Page 1 of 2 12 Last

1. Post

2Degrees - how long for new fibre installation

Hi

Do 2Degrees use Chorus to install in Manukau, if so, can a new fibre & ONT installation be done in one visit like Spark say they can do or must I wait for 3 separate visits taking up to a month?

I have rung 2Degrees to be told it's up to 30 days but I don't see why it should take that long!

I am moving into a house in 4 weeks that has fibre in the street but copper overhead to the house

Has anyone had it all done in one visit?

Thanks

2. Post
    Depends. IS the house on a shared driveway and do they have go thru a huge as pile of concrete. As one visit is to scope out the place and the 2nd visit is to do the install etc.. As they have to lay the fibre to even connect to your house. So 30 days is about normal.

3. Post
    It's not shared at all and I thought installation is piggy-backed via the overhead existing copper cable? It's just that I can't understand why Spark could do it in one visit, all going well and no issues, but 2Degrees want 3 visits

I like the 2D deals, much better value than Spark, but waiting 30 days would not keep the wife happy at all

4. Post
    kiwiuk wrote:
    I thought installation is piggy-backed via the overhead existing copper cable?
    No, the whole cable needs to be underground.

I personally doubt that Spark can do what they're saying they can, i.e. do it in one visit.

5. Post
    Yeah I imagine Spark sales team just trying to get you over the line. I'm not sure connections can even be done in one trip.

6. Post
    hehe I've got my fibre up and running with only 1 visit. sigh gotta get in touch with 2degrees tomorrow and see why I'm not getting the 900 mb/s I signed up for

7. Post
    Fibre in a day are for properties that have their current copper service overhead or greenfields subdivisions.
    So the scope,build & connect generally will proceed in 1 visit, if your services overhead. The multi visit is for underground properties.
    When I was younger t0mby used to take me to school...

IN STREET FIGHTER 2!

8. Post
    Bigpipe are claiming my new place can have fibre installed in one visit. I find it hard to believe. It currently has no infrastructure installed on the property. I shall find out next week.

9. Post
    I think mine was one visit. Shallow trench alongside driveway, under a deck, and up into the house. Average install, but it works, and was quick. That was 2 years ago.

10. Post
    Well I’ll know on 30/08 when chorus turn up �� have gone with 2Degrees

11. Post
    in Rotorua Chorus use 2 different teams , one team scopes out what needs doing and where you want to install everything, lots of pictures taken and all this is then sent to the team that installs it at a later date, could be the next day,quite efficient and it seems to work well , my whole install took about 3 days.

12. Post
    Most of mine was already done but we spent ages in trying to get chorus to relocate the wire (as the sub contractor didn't follow the plan at all) as it was right next to my bathhouse and we almost gave up trying to til we just asked to install it anyways and they came along and just relocated it anyways took from 4.30 pm til 7. 30 pm as they only had to cut through a small piece of concrete to get to the place where we first wanted it anyways! They came back the following day to fill in the concrete. Seemed like a tidy job and helped make sure the fibre was working

13. Post
    Chorus called me last night. Apparently they do plan to do the install all in one visit.

Surprised. My last place took three visits. Initial inspection. One to install the ETPs. One to install the ONT.

14. Post
    Had mine done last month
    Inspected to see if could blow up copper ~930am. Nope so dug tench prob 20m all up following very indirect path i asked for (gonna add parking pad so wanted cable well away from where im doing that). Had grass reinstated and fibre working + hooked into my phone lines as i left for work at 2pm

15. Post
    Update to my situation: Chorus legally only need verbal consent. Me saying "yeah my landlord gave consent" and signing the form myself is enough for them. But if I don't actually have consent, then my landlord can take it to the tenancy tribunal as damage to the property.

Landlord wants a permission form with a report detailing what they plan to do for the install, to pass onto the owners to consider.

But Chorus won't do that. They want consent already done in advance before they'll turn up. And they want me to sign the papers on behalf of the owner. I don't have a way to contact Chorus to ask for these in advance, and my ISP can't seem to help me either.

