Results 51 to 75 of 93

  1. Post
    #51
    CODChimera wrote:
    Yeah so if are they willing to get water as a 'premium consumer product' from here which is apparently inconvenient then what will they do when they need water for survival?
    umm... maybe, just maybe, look much closer to home to obtain the massive volumes of water they would need.

    Unless you're positing a post-apocalyptic world where New Zealand is one of the only places with water then our water resources are going to be well down their list of sources.

  2. Post
    #52
    If I think they're getting a raw deal from her majesty, just wait until China takes over.

    Treaty claims will be settled in 30 seconds and involve that mandarin equivalent of the expression "post off c**t!"

  3. Post
    #53
    WillAY wrote:
    umm... maybe, just maybe, look much closer to home to obtain the massive volumes of water they would need.

    Unless you're positing a post-apocalyptic world where New Zealand is one of the only places with water then our water resources are going to be well down their list of sources.
    !remind me 10 years

  4. Post
    #54
    CODChimera wrote:
    Both for surviving? Water is absolutely going to be an issue in our lifetime, you can already see it taking shape...
    Water should never really be an issue. It's not that water is scarce, it's just it's cheaper to pump it from dwindling sources than to build desal plants.

    The moment it becomes an issue they'll just suck it up and build some desal plants. Major engineering works aren't really a drama for China.

    It's the same reason coal and gas is still used to generate power. It's an economic choice, not an insurmountable problem.

  5. Post
    #55
    CODChimera wrote:
    !remind me 10 years
    That's your timeline?! Wow.

  6. Post
    #56
    Please type 'water scarcity china' in google and read.

    And many of that is not even factoring in India and the Middle East countries that are already extremely high risk. Where do you think those people are going to go when those regions run out of water?

  7. Post
    #57
    You seem confused. I'm not saying that China is not going to have water scarcity issues. I'm not even saying that China won't use it's clout to obtain water from others. I'm arguing against your belief that China's solution to their water scarcity is going to come and take it from New Zealand.

  8. Post
    #58
    We should wrap this sub topic debate up soon, you both make solid points.

    What's going on in Hong Kong at the moment, are there still protesters holding up in the airport?

  9. Post
    #59
    WillAY wrote:
    You seem confused. I'm not saying that China is not going to have water scarcity issues. I'm not even saying that China won't use it's clout to obtain water from others. I'm arguing against your belief that China's solution to their water scarcity is going to come and take it from New Zealand.
    Ok well now you're not even reading the thread properly.

    When faced with disaster people don't sit still and die, they move. This is a well researched pattern and has happened many times throughout history and happens this very day. China are already preparing, why else do you think they are expanding in the only direction they can? for resources.

    This shit isn't rocket science

    BattleCrap wrote:
    We should wrap this sub topic debate up soon, you both make solid points.

    What's going on in Hong Kong at the moment, are there still protesters holding up in the airport?
    I mean it is related because any resistance to China is good for us but apparently that isn't glaringly obvious ??

  10. Post
    #60
    Hold on. China is expanding? In what way? How are they limited to only one direction?

    Is your argument simply that China is going to invade... everywhere (in one direction) in pursuit of resources? Or are they going to bypass / ignore their neighbors and come straight for New Zealand's sweet sweet water and land?

    So many questions.

  11. Post
    #61
    i'm fairly confident desalination will be the answer - some interesting tech is on the horizon.

  12. Post
    #62
    WillAY wrote:
    Hold on. China is expanding? In what way? How are they limited to only one direction?

    Is your argument simply that China is going to invade... everywhere (in one direction) in pursuit of resources? Or are they going to bypass / ignore their neighbors and come straight for New Zealand's sweet sweet water and land?

    So many questions.
    =|

  13. Post
    #63
    CODChimera wrote:
    =|
    I'm genuinely interested in your answers.

  14. Post
    #64
    Yes china is expanding, south pacific sea(concerning many regional nations) building artificial islands and military bases and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_and_Road_Initiative, limited in one direction as in the seas and not any of the neighbouring connected countries(but maybe they are doing that as well idk, I know they have part of kashmir?)

    Like how do you not know any of this?

    sorceror wrote:
    i'm fairly confident desalination will be the answer - some interesting tech is on the horizon.
    i'm looking up this now, anything specific?

  15. Post
    #65
    CODChimera wrote:
    Yes china is expanding, south pacific sea(concerning many regional nations) building artificial islands and military bases and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_and_Road_Initiative, limited in one direction as in the seas and not any of the neighbouring connected countries(but maybe they are doing that as well idk, I know they have part of kashmir?)

    Like how do you not know any of this?
    Ok, thanks for the explanation.

    So, beginning to tie this back to our discussion...

    Are you still arguing that China, due to water (and other resource?) scarcity is going to take this water (and other resources?) from New Zealand, and that a 10 year timeline is what you envisage for this to take place?

  16. Post
    #66
    I don't think the protests are futile at all. The umbrella movement was successful in making some changes mostly around compulsory schooling. They're a doco on Joshua Wong well worth a watch who started that protest.

