Rabbitohs 13+
    Roosters 1-12
    Dragons 1-12

2. Post
    Hijack, all tickets to the Rabbitohs game on 30th are $9.50

3. Post
    jords wrote:
    Hijack, all tickets to the Rabbitohs game on 30th are $9.50
    "The club’s SuperStore will also be offering a 50% discount on all 2019 merchandise but the deal will be redeemable only for fans at the venue on the night of the South Sydney game."

Pretty good deal too!

4. Post
    going up against arguably the best backline in the comp, gonna be quite the challenge for us

5. Post
    Roosters stacked and healthy, will take a miracle. In saying that I thought we were ****ing toast last week. Way better team and coach and we're away. If we actually win this, that eels game is even more ****ed cause we should be lining up for a shot at the finals.

Wouldn't be surprised if this Roosters team gets pinged in a few years time for salary fraud. Which is kinda funny considering how much better the storm are doing. When you compare our two teams on paper (or almost any team with the roosters that's not a rep side) it's hard to imagine how they could be legitmately under the cap.

The NRL needs to sort the terrible reffing (bias or not they're ****ing up constantly) and the salary cap. Most teams that have won the prem in the last 15 years have been done for salary cap shit. Taking their prems away 5 years later doesn't make it any better.

6. Post
    When you consider Blair makes 800k a year and isn't even good enough to make the Roosters team it's a bit easier to figure out why the Roosters look much better on paper than the Warriors.

It helps when your highest paid players are in key positions and worth their money. And having young stars like Manu and Latrell early in their careers while they are on cheaper deals.

The Warriors will remain up against it in this regard when they aren't developing their own because they need to overpay to get people here. The Roosters don't overpay anyone because people want to play for them.

We really need some more young, elite, homegrown talent coming through that aren't wingers to help us in this regard. We haven't produced **** all for a while in terms of actual top tier talent.

7. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    When you consider Blair makes 800k a year and isn't even good enough to make the Roosters team it's a bit easier to figure out why the Roosters look much better on paper than the Warriors.

It helps when your highest paid players are in key positions and worth their money. And having young stars like Manu and Latrell early in their careers while they are on cheaper deals.

The Warriors will remain up against it in this regard when they aren't developing their own because they need to overpay to get people here. The Roosters don't overpay anyone because people want to play for them.

We really need some more young, elite, homegrown talent coming through that aren't wingers to help us in this regard. We haven't produced **** all for a while in terms of actual top tier talent.
    I feel you on Blair, but he is a standout awful contract for our team. He would also only explain one player on their team, lets say Chrichton. What about the dozen or so other rep level players?? It's a farce not a conspiracy. It's well known they've achieved this through third party agreements. I'd love to see the warriors get some kind of wealthy benefactor so we could do the same, but I'd imagine that would lead to a crackdown.

Warriors do have development issues, though a significant part of that is Aus teams are very good at poaching NZ talent early. You cannot blame someone from wanting to get into the Storm system. It would be fantastic if we could find a way of turning that into a symbiotic relationship where some of these players are coming back into the warriors system after being developed. Tough though given Aus is a really nice place to live. The storm getting NAS and especially Brandon Smith is a bit of a heart breaker, though a positive for the Kiwi league team. Imagine slotting those two on mid level contracts into the warriors! Only way we're getting em back is over paying.

8. Post
    JPAR wrote:
    I feel you on Blair, but he is a standout awful contract for our team. He would also only explain one player on their team, lets say Chrichton. What about the dozen or so other rep level players?? It's a farce not a conspiracy. It's well known they've achieved this through third party agreements. I'd love to see the warriors get some kind of wealthy benefactor so we could do the same, but I'd imagine that would lead to a crackdown.

Warriors do have development issues, though a significant part of that is Aus teams are very good at poaching NZ talent early. You cannot blame someone from wanting to get into the Storm system. It would be fantastic if we could find a way of turning that into a symbiotic relationship where some of these players are coming back into the warriors system after being developed. Tough though given Aus is a really nice place to live. The storm getting NAS and especially Brandon Smith is a bit of a heart breaker, though a positive for the Kiwi league team. Imagine slotting those two on mid level contracts into the warriors! Only way we're getting em back is over paying.
    They made the TPAs public for 2018 and the Warriors were as high as the Roosters though so? It was the Storm and Donkeys that dwarfed everyone else. Souths, Panthers, Cowboys, Sharks all spent more than both of them. I do agree that it's shit, because the Storm shouldn't be able to spend a million on TPA's while the Roosters and Warriors spend 200k.

