1. Post

Macos troubles.

Ugggghhhh Macs. So my mother in law's HDD died, no issue got a replacement, thought easy as i had osx installed on USB already when I did the original install. This is on a 2009 MacBook pro.
    Wouldn't let me reinstall with new HDD, and it corrupted my USB, so I went on my Windows laptop and downloaded some dmg files and converted to USB bootables using transmac. No go with any of the distros I tried. Apparently have to install snow leopard so downloaded that onto USB again and no go again get prohibited sign after it boots.

What the hell do I do next? Can anyone with a Mac help me out with copy made on their Mac on USB?

2. Post
    Heck I'd install Linux on it if I can.

3. Post
    ctrl alt del

4. Post
    nzbleach wrote:
    ctrl alt del
    If it was up to me I'd burn it

5. Post
    ludez wrote:
    If it was up to me I'd burn it
    "Sorry, it can't be fixed."

The circuitram has blown the flux capacitors so it can't get any data from the cabledrive.

She's running a 2009 Mac, she'll believe those are things.

Throw in that they don't make any cable drives anymore, even if it could get data, and the new parcel storage arrays won't fit in her parceltray.

6. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    "Sorry, it can't be fixed."

The circuitram has blown the flux capacitors so it can't get any data from the cabledrive.

She's running a 2009 Mac, she'll believe those are things.

Throw in that they don't make any cable drives anymore, even if it could get data, and the new parcel storage arrays won't fit in her parceltray.
    Problem is she needs a laptop and can barely afford food so I'm trying to help her out despite my reluctance of using anything apple.

7. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    "sorry, it can't be fixed."

the circuitram has blown the flux capacitors so it can't get any data from the cabledrive.

She's running a 2009 mac, she'll believe those are things.

lol

8. Post
    well shit. I thought internet recovery was available on 2009. clearly not.

download OSX on some other OSX computer, install it to your USB and install via that?

https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...17-macbook-pro

9. Post
    Undefineed wrote:
    well shit. I thought internet recovery was available on 2009. clearly not.

download OSX on some other OSX computer, install it to your USB and install via that?

https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...17-macbook-pro
    I've got no access to another Mac cheers though

10. Post
    ludez wrote:
    Problem is she needs a laptop and can barely afford food so I'm trying to help her out despite my reluctance of using anything apple.
    Chuck Ubuntu on it.

Anyone who needs a laptop but pooh-poohs a laptop doesn't need a laptop. So Ubuntu should be fine and easy.

11. Post
    suntoucher wrote:
    Chuck Ubuntu on it.

Anyone who needs a laptop but pooh-poohs a laptop doesn't need a laptop. So Ubuntu should be fine and easy.
    I assume I can create a bootables ubuntu from.windows?

12. Post
    Download a snow leopard DVD iso burn to disk, install from DVD.

Assuming anyone has a DVD drive these days :P

13. Post
    ludez wrote:
    I assume I can create a bootables ubuntu from.windows?
    Yep, Rufus will do it. Download ISO. Download Rufus. Select ISO. Select Bootable. Hit go. I've been running dual boot Ubuntu/Windows for 4 weeks now. No dramas as far as it being an OS, only cosmetic complaints like I can't drag to quarters (4k screen) so I have to manually resize after dragging to halves.

Ubuntu for work, Windows for games. I'm happy with it.

Would probably be a better environment if you have no interest in Windows games for basic use. Modern OS (supported by modern browsers etc), has all codecs native for media, etc. Has an effective "app store"

14. Post
    Cheers mate I'll give this a go tonight.

15. Post
    Yeah those Windows based Mac OS img builders arent great. I've had better luck using the Mac OS one (which is a catch 22 in your case).

16. Post
    Flick me a message, happy to courier a USB installer with any Macos version you want ( I have a all versions for work)

Also, those models have an issue with their SATA cables which cause problems like you're having. Happy to send you one of these as well if you want.

17. Post
    A.brdgr wrote:
    Flick me a message, happy to courier a USB installer with any Macos version you want ( I have a all versions for work)

Also, those models have an issue with their SATA cables which cause problems like you're having. Happy to send you one of these as well if you want.
    Legend dude will pm ya