Hong Kong

Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
(1 vote)

1. Post
    Bobs wrote:
    And this is why it's important to get both points of view in reporting. Something that is lacking these days.
    Then how could we possibly have outcry which generates clicks?

2. Post
    So China got Blizzard to fire some pro player and commentators because they supported the HK protesters. And they got the NBA to withdraw that post in support of them too.

Money speaks louder than human rights.

3. Post
    The last episode of South Park took a good swipe at China/money issue. All things SP were immediately banned in China, probably just as Matt and Trey intended expected.
    Last edited by Caffeine; 9th October 2019 at 11:48 am. Reason: Semantics

4. Post
    s0cks wrote:
    So China got Blizzard to fire some pro player and commentators because they supported the HK protesters. And they got the NBA to withdraw that post in support of them too.

Money speaks louder than human rights.
    Basically, they banned the winning player for talking about the Hong Kong protest in his interview, and they also took his prize money. The interviewers didn't engage with that at all, but were both dropped by Blizzard anyway. There's heaps of drama on Reddit about it today.

The NBA thing swung a bit back in the right direction with Adam Silver tweeting that the NBA won't be censoring anyone on stuff like this.

5. Post
    I see HK supporters are trying to turn Chinese censorship against Blizzard by turning Overwatch's Mei into a "**** China" icon. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

6. Post
    GaR wrote:
    Basically, they banned the winning player for talking about the Hong Kong protest in his interview, and they also took his prize money. The interviewers didn't engage with that at all, but were both dropped by Blizzard anyway. There's heaps of drama on Reddit about it today.

The NBA thing swung a bit back in the right direction with Adam Silver tweeting that the NBA won't be censoring anyone on stuff like this.
    Penalising the player I can understand - shouldn't bring politics into the arena. Its irrelevant. But firing the commentators who had no control over what the player said is beyond stupid of Blizzard.

Theres theories bouncing around that Blizzard are going to announce a bunch of stuff originally intended for Blizzcon early to distract everyone from the incident.

7. Post
    their code of conduct is deliberately vague as well as basically anything you do that might cramp our ability to make money = bad. But yeah it is all about the green.

even money some folk will chant free Hong Kong at Blizzcon

8. Post
    Bloody wrote:
    even money some folk will chant free Hong Kong at Blizzcon
    I'm excited for the inevitable Q&A where someone will lie about their question, get up on stage, and say something about Hong Kong and/or the incident.

9. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Penalising the player I can understand - shouldn't bring politics into the arena. Its irrelevant. But firing the commentators who had no control over what the player said is beyond stupid of Blizzard.
    apparently one of the commentators kinda egged him on to say the '8 words'

10. Post
    sorceror wrote:
    apparently one of the commentators kinda egged him on to say the '8 words'
    If thats really what happened then fair enough. All I've been able to find is hearsay since I don't speak chinese so can't translate the original interview for myself.

11. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Penalising the player I can understand - shouldn't bring politics into the arena. Its irrelevant.
    Why does it have to be relevant? Surely supporting human rights and democracy should always be allowed. I somehow doubt he'd have faced any backlash from Blizzard if he said he supported Trump or Xi.

12. Post
    Caffeine wrote:
    The last episode of South Park took a good swipe at China/money issue. All things SP were immediately banned in China, probably just as Matt and Trey intended expected.
    Knowing Matt and Treys political philosophy it was probably partly a shout out to HK protesters it got heaps of upvotes on the HK subreddit when it was released.

13. Post
    Now Apple bends the knee

Though they did approve that HK protesters app.

14. Post
    I'd highly suggest you watch the actual video for yourselves.

It was clearly pre-planned amongst the 3 of them - the casters are very aware of what is about to come, and aside from egging him on to say it, they were all laughing about it as well. When they were supposed to be working instead of soapboxing on someone else's dime and stream.

I'm honestly not surprised they got fired. If any of them had done this outside of their jobs, Blizzard wouldn't have a problem - they weren't banned and fired simply for having those views. Regardless of how terrible the situation in HK might be, it's highly unprofessional of them and there's a time and a place for that sort of thing - not suddenly and without approval on your employer's platform. It's really quite simple and I'm amazed everyone seems to be ignoring this aspect of it.

15. Post
    is that what's happening to uighur muslims too?
    millions of people just soapboxed too hard?

16. Post
    serious>klown wrote:
    is that what's happening to uighur muslims too?
    millions of people just soapboxed too hard?
    What a retarded thing to say.

17. Post
    Orz wrote:
    I'd highly suggest you watch the actual video for yourselves.

It was clearly pre-planned amongst the 3 of them - the casters are very aware of what is about to come, and aside from egging him on to say it, they were all laughing about it as well. When they were supposed to be working instead of soapboxing on someone else's dime and stream.

I'm honestly not surprised they got fired. If any of them had done this outside of their jobs, Blizzard wouldn't have a problem - they weren't banned and fired simply for having those views. Regardless of how terrible the situation in HK might be, it's highly unprofessional of them and there's a time and a place for that sort of thing - not suddenly and without approval on your employer's platform. It's really quite simple and I'm amazed everyone seems to be ignoring this aspect of it.
    When exactly is the right time to bring up peoples rights?

18. Post
    Orz wrote:
    What a retarded thing to say.
    Yet it's not retarded to say that fighting for human rights on your employers time is unacceptable?
    What kind of freaking dystopia do we now live in?

We all know why Blizzard actually did this... $$$$$$$$$$$

19. Post
    Israel Folau using his platform to tell the gays they’re going to hell: bad
    Player using his/Blizzards platform to spread the message about Hong Kong: good

Fwiw, I think Blitzchung is a hero and Folau is a ****, but even I’ve got to admit there’s an essential hypocrisy there to noodle on.

20. Post
    Orz wrote:
    If any of them had done this outside of their jobs, Blizzard wouldn't have a problem - they weren't banned and fired simply for having those views.
    I am curious what you base this on ? - Have they stated specifically they wouldn't take action for players or casters that hold certain views broadcasting said views outside of their event operations or are there obvious cases where this occurred and no action was taken?

21. Post
    frio wrote:
    Israel Folau using his platform to tell the gays they’re going to hell: bad
    Player using his/Blizzards platform to spread the message about Hong Kong: good

Fwiw, I think Blitzchung is a hero and Folau is a ****, but even I’ve got to admit there’s an essential hypocrisy there to noodle on.
    Indeed, however Folau was at least given a second chance, I dont think the commentators have been have they?

Also one atagonist is fighting for human rights, and the other is kind of doing the opposite.

22. Post
    Hate speech is equivalent to advocating for freedom and democracy now?

23. Post
    I think his beliefs are hateful and I think he’s a ****, but there are plenty enough of the global population who’d think he’s just being a good, morally upstanding Christian (though no doubt he probably wears clothes made of mixed material, the ****). I know it’s a bad equivocation but it’s hard to reconcile my belief that one dude using the platform someone else built for him is good and the other is bad, based purely on the content of the message.

24. Post
    I guess the thing is Folau went to tribunal or court before he was fired. And it was actually his second chance.

The gamer was just ousted (at least from what we know). There was no censuring or whatever. At least that's where I have an issue. Not specifically the firing.

25. Post
    South Parks apology

Name:  EGS6BaHVUAEjRaL.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  311.3 KB