Page 1 of 3 123 Last

1. Cool

eScooter Enthusiast Thread

Didn't really know where to put this thread but anyone else addicted to these?

I got myself a Xiaomi from pbtech for 599 and have had heaps of fun on it on my ~2km commute between carpark and office. Probably the first and only thing to ever motivate me to lose weight lol, just so I can go faster.

Can't stop thinking about what the upgrade path is though. The Zero 9 looks good and about as much as I'm willing to spend.

Discuss.
    Last edited by pablo d; 21st August 2019 at 6:15 pm.

2. Post
    Zero 10X is a beast, flatmate has one. rips up our rather steep hill at 25kmph

3. Post
    I legitimately think I would kill myself on one of those...

And I also wonder if and when the law will actually be enforced given they aren't allowed to pump out more than 300w, which effectively bans most decent scooters..

4. Post
    Can they do tricks like normal scooters? I want to do a backflip

I can see local councils sooner rather than later requiring users to wear helmets and through firemware be locked to a certain speed limit.

5. Post
    Considering there are models being sold here that can do 90kph, they defo aren't enforcing the limit - couple that speed with a footpath and it is only a matter of time before some idiot kills someone or themselves with one - bugger going that fast on such small wheels.

I'm too big and tall for most of the cheap models. I've been following the development of electric unicycles for awhile and considered getting one of those instead - but like e-scooters, the good models are around 3k.

6. Post
    The new Boosted Rev looks like a beast!

7. Post
    I have been considering a scooter just to extend the range where I can avoid using the car.

However I'm not sure about the practicalities of carrying it around a shopping centre etc. How awkward is it having to keep it with you?

Will places let you tie it up outside like a bike? Can you even secure it?

8. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Considering there are models being sold here that can do 90kph, they defo aren't enforcing the limit - couple that speed with a footpath and it is only a matter of time before some idiot kills someone or themselves with one - bugger going that fast on such small wheels.

I'm too big and tall for most of the cheap models. I've been following the development of electric unicycles for awhile and considered getting one of those instead - but like e-scooters, the good models are around 3k.
    Geez. If they are going to allow that to be sold in NZ and not enforce a hard speed limit - then the law needs to be changed to force motorised scooters off the foot path and into the roads with bicycles and cars.
    Otherwise it makes ZERO sense why a cyclist needs to drive on the road and the 100kmph scooter can just casually take out kids on the sidewalk.

It's really for the best to force scooters to the roads, it gives them more options to travel further - could even go over the bridge once the skypath is built, or over the normal bridge if those wheels can handle it.

My only concern is out roads are peppered with potholes and I don't know how those tiny wheels handle potholes?

9. Post
    I wouldn't trust many scooters - and definitely Not the Limes etc - to make it over the harbour bridge at a reasonable click. I've been trying to figure out how it could work. Perhaps if you are wearing a helmet and follow the normal road rules then they can be treated the same as bicycles? I.e. Can drive on the road or cycle lanes as long as it's at an appropriate speed. This would keep the rental scooters off the road as 99% of users dont wear a helmet and they are slow as shit compared to real traffic.

10. Post
    brand wrote:
    I have been considering a scooter just to extend the range where I can avoid using the car.

However I'm not sure about the practicalities of carrying it around a shopping centre etc. How awkward is it having to keep it with you?

Will places let you tie it up outside like a bike? Can you even secure it?
    They are easy to lock up. I generally just wheel it around the supermarket with me though.

11. Post
    They need to allow them to be ridden in designated cycle lanes, not many people feel confident enough to ride these on the road and it would be safer for everyone than the footpath.
    NZTA wrote:
    Electric scooters or e-scooters

An electric scooter is designed in the style of a traditional push scooter, with a footboard, two or three wheels, a long steering handle and an electric auxiliary propulsion motor. In order to meet the requirements for a low-powered vehicle, the wheels must not exceed 355mm and the motor must have a maximum power output not exceeding 300W.

Please note: the maximum possible wattage stated of the electric motor is not necessarily the same as the maximum power output of the e-scooter.

