1. Post

What to look for when buying a Cube?

I know they are pretty popular here so maybe people have some good advice !!!!

2. Post
    A square car.

3. Post
    Yussssssssssssssssss

Don't buy a 1.5l (they only come with the cvt box)
    Don't buy a 1.4l with a cvt

Buy a cube3

Look after it, check if it has a service history, make sure the coolant is happy. The biggest failure is the cvt box (do not buy one with a cvt, I can't emphasise this enough) or they overheat/pop head gaskets due to dropped cylinder sleeves

4. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    Yussssssssssssssssss

Don't buy a 1.5l (they only come with the cvt box)
    Don't buy a 1.4l with a cvt

Buy a cube3

Look after it, check if it has a service history, make sure the coolant is happy. The biggest failure is the cvt box (do not buy one with a cvt, I can't emphasise this enough) or they overheat/pop head gaskets due to dropped cylinder sleeves
    Damn haha I was gonna go look at this one https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Lis...?id=2250746223
    He seems pretty keen to get rid of it...maybe that is why !

5. Post
    Not convinced that one is actually cvt, it's a 1.4 and doesn't have any of the usual cvt model features in the interior. That one may just be a case of owner doesn't know better so didn't correct the guy in the questions

6. Post
    St4lk3r wrote:
    Not convinced that one is actually cvt, it's a 1.4 and doesn't have any of the usual cvt model features in the interior. That one may just be a case of owner doesn't know better so didn't correct the guy in the questions
    Do you know if I went to look at it how to check?

7. Post
    NOMIS wrote:
    Do you know if I went to look at it how to check?
    Steering wheel shift controls would be the easiest quick glance thing, the next and most definitive would be look at the build plate in the engine bay under gearbox code and lastly drive it, if it revs up to like 3-4krpm and just stays there no matter the speed it's probably a cvt, the non cvt actual autos have a very distinct gear change and rev change between gears

Prepare to be dissapointed by the power, they are not a weapon of mass destruction, even with coilovers and semi slicks they still handle like a brick, just a slightly better turning brick

8. Post
    By all means flick me a pm when you go to look at it and if I'm not driving I'll flick you my number or whatever if you have questions

9. Post
    Oh and Impul still make a bolt on supercharger kit for them

10. Post
    Not sure how accurate this page is, driving it will let you know for sure. But this could be promising.
    https://carfromjapan.com/specifications/nissan/cube

DBA-BZ11 should be the 4 speed auto, CVT options look to have chassis' starting with DBA-Y
    (carjam'd)

11. Post
    Firewall rust.

Head gasket failure.

Elec power steering conking out.

12. Post
    Probably also practice telling your parents you are gay, that is going to be the hardest part.

13. Post
    At what point did the Nissan CVTs become okay to buy? Or are the ones coupled to their small engines still to be avoided?

14. Post
    dickytim wrote:
    Probably also practice telling your parents you are gay, that is going to be the hardest part.
    Yea, we don't talk like that in here so keep it to yourself.

15. Post
    Disinfo wrote:
    At what point did the Nissan CVTs become okay to buy? Or are the ones coupled to their small engines still to be avoided?
    I'm not sure if they ever got good tbh, but I can 100% tell you any cvt bolted to a CR14/15 (so a few different nissans) is ****in garbo and to be avoided at all costs

16. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Not sure how accurate this page is, driving it will let you know for sure. But this could be promising.
    https://carfromjapan.com/specifications/nissan/cube

DBA-BZ11 should be the 4 speed auto, CVT options look to have chassis' starting with DBA-Y
    (carjam'd)
    I think you are right. I looked at a few more on trademe that have a number plate and put them into carjam. I found another one https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...8cfe9a1a27-005 which in carjam lists model code Model Code: DBA-BZ11 and Transmission: 4-gear automatic . Whereas other ones say Model Code: DBA-YZ11 Transmission: CVT

17. Post
    As I said earlier The build plate will have the gearbox model number on it, so if you get to the point of being physically in front of it you can 100% confirm so you're not going to be surprised

18. Post
    So long as someone hasn't swapped the trans

19. Post
    Thankfully it's not that easy.