1. Post

ATTN Spark users, check your plan.

If you're on an old plan from 2 years ago you might be paying more for no benefit.

Old 200 plan unlimited = $130 per month
    New Fiber 200 unlimited = $120 per month
    New Fiber Max unlimited = $130 per month

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	74ca098a7607603f5481b0ac6d044d28.png 
Views:	269 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	227010

2. Post
    Pretty standard Spark practice isn't it? As is the high pricing. Even on new plans you're paying more than people with other providers.

3. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    Pretty standard Spark practice isn't it? As is the high pricing. Even on new plans you're paying more than people with other providers.
    Seems like it, other providers don't shape their traffic do they ?

4. Post
    I'm not sure on that one.

5. Post
    Jebus! I am paying $79 for 200 Unlimited over their network via Bigpipe... actually I am not paying anything at the moment because I got the first 3 months free. Really should check your contract every year, as you can make savings like this.

Also, last year with Slingshot I paid them $50 per month for 6 months for Unlimited Gigabit.

6. Post
    Don't forget to include that pricing is due to Enable special pricing in CHCH. On the same plan, not baaaad at all!

7. Post
    Yeah, I was going to put that, then decided not to. I wouldn't pay them $99.95 for 200Mbit outside of here, being you can get Gigabit from the likes of Slingshot for that.

8. Post
    I'm not sure of any ISP that actively moves users from higher priced plans to lower priced plans?

9. Post
    Not that I know of either. Slingshot's excuse I remember one time was that they legally couldn't...

10. Post
    Bigpipe reduced the price of the plan at some point after Enable reduced the cost to ISP's in CHCH. Spark did not pass on that saving. They said they had no plans to do so either.

Making a new plan with the same specs is just a way they can keep people on more expensive plans. If the new plans cost more, you can bet they'd be contacting you to let you know about the price increase.

When you think about it, what other reason is there to make a new plan, other than to keep people on existing more expensive plans. While staying competitive with whatever the current competition is offering.

Enough companies out their offering better deals that you don't have to put up with that.

11. Post
    I'm pretty happy with 200/20 Vodafone cable for $83 per month.

But looking forward to seeing what isp deals will be available when chorus finish laying fibre in my area.

12. Post
    My wife refuses to drop the landline still. I've only just come out of my spark promotional period, so the Fibre entertainment plan will probably suit me for another 12mths. We do use lightbox here and there, and are big users of Netflix, might just stay as I am. The faster plans would be nice, but can't justify the extra for now.

13. Post
    B|ind-Reaper* wrote:
    My wife refuses to drop the landline still. I've only just come out of my spark promotional period, so the Fibre entertainment plan will probably suit me for another 12mths. We do use lightbox here and there, and are big users of Netflix, might just stay as I am. The faster plans would be nice, but can't justify the extra for now.
    Keep in mind switching to unplan will lose you the bundle up bonus discount if you have that now for mobile+broadband

14. Post
    Landline is easy with the likes of 2talk. Only reason we have landline is for overseas family calls. Truck load of minutes included in $10+gst month plan.

15. Post
    B|ind-Reaper* wrote:
    My wife refuses to drop the landline still.
    I managed to convince my wife we did not need it. Anyone who is really important has our mobile numbers.

16. Post
    Chunky wrote:
    Keep in mind switching to unplan will lose you the bundle up bonus discount if you have that now for mobile+broadband
    we've never had a cell phone on a pay monthly plan. I don't think its worth it compared to the pre-pay plans generally.

KiwiTT wrote:
    I managed to convince my wife we did not need it. Anyone who is really important has our mobile numbers.
    Yea its an ongoing work in progress. About the only way we'll get rid of it, is when the older generation are no longer with us. I'm not really interested in a voip solution either. We barely use the phone, don't need it!

Having said all of that, had a chat to Spark last night, and in actual fact, in total, it was going to cost about $109 to have 100/20, Lightbox, Homeline, and Netflix. We recently upgraded to Netflix premium so if anything we'd get a slight discount on that, but we're going halves with parents in law so doesn't matter really. So ended up signing up with Slingshot. We lose lightbox, but for 104.95 a month we get fastest speed available, homeline, and a mobile plan free for 12 months. So, no skinny required for me, for 12 months, slightly cheaper than spark, and fastest speed available. No brainer really.

Attached Images

Last edited by B|ind-Reaper*; 17th August 2019 at 12:07 pm.

17. Post
    defiant wrote:
    I'm not sure of any ISP that actively moves users from higher priced plans to lower priced plans?
    Vodafone did it for me, but that was yeeaarrrsss ago now.

18. Post
    B|ind-Reaper* wrote:
    So ended up signing up with Slingshot. We lose lightbox, but for 104.95 a month we get fastest speed available, homeline, and a mobile plan free for 12 months. So, no skinny required for me, for 12 months, slightly cheaper than spark, and fastest speed available. No brainer really.
    Sounds like a good deal, pre-fibre days cheaper ISPs would shape speeds in some way but with fiber it seems to be no longer a thing so getting the cheapest option is the way to go it seems.