Maximum power output is determined by multiplying the battery voltage by the controller’s maximum amperage output. For example, a 600W motor and a 12V battery with a controller that has a maximum output of 21amps creates a maximum power output of 252W – so 252W is the relevant figure, even though the motor has a potential output of 600W.

E-scooters can be used on the footpath or the road – except in designated cycle lanes that are part of the road (which were designed for the sole use of cyclists).

On the footpath the user must:

operate the device in a careful and considerate manner
    operate the device at a speed that does not put other footpath users at risk
    give way to both pedestrians and drivers of mobility devices.
    On the road, e-scooters must be operated as near as practicable to the edge of the roadway.

A helmet is not legally required to be worn when using an e-scooter, but is recommended.
    A cop pulling you up is going to have a hard time determining the maximum power output on the spot, hence how you can get away with the high powered models currently.

12. Post
    Does the power output matter? We let cars on that the road that can do 0 to 100kmph in 2.1 seconds.

I would have thought keeping to a safe speed limit would be more important, tickets could be handed out for breaking road rules such as speeding, going through red lights etc

13. Post
    pablo d wrote:
    They are easy to lock up. I generally just wheel it around the supermarket with me though.
    How easy is it to carry around if you had to though?

I walk/run a bit could I carry it with me on a walk/run and use it to scooter back if I get tired? How cumbersome is it?

14. Post
    brand wrote:
    How easy is it to carry around if you had to though?

I walk/run a bit could I carry it with me on a walk/run and use it to scooter back if I get tired? How cumbersome is it?
    Depends what model you get. The Xiaomi is 14kg which is light enough to carry up some stairs but I certainly wouldn't go for a jog with it. There are some models under 10kg but are generally more expensive and less powerful.

- - - Updated - - -

+They are pretty cumbersome.

15. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Does the power output matter? We let cars on that the road that can do 0 to 100kmph in 2.1 seconds.

I would have thought keeping to a safe speed limit would be more important, tickets could be handed out for breaking road rules such as speeding, going through red lights etc
    These are on the footpath though and the current laws don't enforce speed limits, which would also be hard to do - and is what the maximum power output of 300w is trying to do, and those models normally max out around 25-30kph. The models being sold here with more than 10 times that power are the ones capable of 90kph.

16. Post
    If anyone is interested in overclocking their Xiaomi let me know, I've settled on a stable 50% OC, easy as pie.

17. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    These are on the footpath though and the current laws don't enforce speed limits, which would also be hard to do - and is what the maximum power output of 300w is trying to do, and those models normally max out around 25-30kph. The models being sold here with more than 10 times that power are the ones capable of 90kph.
    Right you are, quick check I managed to find a NZ store selling a 3400w scooter that does 100km range and 90kmph top speed

18. Post
    Hmm.. Dick Smith/Kogan have what looks like a knock off of the Xiaomi for around $470 shipped -is that too cheap to be trustworthy?

https://www.dicksmith.co.nz/dn/buy/k...utm_source=dse

19. Post
    If it were me I'd just pay the extra for the Xiaomi locally from the likes of PBtech who can service it, with Kogan you'd have to send it back to Hong Kong - the Xiaomi also has a higher power motor.

20. Post
    SirGrim wrote:
    Right you are, quick check I managed to find a NZ store selling a 3400w scooter that does 100km range and 90kmph top speed
    Link?

21. Post

22. Post
    ^That offroad model was the one I was referring too.

This warehouse deal seems good for that type of scooter brand - it is $200 cheaper than Torepdo 7 and you can even get an additional one at half price.
    Last edited by HELL KNIGHT; 20th July 2019 at 4:20 am. Reason: typo

23. Post
    I wouldn't go for anything cheaper than the full power xiaomi tbh, you'll be disappoint.

24. Post
    Yeah bro I bought a Ninebot ES2 a while ago for $600.

I've clocked up 338 km (recorded). I bought it so I could ride to work and skip traffic with the added bonus of saving money on gas and it being fun.

I've looked at upgrading it to an ES4 but realized I don't need speed or range, I just need it to work.

25. Post
    Yeah that thing will kill you.