1. Post

Gaming laptop - external 1440p 144hz monitor

Hi guys.

So I'm trying to connect a 1440p 144hz monitor to my gaming laptop that has the horse power.

The laptop has the following connectors :
    USB type 3.1
    Hdmi 2.0
    Mini display port

I am trying to find a way for the dedicated gpu to power the screen but before I spend money on the options, what are your thoughts on the way to get at least 120hz output?

The hdmi does not seem to be working so I thought mini dp - display port cable however I can't find details if this will push the resolution and refresh rate.

Alternatively I go with a usb3.1 cable or dock that has display port compatability. Has anyone on here tried this as yet?

Update :
    Alienware 17r4 is running mini display port 1.2.
    The laptop has a thunderbolt 3 port as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by VOID_NZ; 26th August 2019 at 10:51 am.

2. Post
    The gaming laptop I had had the HDMI hooked up to the IGP only and the mDP hooked up to discrete (GTX 970m).

Meant I couldn't run 4K60p on my second display.

1440p120 (3.7MP x 2) is fewer pixels per second than 4Kp60 (8.3MP) so it should in theory be able to drive it fine but you'll need to make sure you get a cable that can handle the bandwidth. My first mDP to DP cable from PBTech couldn't (no version number) but my second mDP to DP 1.4 cable from Ali could. I think it needs to be a cable of at least version 1.2.

3. Post
    DP should do that, HDMI port would need to be 2.0 and then yea it would depend what is it is wired too, my work laptop has a dGPU but the HDMI port will only do 4K30 have to use USB-C to DP adaptor to get 4K60

Everything is full of stupid case by case limitations.

4. Post
    I would have thought DP would work well. I'd look up the laptop model to see what is connected to what.

I wouldn't expect a USB 3 dock to deliver that. I actually have one right here and a 1440p 144hz monitor so I could actually test it for you if you decide you want to try that. I'm 90% sure it won't work though - well won't work for high refresh/low latency etc.

I'd just try DP.

edit: Just has a look - it looks to me like either DP or HDMI should be connected to the discreet GPU - all of the references to the ports don't differentiate between the ports at all.

5. Post
    Hey guys,

I want to buy a Lenovo laptop and the variant I want (S940) has two options and I don't know which one to pick.

It is a 14 inch laptop and it can have a 1920x1080 display or a 4k one, nothing in between. So I wanted to see if you guys could help me out. The 4k one is 160€ more expensive, the 1080 has a better battery life but 1920x1080 coming from a macbook pro seems like a downgrade. Many consider 4k overkill in a laptop, so any opinions?uc browser shareit appvn

I'll leave some specs below: -Intel I7-1065G7 -16GB RAM -400 Nits(1920x1080)/500 Nits(4k) -52Wh battery -1TB SSD

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by JonathanFernas; 1st December 2019 at 2:37 am.

6. Post
    I think I'd be happy at 1080 in 14".