1. Post
    BaggyGreens wrote:
    Smith really is remarkable though. He didn't even visibly care at missing out on the hundred. He looked more than satisfied with his innings.

I read it that he played like that as quick runs were the order of the day after we failed to enforce the follow on. As not doing so would have reduced the time we had to bowl them out.
    He was playing tennis, and not playing cricket. He mocked the bowlers. England beat the follow on, but Smith mocked them. I cannot describe that batting display any other way. He just took the piss the whole time. I wanna say it was arrogant, but he backed it up. It was disdainful. In the max.

2. Post
    Yeehahh finally we win the little urn in enemy territory. I am going to savor this sweet as victory.
    Last edited by BaggyGreens; 9th September 2019 at 1:53 pm.

3. Post
    A poor showing by our batsmen in the Ashes has identified serious cracks that need to be rectified before our summer tests.

Warner 61@9.8. Does he have sufficient credit in the bank to remain. 2/10. Is on egg shells.

Bancroft: 44 @11. At least he hung a round and took some shine off the new ball. But he has a technical flaw. Needs more time in FC.

Harris: 46 @11.5. Again he failed to get any starts of substance. 3/10. Needs more time in FC.

Khawaja: 122 @20. Never got out of a canter against the moving Dukes. 4/10. Will play.

Labuchagne: 291 @58. The surprise packet of our side. Showed real character and tenacity and temperament when facing adversity. Great support of our master batsman. 8/10. Will play.

Smith: Not mush more to say. His runs tally and average are astronomical. 10/10. Must play.

Head: 191 @27. Started well then dropped off when some substance was required. 5/10. Needs more time in FC.

Wade: 201 @25. Made no major impact after his ton in first match. Did show some grit in last innings. 6/10. Unsure.
    Paine: Richly deserves to go out his way after leading us to the Ashes.

- - - Updated - - -

Now lets run a ruler over our bowling attack who along with Steven Smith were the reason Oz is now holding the Ashes.

Cummins: 4 -24 @17.3 . Simple. Cummo lived up to his reputation as the current worlds best bowler. 9/10

Hazlewood: 3-18 @ 16.8 The big Tamworth quick showed he has learnt from 2015 debut Ashes with a display of quality seam bowling. 8/10.

Lyon: 4-16 @36. other than his first test the GOAT never lived up to his reputation. 5/10

Pattinson: 2-5 @33. Below expectations 4/10

Siddle: 2-5 @36. His usual wholehearted effort. But lacked penetration. Time for greener pasture Sids. 4/10

Starc: 1-4 @31 Other than one spell he was largely ineffective. Ave @31 s/r 57. He does tho have this nagging ability to produce a wicket from nothing and usually when needed. 5/10.
    Last edited by BaggyGreens; 11th September 2019 at 5:02 pm.

4. Post
    Saw this vid a while ago.

Goes a fair way to explaining the attitude and intelligence that informs his batting.

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...d-of-the-ashes

Like a lot of batsmen he likes to walk across in front of his stumps, but unlike them he makes sure he hits the ball.

5. Post
    Zarkov wrote:

Goes a fair way to explaining the attitude and intelligence that informs his batting.

Like a lot of batsmen he likes to walk across in front of his stumps, but unlike them he makes sure he hits the ball.
    Graeme SMith was front of stumps, Steve SMith is walking way past his stumps..

6. Post
    Zarkov wrote:

I've seen it too. A rare insite into what makes this batting genius tick.

7. Post
    BaggyGreens wrote:
    Yeehahh finally we win the little urn in enemy territory. I am going to savor this sweet as victory.
    So do Aus now goto 4th behind Ind, NZ and SA? Or are they still behind England?

I just checked. If England win the next test, they stay 4th.

But if its a draw, then Aus though tied in points, edges ahead of England on differential into 4th.

8. Post
    BaggyGreens wrote:
    Congrats Baggy, top series win over the arrogant poms mate

9. Post
    signman wrote:
    Congrats Baggy, top series win over the arrogant poms mate
    Sure was signman. Well technically we have not won it as yet.. retained it. So the Baggies will be champing at the bit to win at The Oval.