What do we think Beale got for coming here as an international rep player only to be never used? probably much more than the Warriors get out of him. What does Hiku get as an international rep player? SJ was on a million a year and didn't give the Warriors a million a year in value. They put big deals on Maumalo and Fus to keep them around, but they're both wingers. Roger is a million dollar player, and he earns it, but that's a lot of cap that we know he's eating. LAM no doubt gets paid plenty, Harris will be on a lot, Luke they bumped his deal back up when the Eels were offering him over 700k so we know he's getting paid well. Green probably gets paid well as again an Australian player coming to NZ. Kodi is getting 500k. There's plenty of money going around there. How you spend it is another thing. Look at a club like Penrith (also with plenty of rep players) they let a player like DWZ go, in comes To'o who looks like an absolute ****ing gun on rookie wages tearing it up for them.

The Roosters had four Origin players this year. The Storm had six, along with Smith who would be there if he wanted to be, and a string of top tier international reps. The Dragons had five, the Broncos had five, even the Knights had five, If you want to include international rep players the Warriors start to get a pretty long list themselves. Even more so if you start adding in former rep players, and players who we know would be reps if they were available like Harris.

Would NAS even be NAS if he didn't go there? If the Warriors picked him up that age he'd probably have been on the Baconator diet with the bros as well.

They have huge development issues. Who was the last elite talent they have developed? Johnson, and he was flawed. Who else? what forwards have they developed? since Matulino/Packer what forwards have they produced? **** all. They don't get any good value out of young players on good deals because they don't make any.

They had CNK on the books and couldn't get it right. Now he's a star for Canberra on a deal where he went there just looking to get a shot at first grade. They wanted to keep persisting with Kata, now he's gone as well. CNK could have had a chance in his spot and be starring for the Warriors instead.

Laumape was clearly behind Hurrell in the pecking order who everyone could tell was flawed as ****. Hurrell ate too much Wendys, washed out to the UK, Laumape is an All Black.

Young prop like Satae that they could get some mileage out of on his early deal, nope he's gone now, wasn't getting opportunities that were getting gobbled up by the 800k man.

There's young guns all over the comp, and in other systems, that are from NZ and Auckland in particular. the Warriors will never be able to catch all of them. They only have so many contracts they can give out, but the ones they are giving out don't seem to be the right ones, that or they aren't developing them well enough once they lock them in. It's not just that the Aussie clubs are good at poaching NZ talent, the Aussie clubs scout talent everywhere, if you're a Sydney club, you'll take a stab at a kid in Queensland if you can get him etc, NZ is just one of multiple territories that produce league talent and in a professional era they're all open to be scouted as needed. We SHOULD have the better look at them because they're in our backyard, if we're letting all of the best ones go, we need to ask what we are doing wrong. We're also ****ing up ones we have.

We produced a long list of great players back when the team was good. Look at the 2011 team, yeah there were some guys from elsewhere, but Mannering, SJ, Locke, LeBrown, Manu, Packer, Rapira, Matulino, Lance, ET, a core of great, Warriors developed players. 02, Ali, Stacey, Toopi, Meli, Toopi, Seuseu, Awen, Lance, Koopu.

What have we produced in this current team? Fus, Maumalo, Jazz? Hiku was a Warriors junior I guess but he made his mark all over the place and then came back here after going to the UK. Papali'i, Afoa, Lisone? really doesn't stack up.

It's all too easy to look at those doing well and point the finger instead of looking in our own backyard and all of our shortcomings that have led us here. Had a great coach, he's gone, replaced with a string of poor options. Could have waited a year on Bellamy but we rushed off and got Elliott instead. Could have had Toovey but we went for old bro Kearney instead.
    Last edited by DOGZILLA; 15th August 2019 at 9:31 pm.

9. Post
    DOGZILLA wrote:
    They made the TPAs public for 2018 and the Warriors were as high as the Roosters though so? It was the Storm and Donkeys that dwarfed everyone else. Souths, Panthers, Cowboys, Sharks all spent more than both of them. I do agree that it's shit, because the Storm shouldn't be able to spend a million on TPA's while the Roosters and Warriors spend 200k.

