Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1524

1. Post
    signman wrote:
    SBW's hardly played any rugby yet they still selected him in the squad, as iNx mentioned we really needed his experience in Japan.
    I was about to state that also with Williams absent from Super this year lol - but he has the reputation and sells bums on seat. He was injured also.

But yeah defs would've had Franks over Laulala starting first XV.

2. Post
    iNx wrote:
    I was about to state that also with Williams absent from Super this year lol - but he has the reputation and sells bums on seat. He was injured also.

But yeah defs would've had Franks over Laulala starting first XV.
    Reckon all the bums on seats stuff basically comes more from the media, personally he was always too one-dimensional for me on attack, much prefer a midfield player with the all-round skill sets giving you more options when attacking.

Moody is the only good prop we have over there.

3. Post
    I beg to differ about Williams.

Thing is, you know he's going to offload but the question is, when and how? And you need at least two defenders to stop the big unit from doing it. He did this in league also, you don't know whether he's going to run it straight with the potential of a line break, angle sidestep then offload. He also has the short kick for his teammates to chase as well although not a mastery of that skill.

4. Post
    signman wrote:
    SBW's hardly played any rugby yet they still selected him in the squad, as iNx mentioned we really needed his experience in Japan.
    Franks has been playing though, just not well. I fully understood when Hansen didn't pick him. I dare say I have seen more of him this year being a Crusaders and Canterbury supporter

5. Post
    Money Bill Williams

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-u...28-p534zk.html

Lucky bastard. Wonder if he will take the offer, most likely. Retirement money imo.

6. Post
    iNx wrote:
    I beg to differ about Williams.

Thing is, you know he's going to offload but the question is, when and how? And you need at least two defenders to stop the big unit from doing it. He did this in league also, you don't know whether he's going to run it straight with the potential of a line break, angle sidestep then offload. He also has the short kick for his teammates to chase as well although not a mastery of that skill.
    There's a lot of two man tackling on all players as they're looking to hold a player up to try & get the turnover... the players running off him are well behind the advantage line so if a defence keep their defensive line & move up as a unit is makes it very difficult for a player to get through a gap, hes not the best of steppers & not that fast.

One-handed offloads are more effective in league as there are less players on the field & if you don't lose the ball in the tackle you know you'll keep possession.

7. Post
    HELL KNIGHT wrote:
    Franks has been playing though, just not well. I fully understood when Hansen didn't pick him. I dare say I have seen more of him this year being a Crusaders and Canterbury supporter
    Yeah, you've definitely seen more of Franks than me as you are an one-eye Crusaders/Cant supporter ...honestly though not very impressed with the tighthead props they selected, would've had more confidence with us having Franks over there.

8. Post
    I have to say I'm impressed with the lack of salt from All Blacks fans. I'm sure there is people bitching about the game, but the majority of comments I've seen is just how we got outplayed by a better team.

To be fair there wasn't much controversy about to the game either. Not really any random referee decisions we can blame it on. We were just bad.

9. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    how we got outplayed by a better team.
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    We were just bad.
    So which was it?

I think a better team made us look bad. Remember that it was only 19-7 and England totally dominated every aspect of the game. So we can't have been bad, it just seemed that way. We were beaten by a team executing the perfect Counter-All Blacks gameplan, and we didn't have a back-up plan.

10. Post
    I think like Manc is saying, the talk about how bad we were is really overblown. It was less us being bad and much more England dictating everything and rolling over us.

We weren't given the choice of being better. England said this is what is happening, bend over and take it and we had no choice but to agree. We didn't give them the game through our own shortcomings, we didn't even get an opportunity to really imprint ourselves on the game. That was England's game on their terms and we were simply allowed to standby and watch it unfold. To say we were bad implies we could have done much better, because we aren't bad. But really, we couldn't have done much better because their forwards proved vastly superior to ours and if you play that match again there's no reason that we should expect our forwards to have done any better. Our hope would be that they couldn't replicate their performance. They didn't not show up, they showed up, they just proved to be not at the level required.

11. Post
    Looking forward to the rematch against England, looks like its 7th November 2020.

12. Post
    Mancubus wrote:
    So which was it?

I think a better team made us look bad. Remember that it was only 19-7 and England totally dominated every aspect of the game. So we can't have been bad, it just seemed that way. We were beaten by a team executing the perfect Counter-All Blacks gameplan, and we didn't have a back-up plan.
    It's both, they aren't mutually exclusive. England were by far the better team, but the AB's also played quite shit. England had a lot to do with that through their pressure and tactics, but our performance also could have been better. The amount of ball we gave away through dumb offloads, some really terrible kicking choices, not committing to the breakdown etc. That wasn't England brilliance, that was our errors costing us.

If we hadn't made those silly offloads then maybe we get a penalty in the next couple of phases? What if we kept possession AND field position instead of doing an up and under from their 22? (That kick still baffles me)

These little moments add up to the overall way the game plays out.

13. Post
    Last game of the year and for the veterans that will be departing from the Black jersey.

Your 23-man squad named against Wales for the Bronze Medal.

Details are below in NZT.

14. Post
    Just when you think Mitchell has matured he goes and says some dumb shit.

15. Post
    That game will be on TVNZ an hour delayed by the way. The final will be live.

16. Post
    WeenieBeenie wrote:
    England were by far the better team, but the AB's also played quite shit.
    Exactly, it was a combo of both of those things... we all know that the ABs had too many class players in that game to play shite like that, sometimes you just don't fire, unfortunately it was one of those days.

17. Post
    Ye, honestly, after that performance I've never seen All Blacks look that dreadful. Maybe pressure was on that it took a heavy toll on their mental gratitude or they were physically exhausted from the previous game against Ireland - they were the favorites in the bookies, high expectations as usual. But it's sport and whats make it interesting is upsets do occur, its what creates a story.

Still salty though, would've been nice to see a three-peat but oh well life goes on.

Hands down, they are still the best team in the world, one loss does not define their dominance. 12 years of conquer on international level. You're bound to lose sometime.

18. Post
    Take nothing away from England though. In 2015 they had a great squad that was coached wrongly (not poorly) that had the focus on the wrong area of the game. Think 2003 America's Cup when the team NZ boat was built for a very specific set of wind conditions that didn't eventuate.

Eddie started with a very good base that just had a few areas of weakness that he had 4 years to sort out. I follow EVERYTHING world rugby and I remember them talking about a NZ England semi final clash back in late 2017.... this game was one they pretty much knew they'd be up for and it shows. Eddie always said you couldn't call yourselves the best until you can beat the best at their own game, consistently.... and they've certainly taken a step towards that this week.

19. Post
    The England Rugby "Rising Sons" series on youtube has been brilliant, following their every week since the World Cup prep started in earnest.

20. Post
    Anyone going to watch the game tonight?

21. Post
    iNx wrote:
    Anyone going to watch the game tonight?
    Of course!

22. Post
    Probably.

I'd expect a comfortable win by the ABs, Wales look pretty battered and injured after the SA game.

I don't see England losing the final after how both teams played last week. The English were merciless, executed their gameplan perfectly, countered all attacks and I have never seen a team put the ABs under that sustained pressure before. Whereas SA were sloppy, predictable, kicked too much and gave away heaps of penalties.

23. Post
    Yeah, but the All Blacks also played a clinical game the week before and couldn't do it it again the following week. And that is the best England has played in 10 years. Hope SA can get up for it.

24. Post
    I'm going to be a bit late. Going to have to miss the haka

25. Post
    Just going to watch it an hour delayed on TVNZ.