Hong Kong

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)
Page 7 of 7 First ... 4567

1. Post
    scholar wrote:
    TL;DR: Chinese people like stability, even at the expense of human rights.

But I always come back to the question, if Chinese people like their own system of government so much, why is there so much censorship? I bet that if the average Chinese citizen had an idea of what was really going on, they wouldn't like it so much...
    ...maybe actually read it instead of skimming through it

2. Post
    scholar wrote:
    But I always come back to the question, if Chinese people like their own system of government so much, why is there so much censorship? I bet that if the average Chinese citizen had an idea of what was really going on, they wouldn't like it so much...
    Because to your average Chinese citizen what their government doing is right. Much like how Iraq was justified after 9/11, the whole Uyghur thing is portrayed as a way to combat terrorism see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Kunming_attack

Regarding censorship, all the online platforms banned in China have their own localized clones, so no one cares if they can't use twitter or facebook in China because they have weibo and wechat.

3. Post
    scholar wrote:
    But I always come back to the question, if Chinese people like their own system of government so much, why is there so much censorship?
    I mean the article doesn't sugar-coat it - the government is scared of western ideals gaining a foothold and effecting regime change.

4. Post
    scholar wrote:
    TL;DR: Chinese people like stability, even at the expense of human rights.

The average Chinese totally knows what is censored or not, what actions are permited or not, what is to be said or not. Fairly importaint day to day skill set. They all so apprechiate the meteoric rise of their country like no other in history. They have seen the creation of a middle class in their generation, so accept there are some limits on what's allowed.

There are limits on what we are allowed too, just the goalposts are different there, as they are in the US or any other country.