10. Post
    BaggyGreens wrote:
    Sure was signman. Well technically we have not won it as yet.. retained it. So the Baggies will be champing at the bit to win at The Oval.
    Yeah, will be the icing on the cake if your blokes win at the Oval.

Mate, the poms would be insufferable if they'd won both the Ashes & ODI WC, they were very lucky to win the latter.

11. Post
    signman wrote:
    Yeah, will be the icing on the cake if your blokes win at the Oval.

Mate, the poms would be insufferable if they'd won both the Ashes & ODI WC, they were very lucky to win the latter.
    The Black Caps were robbed mate. Looking forward to having your BC in Oz this summer. Seems an age since they were last here. We are cuzzies after all.

12. Post
    Mitchell Marsh > Head lol you have got to be kidding

13. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Mitchell Marsh > Head lol you have got to be kidding
    He may surprise us all. Had a good tour match with bat and ball. Head started the series well but has petered out and is next to useless now.

14. Post
    BaggyGreens wrote:
    He may surprise us all. Had a good tour match with bat and ball. Head started the series well but has petered out and is next to useless now.
    2 bad tests is harsh to drop. The bowlers will enjoy the break in workload if the England batting line up actually have a miracle and bat 80+ overs, but very harsh on Head.

15. Post
    BaggyGreens wrote:
    The Black Caps were robbed mate. Looking forward to having your BC in Oz this summer. Seems an age since they were last here. We are cuzzies after all.
    Looking forward to the 3 test series in Aussie as well Baggy, 1st test starts on the 12th Dec... yeah, we should be playing against your cricket team much more mate, we're only across the ditch from each other, both countries are very competitive in all sports.

16. Post
    Australia opt to bowl.

17. Post
    nice catch p diddle
    nice catch t pain

18. Post
    Did Bairstow get bowled or LBW?

Yes

19. Post
    <N> wrote:
    Did Bairstow get bowled or LBW?

Yes
    lol. He is avergaing 26 since 1 Jan 2018. He's gotta be dropped, they should not reasonably leave Pope out much longer. Buttler can keep, or Foakes comes in as well.

1 Burns 2 ???Hasan Azad perhaps? 3 Root 4 Stokes 5 Pope 6 Buttler 7 Foakes+ 8 Curran/Woakes 9 Archer 10 Broad 11 Anderson

It's still crap but at least it gives Pope a chance.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=batting

Look at how dismal this England batting group is and has been.

20. Post
    Well Marsh made a fool of me...TBH I was thinking of his batting when I rubbished his selection

21. Post
    Indigo1 wrote:
    Well Marsh made a fool of me...TBH I was thinking of his batting when I rubbished his selection
    He was swinging it beautifully, but he won't be using the dukes ball a hell of a lot so he will dine out on this performance for years... especially if he gets runs.

22. Post
    Paddles wrote:
    Aus team basically announced.

Harris v Bancroft for the opener spot with Warner. Bancroft fancied.

Pattinson a certain starter. About time.

Interestingly, Siddle, Starc and Haze are said to be fighting for one spot. Wow. So much for the best 3 quicks in the world.

Wade, this to me is huge, Wade, will bat 6. Aus are flagging the allrounder. Completely. I said above I would do this. They're actually going to do it.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...rst-ashes-test
    Warner is purely out of form.

23. Post
    Warner has been out in single figures eight times out of nine. Two other openers have failed apace. Usman Khawaja, who could have opened, had already been dropped from No 3. Travis Head at No 5 was punted while Matthew Wade bashed one declaration hundred but has not looked reliable at the crease. Tim Paine has produced one defiant innings from No 7 but needed more.

24. Post
    coopersnack wrote:
    Warner is purely out of form.
    Had a poor record in England to start with. A shocking record now. But you watch CA will pick him for our summer and he will make merry on our flat drop-ins. Then all will be forgiven.

25. Post
    Not a lot in this deck now for the quicks. Can our tweakers spin a web around England? Wanna see a decent bowl from Labuchagne.