What do we think Beale got for coming here as an international rep player only to be never used? probably much more than the Warriors get out of him. What does Hiku get as an international rep player? SJ was on a million a year and didn't give the Warriors a million a year in value. They put big deals on Maumalo and Fus to keep them around, but they're both wingers. Roger is a million dollar player, and he earns it, but that's a lot of cap that we know he's eating. LAM no doubt gets paid plenty, Harris will be on a lot, Luke they bumped his deal back up when the Eels were offering him over 700k so we know he's getting paid well. Green probably gets paid well as again an Australian player coming to NZ. Kodi is getting 500k. There's plenty of money going around there. How you spend it is another thing. Look at a club like Penrith (also with plenty of rep players) they let a player like DWZ go, in comes To'o who looks like an absolute ****ing gun on rookie wages tearing it up for them.

The Roosters had four Origin players this year. The Storm had six, along with Smith who would be there if he wanted to be, and a string of top tier international reps. The Dragons had five, the Broncos had five, even the Knights had five, If you want to include international rep players the Warriors start to get a pretty long list themselves. Even more so if you start adding in former rep players, and players who we know would be reps if they were available like Harris.

Would NAS even be NAS if he didn't go there? If the Warriors picked him up that age he'd probably have been on the Baconator diet with the bros as well.

They have huge development issues. Who was the last elite talent they have developed? Johnson, and he was flawed. Who else? what forwards have they developed? since Matulino/Packer what forwards have they produced? **** all. They don't get any good value out of young players on good deals because they don't make any.

They had CNK on the books and couldn't get it right. Now he's a star for Canberra on a deal where he went there just looking to get a shot at first grade. They wanted to keep persisting with Kata, now he's gone as well. CNK could have had a chance in his spot and be starring for the Warriors instead.

Laumape was clearly behind Hurrell in the pecking order who everyone could tell was flawed as ****. Hurrell ate too much Wendys, washed out to the UK, Laumape is an All Black.

Young prop like Satae that they could get some mileage out of on his early deal, nope he's gone now, wasn't getting opportunities that were getting gobbled up by the 800k man.

There's young guns all over the comp, and in other systems, that are from NZ and Auckland in particular. the Warriors will never be able to catch all of them. They only have so many contracts they can give out, but the ones they are giving out don't seem to be the right ones, that or they aren't developing them well enough once they lock them in. It's not just that the Aussie clubs are good at poaching NZ talent, the Aussie clubs scout talent everywhere, if you're a Sydney club, you'll take a stab at a kid in Queensland if you can get him etc, NZ is just one of multiple territories that produce league talent and in a professional era they're all open to be scouted as needed. We SHOULD have the better look at them because they're in our backyard, if we're letting all of the best ones go, we need to ask what we are doing wrong. We're also ****ing up ones we have.

We produced a long list of great players back when the team was good. Look at the 2011 team, yeah there were some guys from elsewhere, but Mannering, SJ, Locke, LeBrown, Manu, Packer, Rapira, Matulino, Lance, ET, a core of great, Warriors developed players. 02, Ali, Stacey, Toopi, Meli, Toopi, Seuseu, Awen, Lance, Koopu.

What have we produced in this current team? Fus, Maumalo, Jazz? Hiku was a Warriors junior I guess but he made his mark all over the place and then came back here after going to the UK. Papali'i, Afoa, Lisone? really doesn't stack up.

It's all too easy to look at those doing well and point the finger instead of looking in our own backyard and all of our shortcomings that have led us here. Had a great coach, he's gone, replaced with a string of poor options. Could have waited a year on Bellamy but we rushed off and got Elliott instead. Could have had Toovey but we went for old bro Kearney instead.
    Quality post mate. Here is an article following our 2010 U20 side that won the comp, some serious talent in there. Likiliki could've been awesome, but like so many players weren't professional enough....but of course we have done away with that team now.... - https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league...e-are-they-now