    And the current protests have been successful in that the extradition bill has been put on hold although it took 2m people marching to make it happen. But it still hasn't been withdrawn which is a key part of the protests. Carrie lam hasn't got Beijing approval to do that. She is an appointed leader by China so doesn't actually have any real autonomy it seems. Even reports that mainlanders are being recruited into the police force.
    It looks like she had no control over police either. After the triad attack where the police walked away for nearly an hour and stopped no one the police said they were not all fault. Then the deputy ce apologised for the polices mistake and the police chief basically told him off in public.

    What they want is universal suffrage which was promised to them by China but then they changed their minds.
    I love HK and I think it's more Chinese than China who destroyed their cultural heritage in the revolution and dumbed down their writing system and forced the harsh ugly sounding putinghua on everyone to the extent that a lot of older languages are dying including Cantonese.

  17. Post
    #67
    ^^agreed

    WillAY wrote:
    Ok, thanks for the explanation.

    So, beginning to tie this back to our discussion...

    Are you still arguing that China, due to water (and other resource?) scarcity is going to take this water (and other resources?) from New Zealand, and that a 10 year timeline is what you envisage for this to take place?
    Yes. Why are you even arguing when you were unsure if China is expanding?

    In 10 years you won't be arguing because Chinas expansion plans along with the state of the country, the region and the world as a whole, will be obvious. But then again it's pretty obvious right now and yet here we are. That _isn't_ saying China will take over NZ in ten years or whatever you're implying.

  18. Post
    #68
    China will grow larger

  19. Post
    #69
    hoe_rag wrote:
    I don't think the protests are futile at all.
    Sure, there have been some "gains" but with 2047 rumbling closer it's ultimately going to be for naught, and not without personal cost to the individuals protesting.

    hoe_rag wrote:
    forced the harsh ugly sounding putinghua on everyone to the extent that a lot of older languages are dying including Cantonese.
    Total tangent, but I've never understood the intrinsic value that people place on a language (possibly by virtue / luxury of speaking English in an English speaking country). The utility in a language is communication and anything beyond that is a distant second. Having a universal language in a given area (China in this case) just seems to make sense. Regional dialects can continue, but on the strength of their utility for communication.

    Odd criticism that they have "dumbed down their writing system", "simplified" is a much more appropriate term. Making your script less complicated (fewer strokes) seems both practical and sensible.

    Clearly i'm not overly sentimental towards cultural traditions.

  20. Post
    #70
    Looks like the Brotherhood of Nod China have knocked up a War Factory Peace Factory in Shenzhen.
    Name:  index.jpeg
Views: 153
Size:  10.8 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	227018
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	227019

  21. Post
    #71
    suntoucher wrote:
    Looks like the Brotherhood of Nod China have knocked up a War Factory Peace Factory in Shenzhen.
    Name:  index.jpeg
Views: 153
Size:  10.8 KB
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	227018
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	227019
    Love the C N C references

  22. Post
    #72
    SL1CKSTA wrote:
    China will grow larger
    Come on bro surely you have my back! You're like the 'we need guns' guy around here

  23. Post
    #73
    CODChimera wrote:
    Come on bro surely you have my back! You're like the 'we need guns' guy around here
    Sorry I was meming just come to mind every time I hear someone say it.

    I honestly do not know enough about the water shortage to comment

    I would go so far as to say while forign investment is a good thing for the most part we need to make sure it is not damaging our local interests.

  24. Post
    #74
    CODChimera wrote:
    Yes. Why are you even arguing when you were unsure if China is expanding?

    In 10 years you won't be arguing because Chinas expansion plans along with the state of the country, the region and the world as a whole, will be obvious. But then again it's pretty obvious right now and yet here we are. That _isn't_ saying China will take over NZ in ten years or whatever you're implying.
    When did I say I was unsure? I was seeking clarification from you as to what you meant. Seemed prudent given the apparent discord between our two arguments. If you want to wrongly conflate that with me not knowing, then go for it.

    Well, I agree, China will continue to expand (though China would say they're merely reasserting areas to which they have a historic claim) in the South-China sea, and will continue (as do all countries) to make bilateral deals with countries to sure up their access to natural resources / ports / trade etc.

    I think it far less likely, though entirely possible, that China invades neighboring countries in an effort to prop up their resource count, and would suggest they have several directions (not one) in which they could employ this strategy.

    What I continue to believe is highly improbable is that New Zealand will be anywhere near the proverbial firing line, nor represent any sort of strategic goal for this Chinese acquisition of resources, and that we're singled out for our water resources especially improbable.

  25. Post
    #75
    WillAY wrote:
    When did I say I was unsure? I was seeking clarification from you as to what you meant. Seemed prudent given the apparent discord between our two arguments. If you want to wrongly conflate that with me not knowing, then go for it.

    Well, I agree, China will continue to expand (though China would say they're merely reasserting areas to which they have a historic claim) in the South-China sea, and will continue (as do all countries) to make bilateral deals with countries to sure up their access to natural resources / ports / trade etc.

    I think it far less likely, though entirely possible, that China invades neighboring countries in an effort to prop up their resource count, and would suggest they have several directions (not one) in which they could employ this strategy.

    What I continue to believe is highly improbable is that New Zealand will be anywhere near the proverbial firing line, nor represent any sort of strategic goal for this Chinese acquisition of resources, and that we're singled out for our water resources especially improbable.
    Hence the 'yeah I guess we'll see who's right in ten years' comment