1. Post

What website/app ideas do you have?

Any website/app ideas that you wished exist in New Zealand for New Zealanders?

2. Post
    TradeMe competitor.

A good one.

One that doesn't add a thousand clicks in order to try and nickle and dime you every step of the way like TradeMe does. Minimal effort to create/manage listings. And everyone is on a level playing field.

Maybe one that is capable of sorting lowest to highest. TradeMe apparently can't do that.

Here's TradeMe sorting monitors lowest to highest:
    Name:  64641272_387371418552348_6848253043402604544_n.png
Views: 271
Size:  392.5 KB

And has some method of filtering out all the shit, no, your $1000 listing should not be below that $2000 car because your buy now is $18,000 and your reserve is $17,999. I'm not going to suddenly be convinced to buy a $20,000 car because you shoved it in the $2000 cars.

3. Post

4. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Yes, you are right, I notice Kiwis have been selling their goods on Facebook groups rather than TradeMe in the past few years, because it's easier and faster.

5. Post
    Dakaa wrote:
    Yes, you are right, I notice Kiwis have been selling their goods on Facebook groups rather than TradeMe in the past few years, because it's easier and faster.
    I probably wouldn't agree with that sentiment, I see a lot of listings but don't think there's a lot of sales. And a huge amount of frustration on Facebook.

I'd probably suggest they either list both places, and it sells on TradeMe, or they list Facebook and it either doesn't sell, or it does eventually but after a lot of time wasters.

Buying on there is equally difficult, $1 (wanting $7000). $123 PM me offers (everyone ignores it).

"I'll buy it" *doesn't turn up*
    Or "I'll buy it" *turns up and starts haggling*

Plus all of the scams.

6. Post
    If I had a great idea for an app/ Website, i'd be using it, not giving it up for free on an internet forum.

Just sayin'

7. Post
    I sell a lot of goods on FB.

It is definitely a different consumer base but it's good for getting rid of things.

It's better because a) you do not need to wait 7 days, b) immediate contact and c) 0 fees.

Admittedly, more time wasters but meh, if you let someone's 2 seconds of time wasting upset you, I'm sure you've got bigger problems in life.

Have also had a number of things I had listed on FB and forgot about. A month or so someone will message and take it away.

Trademe has more up market clientele but their whole system is both confusing and shit.

8. Post
    I want eBay to hurry up and set up shop here so they can bury TradeMe with it's extortionist prices.

9. Post
    Rii wrote:
    I want eBay to hurry up and set up shop here so they can bury TradeMe with it's extortionist prices.
    You obviously haven't sold anything on eBay before. Their fees are even worse. My small-time trading company sells on both.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fe...es?id=4364#fvf

As well as 10% for most categories:
    "Additional final value fees

You may be charged final value fees if you violate our policy of buying or selling outside of eBay, or we may apply additional final value fees if you are not meeting our performance expectations."

If you aren't selling enough they'll bill ya. We've been hit by one of those. And it's mandatory to connect them straight to your bank account via PayPal, so they can withdraw their post-applied fees directly.

10. Post
    What
    The
    Fudge.

11. Post
    A cool app idea could be to ask people what apps they want to see or think would be good ideas. Once they submit their ideas you plagiarize and sell their own ideas back to them...

12. Post
    Pulley wrote:
    A cool app idea could be to ask people what apps they want to see or think would be good ideas. Once they submit their ideas you plagiarize and sell their own ideas back to them...
    Maybe that's the point of the thread?

13. Post
    CoolShady wrote:
    Maybe that's the point of the thread?
    did I not make the … big enough? or potentially not enough?

14. Smile
    suntoucher wrote:
    TradeMe competitor.

A good one.
    I agree but it will be slow going at first because you need to get the word out that there's an alternative and for people to sign up.

Once that happens it should be all go.

15. Post
    pushing shit uphill id say, 'weedle.co.nz'

16. Post
    BattleCrap wrote:
    pushing shit uphill id say, 'weedle.co.nz'
    Nah, you just need a new idea. Wheedle, and Sella were both TradeMe clones. You can't beat an incumbent at their own game by copying them exactly and offering nothing new. Especially if the market is sensitive to foot traffic.

Low fees are meaningless for auctions because auctions require foot traffic and that is all they offered.

A good competitor will offer something wholly new, that isn't traffic sensitive and identifies and resolves TradeMe's flaws. And there are many of those.

Copying TradeMe is like converting to a dairy farm when milk prices are high. Which is literally what everyone does and they all fail miserably when the market crashes as a result.

17. Post
    It's always first to market. you're not breaking trademe's market unless you have an ass ton of cash. weedle did and still failed.

18. Post
    https://www.allgoods.co.nz/home

this has potential but still a lot of work needed..

19. Post
    focus wrote:
    https://www.allgoods.co.nz/home

this has potential but still a lot of work needed..
    Yeah, I've seen this one before. I found it messy and slow and still auctions.

MysticNZ wrote:
    It's always first to market. you're not breaking trademe's market unless you have an ass ton of cash. weedle did and still failed.
    I don't believe that. Asian countries have things like Carousell popping up and stealing significant marketshare from eBay who used to be the dominant force. And AliExpress took the new, small goods market albeit eBay was there first.

NZ is a pretty good market for someone to move in, just who's it going to be?

Probably a good opportunity now as well, I don't think the UK owners will do any good for a business who is already generally disliked.