Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Post
    We did a similar exercise a few years ago now. We checked out Tokoroa, based on just cheap prices. However, one visit to the town suburbs was enough to put us off. So we looked further afield like Waipukurau, Danniverke, and even Palmerston North. However we wanted a little bit more services substance to our town selection, so that is where we came up with New Plymouth and Napier. But in the end we decided that Cambridge would be a better option because of its proximity to Auckland and family.

2. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    We did a similar exercise a few years ago now. We checked out Tokoroa, based on just cheap prices. However, one visit to the town suburbs was enough to put us off. So we looked further afield like Waipukurau, Danniverke, and even Palmerston North. However we wanted a little bit more services substance to our town selection, so that is where we came up with New Plymouth and Napier. But in the end we decided that Cambridge would be a better option because of its proximity to Auckland and family.
    Cambridge is nice

Alot of good discussion here, I previously though just small town = cheap house prices = cheaper, but analyzing living expenses, availability of certain things, how often you would still need to go the city etc adds in another level of detail.

Somewhere like Cambridge seems ideal, you have Tauranga, Rotorua and Hamilton all very close, and Auckland not much further away, while Cambridge itself seems really laid back and chilled.
    Last edited by stacrafty; 26th July 2019 at 8:43 pm.

3. Post
    cambridge has become even more chill now that the new SH1 has bypassed the town all together which means people dont stop there for the coffee/petrol/break. good for the locals, bad for the local businesses.

4. Post
    Not a local, always stop for a coffee. Ner.

5. Post
    one_red_god wrote:
    Not a local, always stop for a coffee. Ner.
    never do now , im just glad i dont have to try and get through that roundabout , that was a nightmare.

6. Post
    Is there really much of a difference in expenses between cities and smaller towns? I think someone mentioned earlier about food being more expensive? I don't think that's a thing. Unless we're talking about much smaller towns in the middle of nowhere. Mid sized towns I cant see having any noticeable difference in food price....?
    Petrol is more expensive in some places.

Internet and power is surely the same? Depending on internet availability of course.

7. Post
    Cambridge is farming and horse breeding, quite snobby and rather expensive. Te Awamutu would be a better option. You can still get house and land packages there for around $500k.

Kawerau would also be an option I'd consider. House prices went up 50% in one year, thanks to all the people moving there from bigger cities.

8. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Is there really much of a difference in expenses between cities and smaller towns? I think someone mentioned earlier about food being more expensive? I don't think that's a thing. Unless we're talking about much smaller towns in the middle of nowhere. Mid sized towns I cant see having any noticeable difference in food price....?
    Petrol is more expensive in some places.

Internet and power is surely the same? Depending on internet availability of course.
    Power is more region dependent as its the lines company's that make a difference for pricing not the retailers.

Some places in the middle of nowhere are not much more expensive that a large city but some regions can be expensive, I think if I was in a region with these guys I would just go off grid.

9. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    Is there really much of a difference in expenses between cities and smaller towns? I think someone mentioned earlier about food being more expensive? I don't think that's a thing. Unless we're talking about much smaller towns in the middle of nowhere. .
    have you tried it?
    I have.
    Twice.
    Currently in Napier.
    Is that small then?
    It's damn expensive here.
    Power costs more - same power co, cheaper in Auckland.
    Rates cost more.

Food, well they grow a lot here right? I could buy cherries in Auckland for $8kg. Here, it's more and this is where they come from.

Meat - the cheapest place here is actually the supermarket. Auckland I paid between $4 and $12 a kg for stuff. Local butcher shops.
    Chemist cost me $40 the other week, (The $5 an item) no free prescriptions here, back in Auckland they all are doing it now.
    Free, not free after you get so many or whatever.

See?
    Tradesmen, both easier to get In auckland and cheaper.

More competition I guess.

10. Post
    $4 a kilo for meat sounds like the meat is organs and hooves. It's difficult to get meat processed anywhere for less than about $2 a kilo, and that's before the meat is even supplied.

Some things are going to be more due to scale, and whether you want to replicate city living somewhere that's not a city. Overall, once you factor in housing, fuel, parking and all other costs you should have more in your pocket living outside one of the main cities.

11. Post
    Yup, $4-$12 kg for meat in Auckland isnt going to get much, at least if its not on special and its still the cheap cuts or due expiration. Also, not all places offer free prescriptions. Only ones I know of is Chemist Warehouse and is it Countdown?

12. Post
    pctek wrote:
    have you tried it?
    I have.
    Twice.
    Currently in Napier.
    Is that small then?
    It's damn expensive here.
    Power costs more - same power co, cheaper in Auckland.
    Rates cost more.

Food, well they grow a lot here right? I could buy cherries in Auckland for $8kg. Here, it's more and this is where they come from.

Meat - the cheapest place here is actually the supermarket. Auckland I paid between $4 and $12 a kg for stuff. Local butcher shops.
    Chemist cost me $40 the other week, (The $5 an item) no free prescriptions here, back in Auckland they all are doing it now.
    Free, not free after you get so many or whatever.

See?
    Tradesmen, both easier to get In auckland and cheaper.

More competition I guess.
    You don't need to take it personally lol. We're just having a discussion.

13. Post
    Comedy option: Masterton.

All the benefits of working in Wellington and all the benefits of living rurally! Only a two hour commute! Each way!

14. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Comedy option: Masterton.

All the benefits of working in Wellington and all the benefits of living rurally! Only a two hour commute! Each way!
    Yet if you can build the commuting time into your work day, as many do, its a decent option.

15. Post
    oddjob wrote:
    Yet if you can build the commuting time into your work day, as many do, its a decent option.
    My ex work mate in Auckland did exactly that. Moved to masterton for cheaper housing but commutes to Wellington each day. Commute is the same as he was doing from north Auckland anyway.

16. Post
    oddjob wrote:
    And the trains only break down/have delays every second day! What a bargain!

I tried something similar from Upper Hutt, found it difficult to concentrate and get any work done on the trains with it being so crowded.

17. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    And the trains only break down/have delays every second day! What a bargain!

I tried something similar from Upper Hutt, found it difficult to concentrate and get any work done on the trains with it being so crowded.
    If it was as bad as you’re saying then no one would do it. Fact is the train is popular to the point of being crowded.

Upper Hutt would be difficult without tables and power outlets, like the Wairarapa train.

18. Post
    Wait so you're saying employers allow people to "work" while on their commute and factor that in to their work day. Four hours in the office and four hours on the train? Interesting. Certainly a better deal than what i used to do in Auckland with an hour and a half commute either side of a nine hour day.... never ever doing that again. Ever.

19. Post
    Employers can be flexible. I would have no issue doing that, but I also can't work on the train, too noisy, bouncy and crowded.

Instead I just drive to a BP or cafe or something and sit there and work.

A lot of the shine has come off moving out of Auckland as house prices everywhere have surged while Auckland has flattened.

20. Post
    Mosgiel

21. Post
    BattleCrap wrote:
    Mosgiel
    Ahhh, Dunedin's retirement village.