1. Post

Better to sell whole build or split?

Ive got an aging pc that im going to try and sell in future, but I really like my case and PSU, would I be better off splitting it or try finding an old case and PSU to chuck in to sell? Not really sure how the market is atm for older PCs.

Specs:
    Z77 mITX mobo
    16gb ram (of some kind, not too shabby)
    MSI 390x water cooled
    QNIX 27" Korean monitor 1440p

2. Post
    Ballistica wrote:
    Ive got an aging pc that im going to try and sell in future, but I really like my case and PSU, would I be better off splitting it or try finding an old case and PSU to chuck in to sell? Not really sure how the market is atm for older PCs.

Specs:
    Z77 mITX mobo
    MSI 390x water cooled
    Pull out the RAM, motherboard and CPU and sell it separately.

3770K and Z77 are two terms people are apparently still familiar with and they go for a mint on TradeMe.

You'll actually probably get more for just those three alone than if you sold the whole machine in one go.

All of the people who said, "I'll get the more expensive motherboard and later on I can upgrade the processor" apparently live and die by those words even though there are better, cheaper options.

3. Post
    Almost always make more money by parting it out.

On my last PC I sold, I did so as a whole unit and lost about $500 to $600 by not parting it out because I was impatient

4. Post
    Ballistica wrote:

Specs:
    Z77 mITX mobo
    MSI 390x water cooled
    Could be interested in working out a deal for the motherboard, and possibly the CPU as well if you decide to part.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5. Post
    I got way more than expecting for my 5ish year old system when parting it out. Slightly more effort but just list all parts on TM for $1 and let it go.

6. Post
    Yeah part out and $1 reserve is what I usually do. Haven't really had anything go for less than what I'd consider a reasonable price for old tech so far. There's always people looking for an obsolete motherboard for their older processor or things along that line. The market for a complete system that's obsolete seems to be much smaller.

7. Post
    seeing the specs of that pc, and the comments about it being obsolete make me feel sad lol. My motherboard and cpu are 2010. I can't look up the original order on Computer Lounge's website now. Ram has been upgraded and the video card has changed a couple of times. But its end of the road really. Could go from an i5 760 to an i7 but I doubt there would be much of a difference.

8. Post
    B|ind-Reaper* wrote:
    seeing the specs of that pc, and the comments about it being obsolete make me feel sad lol. My motherboard and cpu are 2010. I can't look up the original order on Computer Lounge's website now. Ram has been upgraded and the video card has changed a couple of times. But its end of the road really. Could go from an i5 760 to an i7 but I doubt there would be much of a difference.
    I feel ya, to be honest, there's still no game I can't play with this rig, it'll be fine for most people, but I have VR and I'm going to upgrade to ab ultrawide so it's time for an upgrade.