The property will be a standard install, no consent from neighbours or shared driveway. Just follows existing wiring and screws an EPT and ONT in place.

Wtf do I do?

16. Post
    All I know Chorus will send a 15 days notice information pack that include the scoope document about how they going to install to your landlord (pretty much its like a consent pack). So about 20 days if the landlord didn't respond or lodge an objection. Then there will be an installation date set to when will go ahead and have the fibre install.

17. Post
    teelo7 wrote:
    Update to my situation: Chorus legally only need verbal consent. Me saying "yeah my landlord gave consent" and signing the form myself is enough for them. But if I don't actually have consent, then my landlord can take it to the tenancy tribunal as damage to the property.

Landlord wants a permission form with a report detailing what they plan to do for the install, to pass onto the owners to consider.

But Chorus won't do that. They want consent already done in advance before they'll turn up. And they want me to sign the papers on behalf of the owner. I don't have a way to contact Chorus to ask for these in advance, and my ISP can't seem to help me either.

The property will be a standard install, no consent from neighbours or shared driveway. Just follows existing wiring and screws an EPT and ONT in place.

Wtf do I do?
    Firstly is the property current copper service overhead?

Try getting your landlord/Property Manager to come to the address on the initial install date and go through the intended install path/process with the installer, then they can ask questions and sign the consent themselves.
    If they start sitting on their hands, advise them that the subsidized installs are due to expire Dec 2019 and there is a possibility deregulation of the copper could start happening in 2020.
    Last edited by DoubleMANTIS; 24th August 2019 at 1:33 pm. Reason: spelling

IN STREET FIGHTER 2!

18. Post
    Eusso wrote:
    All I know Chorus will send a 15 days notice information pack that include the scoope document about how they going to install to your landlord (pretty much its like a consent pack). So about 20 days if the landlord didn't respond or lodge an objection. Then there will be an installation date set to when will go ahead and have the fibre install.
    They did that to where I live. If no reply by 15 to 20 days they just do it but make sure you keep an eye on on the contractors who dig up the place and speak up if you notice they aren't following the plan. Teelo my best bet is to say to the landlord the consent process has changed a while ago. But try and get them to come over when you have the first intial visit from Chorus so they can get the process from Chorus themselves.

19. Post
    I linked him Chorus' article, his response was:

I need to see a copy of the install plan. Other wise I will expect to be there and then get that in writing. At that stage I will need to know when they will be there.

There are, as I stated, permission forms for this. We don’t want to annoy the owner by taking short-cuts. The link assumes that tenants do everything via verbal communication. Under the agreement that we have this will not suffice.

In the past I have been happy with a written description of the work to be done (this is part of the permission), or a series of photos with annotations.
    He is insisting that everything on the Chorus website, which claims it is all the standard process, is a "short-cut".

I've booked the tech to come around and do the initial inspection tomorrow, I'll give him the forms the tech writes up and see what happens after that.

20. Post
    How long does it take from when they finish doing the work on the whole street till you can ring up and order fibre,they just finished my street,green man holes.

21. Post
    I called them when they were still doing it and got it installed quite quick.

22. Post
    BZP wrote:
    How long does it take from when they finish doing the work on the whole street till you can ring up and order fibre,they just finished my street,green man holes.
    The hand holes are only part of the civil work and can be completed months before. Completion is the splitters are installed in the Flash 9 & connected back to the POLT in the exchange,once this is done normally 2-4 weeks.

IN STREET FIGHTER 2!

23. Post
    Fibre finally installed. Wtf is the point of the new ONTs having wifi and an aerial if we can't actually use it?

24. Post
    hijacking thread: can see contractor fixing up fibre right outside my property. on chorus site said will be ready in dec 2019 but spoken to one of them that it will be ready by 2 weeks? itis possible to get fibre early? or have to wait till end of the year?

25. Post
    Phone ISP in a few weeks and ask them to look into it.