.

He needs to get it sorted though. Cos NZC has England and India here this summer, and we will not give them turning pitches, and just like Bangladesh, cos well go into a test with a 4 prong seam attack plus CdG...

So unless Rachin Randindra starts looking like he is ready for test cricket as an opener... this could be a huge blow for Henry and Fergo.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...t-action-again

Its worse news for Akila. He can play the second test, but he is staring down a ban for one from bowling if he fails his test in 12 days.
    Last edited by Paddles; 20th August 2019 at 10:16 pm.

22. Post
    CdG for Santner is the only change....you have got to be kidding. How does Southee retain his spot?

23. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    CdG for Santner is the only change....you have got to be kidding. How does Southee retain his spot?
    But he's our best bowler in Asia, cos of 2012.... HE is totally the same mid 140's bowler now that he was then and stuff... honest...

This does not bode well for Neil Wagner tbh. With Henry and Fergo especially smashing on the selection door, Wagner's NZ career might finish this summer.

24. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Crazy. If i'm after a fast bowler to shake things up on a dead pitch with a 45 over ball i'm thinking Wagner, not Southee (and not CdG).