1. Post

[SOVLED] Laptops: low end games and uni work, good durability?

Any thoughts on a good sub-$1800 laptop that will last a few years, isn't made of the cheapest plastic you've ever seen, and can be used to play old casual games (60fps+ on Gmod / Source, low-mid settings on modern games at 40fps perhaps, nothing cutting edge) and has a good enough battery so I can take it to uni?

Getting rid of all my heavy and expensive shit so I can move around lighter, I want something non-precious but not total garbage. Macs are too expensive, I quite like Lenovo and Dell but it's an absolute mess tying to decode their models. I've been out of the loop with laptops since 2011 when Compaq was still a thing.

Don't mind bigger screens or heavier devices, just preferably no wind tunnel fan.

edit: any thoughts on the ThinkPad E590 (w/ 550X)?

EDIT2: I went for the Lenovo L340 Ideapad gaming version, 15 inch, $1395.
    Last edited by Ammonite; 14th August 2019 at 7:36 pm.

2. Post
    Lmao really no thoughts here?

I discounted the E590 because the 550X is gimped.

3. Post
    Ammonite wrote:
    Lmao really no thoughts here?

I discounted the E590 because the 550X is gimped.
    You sound like you'll be hard to please.

"Doesn't need a good GPU"
    "I don't want this one because the not-good GPU is not good"

"Can't make lots of noise" which better GPUs will do.

"Getting rid of heavy stuff but I don't mind it being heavy"

Based on what you've said, I'd suggest working out what the minimum GPU you'll be happy with, then going from there. I would have personally suggested Ryzen something running on an IGP but I don't think that will meet you "Light gaming on low settings but powerful GPU" requirement.

I'm about to have a casing damaged MSI GS40 you can take for $900 if you want it. GTX 970, i7-6700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD.

I bought it to drive 2x 4K displays but discovered afterwards that it can only do 1x 4K60p and the other 4K30p max. So I've gone back to my gaming desktop and just dual booting an Ubuntu build for work, with Windows for play.

One of these dealios:
    https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GS40-6QE-.../Specification

4. Post
    Maybe I explained it poorly. Let me break it down.

suntoucher wrote:
    You sound like you'll be hard to please.
    "Doesn't need a good GPU"
    "I don't want this one because the not-good GPU is not good"
    I didn't say either of those things. I need something that can play old Source games but can have a good crack at newer titles. Stuff like Portal 2 or low-medium settings on Civ would be nice, or low settings on Fortnite so I can run around at 40+fps. I don't know how capable integrated graphics is these days so I wouldn't even know how to narrow it down, but I suspect it shouldn't be a big ask.

The E590 concerns me because, from what I understand, it is gimped and it can't sustain frames due to poor thermals. There seems to be a lot of complaints and concerns about the performance of it on the Lenovo forums. Maybe a gimped 550X is still adequate for what I've described, but I'd be nervous to take the risk. What do you think?

suntoucher wrote:
    "Can't make lots of noise" which better GPUs will do.
    Well when I said "wind tunnel fan" I was alluding to the way some laptops have very loud fans, probably from bad thermals. There is a middle ground between silent and deafening, no? Some laptops have fan controls for this too.

suntoucher wrote:
    "Getting rid of heavy stuff but I don't mind it being heavy"
    I'm happy for chunkier machines, don't really care about thin and light, but yes I have a limit. I guess 15" would be max, not overly concerned about the weight as long as I can carry it in a bag.

Thanks for the offer on yours but I'd rather go new for longevity sake.

5. Post
    Ammonite wrote:
    Civ
    I can still play Civ IV on my Pentium M/ATI Radeon 7500 32MB - 2003 T41

6. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    I can still play Civ IV on my Pentium M/ATI Radeon 7500 32MB - 2003 T41
    Ok

7. Post
    Just in case anyone cares, I went for a Lenovo Ideapad L340 gaming version. Stuck with the cheaper i5/8gb tier but went for a 256gb SSD. Came in at $1392 NZD (incl tax and shipping). Picked it because of the great price, dedicated GPU, balanced specs, and it is fairly understated for an alleged gaming laptop. Has a quiet mode setting on the fan too.
    Last edited by Ammonite; 16th August 2019 at 5:03 pm.

8. Post
    Where'd you get it from?

9. Post
    Direct from Lenovo at a discount.