Page 4 of 4 First 1234

1. Post
    That's it?

2. Post
    WillAY wrote:
    Sure, there have been some "gains" but with 2047 rumbling closer it's ultimately going to be for naught, and not without personal cost to the individuals protesting.
    Thats still a while away and in the meantime the people in HK are showing clearly they wont roll over quietly and cow to Beijing. Which is a massive problem for China especially when a simple change like a change in the law makes millions of them march in the streets. The people there will not go down without a fight and HK is so important that Beijing cant really afford to make a mistake. Its not like a small city in the mainland where they could just send in the army and lock up a few million of them for reeducation like the Uighers.

China wont be bringing tanks into HK its the financial centre of china and estimated that 70% of foreign investment into china flows through HK so its pretty important hub for china as well as SE asia. If they brought tanks and checkpoints into the city foreign flows would dry up, foreign firms would flee and the the city would be crippled. Right now the police are being abused by ordinary citizens not just protesters which is a major change as they were known as the pride of asia or something like that. So if mainland pla walks into HK they wont be welcomed I could imagine them having stuff thrown at them from buildings by residents. Not to mention the capital flight risk and international condemnations.

China also wants to reunity Taiwan peacefully. Sending the PLA into HK will make that a very unlikely prospect.

2047 is a long way off but my guess is if the CCP hasnt been overthrown by then HK will continue to have a certain amount of autonomy if it retains its strategic and financial importance.

Total tangent, but I've never understood the intrinsic value that people place on a language (possibly by virtue / luxury of speaking English in an English speaking country). The utility in a language is communication and anything beyond that is a distant second. Having a universal language in a given area (China in this case) just seems to make sense. Regional dialects can continue, but on the strength of their utility for communication.

Odd criticism that they have "dumbed down their writing system", "simplified" is a much more appropriate term. Making your script less complicated (fewer strokes) seems both practical and sensible.

Clearly i'm not overly sentimental towards cultural traditions.
    Language is part of a persons culture and identity. And the CCP hates individual identity and diversity they want everyone to be the same thats why mandarin is forced on the whole of china. Agree theres no problem having a lingua franca but they are actively stamping out those regional languages and dialects so they can impose their approved identity framework on the whole country.

With the writing system it was designed to make writing more easy and accessible to peasants. Which is fine but again its the use of force to remove other alternatives which makes it end up being a bad thing. Its the same thing as how speaking Maori was banned in schools in NZ.

3. Post
    hoe_rag wrote:
    Beijing cant really afford to make a mistake. Its not like a small city in the mainland where they could just send in the army and lock up a few million of them for reeducation like the Uighers...
    You're right. Hong Kong is an important city, both globally and to China. However, it is increasingly becoming less important. in 1997 Hong Kong was China's largest city and represented about 20% of China's total GDP. Today it represents 3%, and is smaller in terms of GDP than Beijing, Shanghai, and Shenzhen (HK is still the highest per capita) and as we get closer to 2047 other Chinese cities are on track to surpass Hong Kong.

Protests such as what we have been seeing demonstrate that Hong Kong is not stable and that there is potential for further difficulties which will disrupt business.

Therefore, I argue, that this armor which protects Hong Kong is being eroded by the natural growth of Mainland Chinese cities as well as by the internal instability that these protests demonstrate.

Couple this eroding armor with the infiltration (and blatant appointment) of officials loyal to Beijing and come 2047 there may not be a whole lot of meaningful entitlements left to take away, and I highly doubt that the CCP (admittedly, assuming they're still running things) would miss the symbolic opportunity to fully reunify Hong Kong with China.

hoe_rag wrote:
    China also wants to reunity Taiwan peacefully. Sending the PLA into HK will make that a very unlikely prospect.
    I think China has as much chance of a peaceful reunification as these protesters have of winning Independence.

Also, looks increasingly likely that the detentions, and public sentiment (as well as "victory" in some respects) are slowing down this round of protests so I think PLA deployment is looking less likely.

hoe_rag wrote:
    Agree theres no problem having a lingua franca but they are actively stamping out those regional languages and dialects so they can impose their approved identity framework on the whole country.
    It's my understanding that while Mandarin is solely taught in schools, it's less that local dialects are being actively stamped out (maybe with the exception up in Xinjiang), and more that they are not encouraged and therefore their utility is dwindling, only serving to hasten the decline.

4. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    i'm looking up this now, anything specific?
    look into using graphene oxide "sieves" for desalination - very promising stuff.

better methods will be discovered as more and more investment goes into the whole industry - it's been growing exponentially but hasn't been around very long:

5. Post
    WillAY wrote:
    That's it?
    Well most of it is just our predictions for the future and I get the sense you're someone who thinks business as usual is going to continue whereas I think global devestation is on the horizon and ties into China aggressively seeking out new resources.

Re: the 'one direction' thing, I don't really think that they do have many other options, especially right now because obviously that would devolve into full on war pretty quickly and there's still a relative amount of global stability. Russia and Europe have nukes, India and Pakistan have nukes plus both of those countries(and really the whole of the Middle East) will be the next countries to collapse and not to mention full of areas that people just _cannot_ live in due to the extreme heat. SEA is going to be under water and anywhere that's not will be overrun with refugees. Iirc China has also been investing in infrastructure in Africa but that may not pay off. I have no idea what goes on in Mongolia.

I guess I just don't understand why you have a hard time believing something like this could happen. It's the same principle as the US blowing up countries in the Middle East for oil. Hell with the way things are going the US could beat them to it lol. I'm not saying that 100% china are going to invade NZ run for the hills, and if I did then that's my fault, but I certainly think it's not unrealistic at all unless the path we are on changes. Stuff like what sorcerer said would help to change that path.

6. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    Well most of it is just our predictions for the future and I get the sense you're someone who thinks business as usual is going to continue whereas I think global devestation is on the horizon and ties into China aggressively seeking out new resources.
    I think that's reasonably fair.

I guess I see the continued Chinese expansion (once they have secured the territories they see themselves as having a "historical claim" to) more by way of leveraging their economic clout (and military might) for favorable trade agreements and by way of direct investment rather than the conquest model.

CODChimera wrote:
    I guess I just don't understand why you have a hard time believing something like this could happen.
    It's not that I don't think it could happen, but I just think it highly unlikely. Like I said at the start, both my kids are fluent Mandarin speakers...

7. Post
    CODChimera wrote:
    I would suggest you spend a bit less time focusing on end of the world shit or your mental will deteriorate

8. Post
    Timmi wrote:
    I would suggest you spend a bit less time focusing on end of the world shit or your mental will deteriorate
    Yeah that is good advice thanks.

9. Post
    Feel bad for Hong Kong. We all know that it's a city with a bad future, once 2047 rolls around they have no more protection than any other Chinese province. And one suspects they will be punished for any dissident behavior once that date rolls around. China is a nasty shit country, I would be ditching HK if I lived there and had the means to do so.

10. Post

11. Post
    police denied firing tear gas from height

https://imgur.com/gallery/BiiNqZv?

12. Post
    Kog wrote:
    police denied firing tear gas from height

https://imgur.com/gallery/BiiNqZv?
    That's the triads dude, the triads are definitely shit stirring to get the bill quashed, coz they know they'll be given the death penalty if sent to the mainland.

13. Post
    Timmi wrote:
    At some point we won't have a choice.

14. Post
    inevitable aptitude isn't aptitude of the evitable

15. Post
    Does that even make sense in your head

16. Post
    Smoke weed until you die

17. Post
    you don't deal with dying, by finding ways not to die.

18. Post
    Memento mori, suckers.