Sam Lousi is another to go on to bigger things after leaving the Warriors for Wellington. I usd to watch a lot of the U20's back around 2008-09 (iused to prefer watching them at Mt Smart than the prems). A few that come to mind and from googling that had huge potential, but posibly needed a more professional environment to excel - Kevin Locke, Elijah Taylor, Alehana Mara, Issac John, Leeson ah Mau, Ben Matulino, Daniel O'Regan, Upu Poaching, Russel Packer, Steve and Sam Rapira, Nafe Seluini,

10. Post
    Good post Dogz.

I think the removal of the youth comp made the pathway to NRL stardom less linear than it was when it was around, especially for a club like ours too. If you're a young talented player I'm sure you can see the benefit of moving, to say for example, a Sydney-based club, where there are just more competitive opportunities to hone your skills before being blooded into an NRL side. Partly due to geographical convenience and I'm assuming more financial opportunities in lower grades.

When NYC around it was pretty straightforward development through the ranks, if you were especially good you would probably get a few offers from aussie clubs too after you had progressed from the grade.

If you want sporting stardom and you have the talent you're better off playing rugby or moving to aus for league.

11. Post
    If I was a parent of a young superstar kid and a Roosters or Melbourne was knocking with the Warriors he'd be on the plane quick smart for sure. Primarily because I'd be trusting them to turn my kid into the best player he could possibly be.

NYC would have definitely been a compelling lure to draw kids away from Union to get them to League here.

12. Post
    Yeah good post. How do you reckon the development situation can be improved? Warriors are in a fairly rare situation. Breakers did it, even if in a less competitive league.

13. Post
    I don't think we really have the insight from outside to know how these things can be improved, we can only see the results which obviously say this shit isn't working.

But it did work at one point, so we know it's possible.

We've had a string of coaches that have garnered shit results and we haven't developed anything with them at the helm.

I'm still living the dream that we get Toovey one day and let him figure all our shit out, bring who you want, boot out who you want, squirt your Manly juices everywhere.

A lot of things have a domino effect. If you have a strong coach that gets the best out of the team and players want to come play for him suddenly recruiting is easier, suddenly young people are more eager to play for you and stay here because you don't suck.

14. Post
    Bring back John Ackland.

15. Post
    Bring back Daniel Anderson (but it's a shame hes been banned)

16. Post
    Haha suck on that Melbourne.

17. Post
    At 18-0 I was like wtf is this Melbourne team, glad to see them get chased down. Raiders are the real deal. Rabbits on the other hand...

As for tonight, well I had us written off last week and we dealt with Manly. Think we'll need to shock em early like we did Manly, slow the ruck and hope for the rub of the green from the refs.

18. Post
    I'm still not fully sold on Canberra. Great comeback win but it's the first top 4 side they've beaten this year. I think Melbourne and the Roosters are the two real deal teams, Canberra and Manly look a step above everyone else below them though but the comp doesn't seem very deep this year. Don't really give anyone else a shot, Cronulla could upset if the actually make the 8. From five through like 12 it's all much of a muchness.

Sadly all I think the Manly game did was give us some extended false hope, Roosters look great. But in saying that, I gave us no chance against Manly and look what they did, so if we can do it again. Would have been better if Panthers had beaten the Broncos for us.

Souths have broken completely.

Tell me more about the Dogs getting the spoon though. Assuming the Warriors lose to the Roosters, they'll be on the same number of wins and only one point ahead. Dogs have been making some strides lately. Way better than the Dragons

19. Post
    Literally our season on the line with this game. Sadly I don’t think we’re gonna make the 8 this year though, roosters are on another level like you said.

If we do win however and the dragons beat the sharks today as well then next week will be super interesting for a lot of teams trying to scrape through. I know it happens every year but its pretty gutting to know you’ve missed out by 2 or 3 wins given the handful of games where the result was influenced by poor refereeing. The storm game earlier in the year and the eels game recently both come to mind

20. Post
    Bs penalty.

21. Post
    Shoulda lay in the ruck for that one there

22. Post
    High IQ grub work there from Blair

23. Post
    Decent high shot from Blair. Will probably sit out for 3 or 4 games for that

24. Post
    Roosters rolling up field far too easily & Warriors hanging on by a thread. Have a bad feeling the flood gates will open in the 2nd half though.

- - - Updated - - -

zippy wrote:
    Decent high shot from Blair. Will probably sit out for 3 or 4 games for that
    Yep while Sam Burgess got nothing for his one on Moylan.