1. Post

How to get the right balance between music and speech?

I love watching my Blu-Rays, but when I play them I have to have the sound up to hear the speech and then when they play event music it is way too loud, so I then have tio turn it down and then I cant hear the speech again.

How can I get around this problem using sound settings on either my blu-ray player, sound system or TV?

2. Post
    Look for a dialogue setting in the surround sound system or just turn up the volume of the center channel.

3. Post
    Might help if you let us know what sound setup you have too.

4. Post
    Panasonic Blu-Ray -> Panasonic TV -> via Headphone Jack -> AUX 2-wire stereo -> Denon with SDB on and two speakers

5. Post
    Is the above method the only way you can set that up? What model is the Denon? SDB?

Really sounds less than ideal to have it set up like that. No pun intended. Sound should be processed by the amp IMO. So Blu Ray plugged into that, with amp plugged into TV.

6. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Panasonic Blu-Ray -> Panasonic TV -> via Headphone Jack -> AUX 2-wire stereo -> Denon with SDB on and two speakers
    Set up sounds less than ideal, are you outputting surround signal from the blu-ray player rather than stereo?

See if you can force the sound through in stereo?

I had similar issues with a Onkyo setup because the surround speakers were mismatched, I ended up having to turn the centre and front speakers up significantly to get around it.

7. Post
    There is no surround signal, they are using a headphone socket to 2 RCA's

8. Post
    Fragluton wrote:
    There is no surround signal, they are using a headphone socket to 2 RCA's
    What I am wondering is if the TV is being delivered surround sound and then mixing it incorrectly when outputting it to 2 chanel, could forcing the Blu-ray player to output in stereo correct this issue.

9. Post
    OK ... I'll take a look at the surround settings on the blue-ray and TV and switch them off.

SDB is Sound Double Bass, i.e. when activated it boosts the bass sounds only, to give a fuller sound.

10. Post
    What model is your speaker system? There's almost certainly a better way of connecting up your equipment

11. Post
    KevinL wrote:
    What model is your speaker system? There's almost certainly a better way of connecting up your equipment
    Denon UD M3 Mini Receiver CD Player Stereo System

Name:  182475745_denon-ud-m3-mini-receiver-cd-player-stereo-system-.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  11.7 KB

12. Post
    KiwiTT wrote:
    Denon UD M3 Mini Receiver CD Player Stereo System

Name:  182475745_denon-ud-m3-mini-receiver-cd-player-stereo-system-.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  11.7 KB
    OK yeah fair

Direct from blu Ray player to the denon would probably be preferable, but then you'd lose TV out and your denon only has one aux input.

Does the TV have another audio out option or just headphone? I assume the blu Ray player doesn't have audio pass through

13. Post
    Setting surround OFF, solved the problem and the variation between sound effects and speech was much improved.

It is funny, my old DVD player had RCA out, but my Blu-Ray did not.

Nevertheless, thanks guys for helping me focus on what I needed to do. Just watched Avengers: Endgame and it was good, even thru the old 1990s era stereo. Technology eh! Never like throwing out stuff if I can find a way to make it work still.

As for alternatives, I'd have to go for optical / digital in stereo gear, and that is probably not needed for the occassional blockbuster movie I watch.

14. Post
    As a blu-ray player is in high definition, it makes no sense to have RCA out. HDMI out, and maybe optical/coaxial outputs if you're lucky.