1. Post

Recipes with non-perishables

I have a bit of a challenge for you all. Where I currently live, I don't have a freezer, and power is very unreliable (I usually have power for 3-4 days a week), so I can't really rely on the fridge for much other than keeping water cold.

I've been cooking a lot of toast, eggs and pasta with canned sauce etc, with some steamed veges, but I'm getting pretty sick of the same things.

I'm after some decent recipes using ingredients that aren't perishable - ideally vegetarian (not because I am, but rather the meat is a bit dodgy at the best of times and I have no way of freezing it). Vegetables are pretty easy to get hold of, but they're also quite a decent distance from where I live, and I don't really want to be going to buy ingredients more than once a week, so they'd have to be vegetables that last a few days.

Hit me with your best recipes using ingredients that aren't perishable! I have lots of access to rice and beans especially.

EDIT: Also, to complicate things, I only have a twin gas burner - basically a large, fancy camping stove. No oven, microwave etc. Meals that are one-pot would be better, but I'm ok with juggling a few things on and off the stove.

2. Post
    Where the hell are you living now?!

I've found that frittatas are pretty bloody great if you don't have access to a chiller. Soften some small potato chunks, sautee in a pan with preferred spices, add veges of choice (maybe grated carrot for you as carrots keep well out of the fridge) and pour over some scrambled eggs.

3. Post
    A pot-in-poor/zeer refridgerator might be worth considering, if only to extend the life of e.g. leftovers and fresh food.

I'd start pickling/fermenting stuff too - kimchi?

4. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    A pot-in-poor/zeer refridgerator might be worth considering, if only to extend the life of e.g. leftovers and fresh food.

I'd start pickling/fermenting stuff too - kimchi?
    Hmm, I'll look into the zeer fridge - might be onto a winner there. Appreciate the tip. I also love kimchi - didn't realise it was so easy to make, so will look into that. Most of the recipes I've found recommend fermenting it in a fridge - reckon it'd be fine to sit in one without power 50% of the time?

Osiry wrote:
    Where the hell are you living now?!

I've found that frittatas are pretty bloody great if you don't have access to a chiller. Soften some small potato chunks, sautee in a pan with preferred spices, add veges of choice (maybe grated carrot for you as carrots keep well out of the fridge) and pour over some scrambled eggs.
    Up a mountain in Tanzania. Funnily enough one of the main street dishes here is chipsi mayai - literally a chip omelette - so you might be onto something with the frittata idea. I could definitely take that and add various veges to make it healthier.

Will get some difference spices and veg and try it out. Cheers mate.

5. Post
    Can you plant a vege garden?

6. Post
    Maggi onion dip.

7. Post
    Weird question, but do you work for Apopo?

8. Post
    Chili.

Onion, garlic, carrot, capsicum, tomato all last for ages fresh. Plus canned or dried beans, vegetable stock, rice, spices.

You can cook brown rice quite effectively without using too much gas or hogging the stove by soaking it overnight with 2:1 water to rice, boiling it for a bit and then wrapping the pot in a towel/blanket/whatever. Takes the time on the stove from 40 minutes down to under 10, and after sitting there steaming in the blanket for 20 minutes it should be perfect with no water left. As long as you got the ratio and the boil time right.
    Last edited by AgrAde; 14th August 2019 at 4:22 pm.

9. Post
    ^ that method works real good as a ghetto slow cooker too

10. Post
    brand wrote:
    Can you plant a vege garden?
    Potentially. I'm living at my workplace - there's vege gardens here already but their purpose is feeding locals. Will ask if I can claim a corner though. Good idea, thanks!

Rii wrote:
    Maggi onion dip.
    When I last visited NZ back in Dec I literally bought back an entire plastic bag full of Maggi onion soup mix.

Osiry wrote:
    Weird question, but do you work for Apopo?
    Heh, nope, but I can see why you might think that from the list of countries they work in. I'm at the other end of the country. I saw their rats in action in Cambodia though - they're pretty incredible.

AgrAde wrote:
    Chili.

Onion, garlic, carrot, capsicum, tomato all last for ages fresh. Plus canned or dried beans, vegetable stock, rice, spices.

You can cook brown rice quite effectively without using too much gas or hogging the stove by soaking it overnight with 2:1 water to rice, boiling it for a bit and then wrapping the pot in a towel/blanket/whatever. Takes the time on the stove from 40 minutes down to under 10, and after sitting there steaming in the blanket for 20 minutes it should be perfect with no water left. As long as you got the ratio and the boil time right.
    Very interesting, have never heard of this method. I'll give it a go for sure. I'm liking the sound of the ghetto slow cooker as well. I've been looking into methods to bake bread on a faux stovetop dutch oven too - freshly baked bread with chili sounds the business.

Thanks everyone!

11. Post
    https://www.wonderbagworld.com/

(but you could just as easily DIY I reckon, it's just a bag filled with foam chips)

12. Post
    You can buy dried veges you know. Like peas. Normal ones, not split peas (soup)

And a lot of others keep for ages without a fridge. Tomatoes should never be kept in a fridge at all.
    Kumara, onions, potatoes.

Silverbeet and spinach can put put in a jar of water and do ok for 3 days. Ditto spring onions.

Dutch ovens are perfect for that no-knead type bread.